Andy Dingley

Default When using an angle grinder, should the blade spin towards or away from you?

On 31 Jul 2003 09:28:51 -0700, (Jon Weaver)
wrote:

I have been cutting some slabs and found that by rotating the guard on
my 230mm grinder, I could use it 2 ways:

Sparks away from you, kicks towards you.

When a grinder kicks (unlike a chainsaw) it will tend to kick in a
fairly straight and predictable manner. It doesn't tend to twist and
buck. You can resist this quite easily. Besides which, grinders don;t
kick in anything like the way that saws do.

One hazard you do find with 9" grinders is the gyroscopic effect of
the disk. I don't much like mine because of this, and tend to use a 7"
flap wheel for much of the time. A 9" grinder is also slower than a 4
1/2", so the wheel linear speed is about the same. Unless you really
need the motor power, there's not really much extra capacity to a 9"
and they're much more awkward.