Jeff Dantzler

Default HILTI angle grinder quality???

I've been looking around for some extra angle grinders so that I don't
have to constantly switch between grinding disc, cutoff wheel, cup brush,
etc--just grab and go.

I found a local guy who has some Hilti angle grinders for sale. The model
number is DC 700-S and the Hilti link is he

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-12561

Can any one comment on the quality of these units? I am familiar with the
Hilti rotohammers and their quality is second to none. I didn't realize
that they even made angle grinders.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff Dantzler

mylastname at d r i z z l e , c o m
Jeff Dantzler

I checked out that Hilti grinder last night and decided to pass on it.
This is a 15.5A, 7" grinder that comes with a diamond cutting wheel
and a thin abrasive "grinding" wheel that I would have called a cutoff
wheel.

The no-load speed on the label turned out to 11,000rpm as opposed to the
8,500rpm listed on the Hilti site. This limits the wheels I could use
considerably. I'm still looking for a grunty lower rpm grinder to keep a
grinding disc or cup brush on and 11,000 rpm would be scary-fast.
This Hilti looks to be more suitable for cutting stuff--including masonry.

Another thing I noticed was that the guard was a lot thinner metal than
the one on my 6" Porter Cable (=FLEX) grinder.

Cheers,

JLD