Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Choice of GLUE for cutting board project

As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

I am leaning towards using epoxy (West Systems) but am also considering
other watherproof glue choices like Tightbond III or polyurethane glue.

Any suggestions regarding pros/cons for this application?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

I am leaning towards using epoxy (West Systems) but am also considering
other watherproof glue choices like Tightbond III or polyurethane glue.

Any suggestions regarding pros/cons for this application?

Thanks

I've had good results with Titebond III

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote in
:

As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

I am leaning towards using epoxy (West Systems) but am also considering
other watherproof glue choices like Tightbond III or polyurethane glue.

Any suggestions regarding pros/cons for this application?

Thanks

If you're concerned about suitability for food contact, be sure to read
the label or call the manufacturer. I believe my bottle of Titebond II
says it's ok for indirect food contact, Titebond III is probably the same
way.

When you get to finishes for the cutting board, there's plenty of recent
discussion in the archives about what to use.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

I am leaning towards using epoxy (West Systems) but am also
considering other watherproof glue choices like Tightbond III or
polyurethane glue.

Any suggestions regarding pros/cons for this application?

1. You don't need water proof, water resistant is plenty. You aren't - or
at least shouldn't be - doing anymore than wiping it off with a damp rag.
Most of the time there is no point in doing even that with bread, just brush
off the crumbs.

2. Epoxy is OK but so is TiteBond ll. My bread board was glued with that 16
years ago and is still going strong.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2010 7:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:
blueman wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

I am leaning towards using epoxy (West Systems) but am also
considering other watherproof glue choices like Tightbond III or
polyurethane glue.

Any suggestions regarding pros/cons for this application?

1. You don't need water proof, water resistant is plenty. You aren't - or
at least shouldn't be - doing anymore than wiping it off with a damp rag.
Most of the time there is no point in doing even that with bread, just brush
off the crumbs.

2. Epoxy is OK but so is TiteBond ll. My bread board was glued with that 16
years ago and is still going strong.

I completely agree, TB II is plenty, but if you have III go ahead and
use it. OTOH, polyurethane failed me completely. I have really gone off
the stuff, TB II or TB III is my goto glue these days.

Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use epoxy. It allows for much more fuss around time and is fully
waterproof.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 01:26:25 -0500, blueman wrote:

As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

I am leaning towards using epoxy (West Systems) but am also considering
other watherproof glue choices like Tightbond III or polyurethane glue.

Any suggestions regarding pros/cons for this application?

Thanks

I use yellow Elmer's carpenter's glue for cutting boards. None have
fallen apart, but I don't soak them in water either. Not sure what
other ingredients are added for outdoor glues, so that makes me leery.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
blueman wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

2. Epoxy is OK but so is TiteBond ll. My bread board was glued with that 16
years ago and is still going strong.

I used Elmer's Wood Workers glue 35 years ago figuring if it ever came
apart I could re-glue the sucker. I made it, (and a bunch of others as
gifts) out of firewood, maple, cherry and walnut. Not one ever came
apart, and they have been washed in soap and water 1000's of times. I
wouldn't put them in the dishwasher, nor soak them for long periods in
hot dish water, but I wouldn't be surprised if the wife has done both.
My guess is Titebond II is the exact same stuff. Oh, the finish I used
is air, regular air from Pittsburgh.

If it were me (and it was) I'd use whatever I normally use to glue wood,
and not wring my hands over it. If it ever comes apart (not likely)
find a woodworker you know to re-glue it.

--
Jack
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yowsa! That ****'s caustic, isn't it?

--
"Once upon a time, The END."
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
On 02/22/2010 10:16 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Oh, the finish I usedis air, regular air from Pittsburgh.

Yowsa! That ****'s caustic, isn't it?

Used to be, now it's mostly hot air from government workers....

Feels good but is even more caustic than the mills!

--
Jack
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong