Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Follow up on the Multimaster post

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 2/20/10 1:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Lee wrote in message

wrote in message
m...
wrote:
If you aren't ready to jump on the bag o' tools that Ridgid is
offering that has a multitool in it, you might want to check out HF's
new variable speed multitool.

They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine.
Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes
with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49.

Where did you discover this tool and its sale price?

HF's main page and search engine don't seem to know about it.

HF had a flyer in the local paper that showed this item. But you are
right. It is hard to find. They give it some kinda funny name. Probably
appease the competition's lawyers.

Here it is, right on the opening page. They call it a multi-function
power
tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Nope.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=67537
--

Sure, but the point I was making was that there is a particular name for the
tool. I asked for it before and nobody would give it to me. And if you LOOK

The problem that Bub had, just as I had, was that everybody refers to this
item as a "Fein knockoff". And it may be that, but HF would never call it
that or acknowdge that what it was. So it is very helpful if people give
the actual name of the item. It makes it much easier to find. I looked for
it before and could not find it. I think that the only reason I found it
recently is because HF is actively promoting this item and I finally got to
see it and a name for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/10 1:38 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/20/10 1:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Lee wrote in message

wrote in message
m...
wrote:
[...]

But you didn't find it. You found the old one.
He was talking about the new variable speed multitool.

I cut and pasted "variable speed multitool" from his post, with Harbor
Freight, into google and there it was on the first page.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Sure, but the point I was making was that there is a particular name
for the tool. I asked for it before and nobody would give it to me.
And if you LOOK at the opening page, right smack dab in the middle of
the screen is the afore mentioned multi-function power tool. Right
where I said it was.

Does the one to which you point fit the OP's description?

"HF's new variable speed multitool.

"They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine.
Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes
with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49."

Is the one you found VARIABLE speed? Does it come in a COMPACT CASE? Is if
FORTY-NINE BUCKS?

If the one you found does not meet all three of these descriptors, my
question is still open: Where is it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2010 5:04 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Lee Michaels wrote:

Sure, but the point I was making was that there is a particular name
for the tool. I asked for it before and nobody would give it to me.
And if you LOOK at the opening page, right smack dab in the middle of
the screen is the afore mentioned multi-function power tool. Right
where I said it was.

Does the one to which you point fit the OP's description?

"HF's new variable speed multitool.

"They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine.
Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes
with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49."

Is the one you found VARIABLE speed? Does it come in a COMPACT CASE? Is if
FORTY-NINE BUCKS?

If the one you found does not meet all three of these descriptors, my
question is still open: Where is it?

Right here, where someone said it was:

(Except it's not $49, it's HF "list" of $80 minus a penny. It's left as
an exercise for the reader to find the coupons that allow one to buy it
for less.)

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:28:35 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 2/20/10 1:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Lee wrote in message news:...

wrote in message
m...
wrote:
If you aren't ready to jump on the bag o' tools that Ridgid is
offering that has a multitool in it, you might want to check out HF's
new variable speed multitool.

They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine.
Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes
with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49.

Where did you discover this tool and its sale price?

HF's main page and search engine don't seem to know about it.

HF had a flyer in the local paper that showed this item. But you are
right. It is hard to find. They give it some kinda funny name. Probably to
appease the competition's lawyers.

Here it is, right on the opening page. They call it a multi-function power
tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

That's what I have. Hey, check this out:
Looks damned handy. On my wishlist it goes...

Nope.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=67537

Is the variable speed worthwhile, Bri^H^H^HMike? giggle

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
-- Clarence Darrow
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 20, 7:04 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

Does the one to which you point fit the OP's description?

That would be me.

"HF's new variable speed multitool.

"They have it on sale now and it is a pretty nice looking machine.
Seems better built that the Rockwell (Sonicrafter ?) machine and comes
with a pile of blades in a compact case. Sale price is $49."

Is the one you found VARIABLE speed? Does it come in a COMPACT CASE? Is if
FORTY-NINE BUCKS?

If the one you found does not meet all three of these descriptors, my
question is still open: Where is it?

The link to the $79 tool shows the correct tool. However, as pointed
out to me by local HF employees, not all stores have the same sales.
They have "regional" sales. Not all local stores honor the website
(national) pricing. I have been in the store to buy nitrile gloves
(best deal going when they are on sale, like their leather work
gloves) and found them on sale on the website. However, from time to
time they won't honor the price in the store and tell me that I need
to order online to get that price.

Conversely, like you see on the link, the variable speed model isn't
on sale nationally. In the LOCAL store it was $49, and additionally
almost all the blades for both models were on sale as well. I saw the
blades on the link next to the tool, and I noticed they weren't on
sale as they are locally.

If you want to get on board with a lot of sales that aren't
advertised, or to receive coupons that beat their sale prices from
time to time, sign up next time you are in the store. They will email
you the ads and coupons.

I wouldn't worry about it. They told me they are selling dickens out
of those tools, so that means they will be on sale off and on
everywhere for a couple of years (once month?) until the dust settles
on the product.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.

As for not honoring an internet sale price, unless the web site had a
disclaimer such as "valid only for internet sales," I'd fuss like the third
monkey on Noah's gangplank.