Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Video of Shop Made Sacrificial Fence Clamps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Pics to follow.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Pics to follow.

Cheap, quick and slick. I need to figure out a way to make something like
that work with my Unifence. The odd shape makes attaching to it problematic

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/10 10:33 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Pics to follow.

Cheap, quick and slick. I need to figure out a way to make something like
that work with my Unifence. The odd shape makes attaching to it problematic

Those things are so high and thin at the top, that you could probably
just use regular clamps to hold a sheet against it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Pics to follow.

Cheap, quick and slick. I need to figure out a way to make something
like
that work with my Unifence. The odd shape makes attaching to it
problematic

Those things are so high and thin at the top, that you could probably
just use regular clamps to hold a sheet against it.

The problem is that they are also coved in. There is a thin lip, but it
is thin enough that anchoring a clamp on it doesn't always work well.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 11:33*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

*"I need to figure out a way to make something like that work with my
Unifence." Rob Leatham

I made one using a block of wood and two cheap pistol grip clamps ($
0.99 @ HFT). The next size up clamp might prove better for the (larger/
thicker) Uni-Fence. I like the PG Clamps as they aoffer a "quick
release" button that, combined with the pistol grip clamping action,
makes attaching and adjusting the SF a snap - as opposed to using
"wing nuts" and the like.

From what I can see of the video,the OP is taking a similar approach
but using a "bolt-on clamp" to hold the SF to the blade side of the
fence in the same manner my modified Pistol Grip Clamps employ (rod on
clamp that slips into quarter-inch hole drilled into SF block).

I'm on Dialup so YOU TUBE is impossibly slow. I have some pictures if
anyone is interested - send me an e-mail. If anyone can tell me where
to upload them for this group, I will try that.

My approach requites fixing a quarter-inch steel rod/dowel to the end
of the bar clamp after removng the "factory" end. Then, you slip the
dowel end into the SF and the clamp over the saw fence and clamp in
place. So simple a cave man could do it.

http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=sacfence.gif

The link, above, may work. Lemme know

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/10 10:11 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I'm on Dialup so YOU TUBE is impossibly slow. I have some pictures if
anyone is interested - send me an e-mail. If anyone can tell me where
to upload them for this group, I will try that.

I posted some pics in separate thread.

My approach requites fixing a quarter-inch steel rod/dowel to the end
of the bar clamp after removng the "factory" end. Then, you slip the
dowel end into the SF and the clamp over the saw fence and clamp in
place. So simple a cave man could do it.

http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=sacfence.gif

The link, above, may work. Lemme know

Yet another reason for me to buy a welder. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 6:39*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

That's some pretty slick thinking there, Mike.
Thank you for sharing that with us.

PS. Cutting those square u-hangers to make l-shapes is going to be
solving all kinds of application-problems as hold-downs for my router.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/10 12:15 PM, Robatoy wrote:
PS. Cutting those square u-hangers to make l-shapes is going to be
solving all kinds of application-problems as hold-downs for my router.

They seem to have gone up in price (what else is new?)...4 bucks seems a
little steep.

I thought about getting a long bolt and putting the right angle in by
cutting a notch, torching it, and bending, but then 4 bucks didn't seem
so bad. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 17, 1:24*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/17/10 12:15 PM, Robatoy wrote:

PS. Cutting those square u-hangers to make l-shapes is going to be
solving all kinds of application-problems as hold-downs for my router.

They seem to have gone up in price (what else is new?)...4 bucks seems a
little steep.

I thought about getting a long bolt and putting the right angle in by
cutting a notch, torching it, and bending, but then 4 bucks didn't seem
so bad. * :-)

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

hey, they're only 2 bucks apiece... and a free mend-plate and some
nuts and stuff. NEVER enough stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/10 12:39 PM, Robatoy wrote:
PS. Cutting those square u-hangers to make l-shapes is going to be
solving all kinds of application-problems as hold-downs for my router.

They seem to have gone up in price (what else is new?)...4 bucks seems a
little steep.

I thought about getting a long bolt and putting the right angle in by
cutting a notch, torching it, and bending, but then 4 bucks didn't seem
so bad. :-)

hey, they're only 2 bucks apiece... and a free mend-plate and some
nuts and stuff. NEVER enough stuff.

You can never have too many nuts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:39:49 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Works for me! Thanks, Brain.

Pics to follow.

Um, Brian. You said "bess-a-mer". It's "beece-my-er" unless you're
making steel.

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
-- Clarence Darrow
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/10 9:23 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:39:49 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Works for me! Thanks, Brain.

It's nice to give thanks to your brain for everything it helps you
understand. :-p

Pics to follow.

Um, Brian. You said "bess-a-mer". It's "beece-my-er" unless you're
making steel.

Um, Larry. You said, "Brian." It's "Mike," unless you're talking to
one of my other personalities. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:30:11 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 2/18/10 9:23 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:39:49 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4eA_v4RY4

5 bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks
from Rockler.

Works for me! Thanks, Brain.

It's nice to give thanks to your brain for everything it helps you
understand. :-p

Pics to follow.

Um, Brian. You said "bess-a-mer". It's "beece-my-er" unless you're
making steel.

Um, Larry. You said, "Brian." It's "Mike," unless you're talking to
one of my other personalities. :-)

Details, details. blush