Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Default Woodworking school recommendations wanted.

Hi - I have a sabatical coming up and thought about going to a woodworking
school to hone my skills / take them up a notch. I do functional stuff and
have built most of the case goods in my house. Not into Chippendale, 19th
Century ... 'fancy' stuff. I like Greene and Greene style.
I'd like to take a poll and get recommendations for and against any schools
the community has experience with. I'm looking for something 1 - 2 weeks
long and would consider any part of the country.
TIA for recommendations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dear me,

Wow, you have your pick if anywhere in the country!

Marc Adams, College of the Redwoods, American Sycamore are the
more formal schools that might have short programs.

Then there are individuals - Dave Marks, Patrick Warner are two
that I know have instructional classes or one/on/ones. There are
others.

You need to figure out your needs - what new thing do you
want to learn (dovetail joinery, french polishing, chair making,
etc.)?
Figure on your budget (including hotel room, meals, air/car fare).
Then you can do a search.

Take whatever suggestions you get and balance them out with your
parameters of what I suggested and get going!

For me, there's nothing better than one/on/one or a specific class
on a tool (table saw, router, etc).

Good luck!

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2010 7:28 PM, me wrote:
Hi - I have a sabatical coming up and thought about going to a woodworking
school to hone my skills / take them up a notch. I do functional stuff and
have built most of the case goods in my house. Not into Chippendale, 19th
Century ... 'fancy' stuff. I like Greene and Greene style.
I'd like to take a poll and get recommendations for and against any schools
the community has experience with. I'm looking for something 1 - 2 weeks
long and would consider any part of the country.
TIA for recommendations.

This organization has shown an increasing presence at the various woodworking
shows I've attended in recent years, and taking some time out to attend one of
their classes is on my long list of to-dos:

http://www.homesteadheritage-woodworking.com/

I've been to their facility for their annual crafts fair:

http://www.homesteadcraftfair.com/

and it was a very enjoyable experience; I don't doubt that their woodworking
classes would be just as enjoyable.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.