Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Choice of GLUE for cutting board project

dadiOH wrote:
blueman wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post, I am planning on building a bread
cutting board.

Obviously, I need a waterproof glue but I'm not sure which glue gives
the best performance in terms of long-term strength, water-resistance,
and non-toxicity.

2. Epoxy is OK but so is TiteBond ll. My bread board was glued with that 16
years ago and is still going strong.

I used Elmer's Wood Workers glue 35 years ago figuring if it ever came
apart I could re-glue the sucker. I made it, (and a bunch of others as
gifts) out of firewood, maple, cherry and walnut. Not one ever came
apart, and they have been washed in soap and water 1000's of times. I
wouldn't put them in the dishwasher, nor soak them for long periods in
hot dish water, but I wouldn't be surprised if the wife has done both.
My guess is Titebond II is the exact same stuff. Oh, the finish I used
is air, regular air from Pittsburgh.

If it were me (and it was) I'd use whatever I normally use to glue wood,
and not wring my hands over it. If it ever comes apart (not likely)
find a woodworker you know to re-glue it.

--
Jack
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.