Jon Weaver

Default When using an angle grinder, should the blade spin towards or away from you?

I have been cutting some slabs and found that by rotating the guard on
my 230mm grinder, I could use it 2 ways:

1. Blade spins towards you.

In this method, the the dust fires AWAY from you, BUT if/when the
grinder kicks, it will come towards you.

2. Blad spins away from you

Now you get the dust firing in to your leg, but grinder would now
'kick' away from you!.

I am guessing that the 2nd of these is the safest, but which is
correct?
Matt

"Jon Weaver" wrote in message
om...

2. Blad spins away from you

Now you get the dust firing in to your leg, but grinder would now
'kick' away from you!.

I am guessing that the 2nd of these is the safest, but which is
correct?

I've always used mine this way. Seems the safest to me - though shortly
after getting my first grinder, when cutting some metal pipe, I nearly set
myself alight (a slight exageration I melted a hole in my fleece but it
could have been a lot worse) So now I'm always careful as to where the waste
flies.

Matt

---

Rob Graham

"Matt" wrote in message ...
"Jon Weaver" wrote in message
om...

2. Blad spins away from you

Now you get the dust firing in to your leg, but grinder would now
'kick' away from you!.

I am guessing that the 2nd of these is the safest, but which is
correct?

I've always used mine this way. Seems the safest to me - though shortly
after getting my first grinder, when cutting some metal pipe, I nearly set
myself alight (a slight exageration I melted a hole in my fleece but it
could have been a lot worse) So now I'm always careful as to where the waste
flies.

Matt

Sparks from metal grinding are very dangerous - my father set his
workshop on fire and died in it. We reckon that he was grinding metal.

Rob