Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shopsmithless in Grass Valley

Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bernard" wrote in message
Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed

Regardless of what you do, you need this url: http://www.shopsmith.com/

Closest service is Whittier, CA or West Valley, UT.

Go through the web site Thoroughly! They have a lot of information that
could help you get your V running again. Look under service tips. Example:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/s...ilingmarkv.htm

Manuals are available:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/OM_MARKV.htm

Good luck,
LD

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bernard" wrote in message
Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed

What's to refurbish? I don't use a Shopsmith, but most large power tools
wouldn't require much more than a little time to clean up the rust from the
table, and blow the dust off the rest of the machine. I wouldn't refurbish
anything that didn't need it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

What's to refurbish? *I don't use a Shopsmith, but most large power tools
wouldn't require much more than a little time to clean up the rust from the
table, and blow the dust off the rest of the machine. *I wouldn't refurbish
anything that didn't need it.

--

-Mike-

I agree with Mike, especially if the machine hasn't been used much. A
serious cleanup and inspection might be in order. I am not familiar
with the SS drive system but if it contains belts they might have
dried out and need to be replaced. From what exposure I have they are
considered to be pretty reliable machines.

Might keep an eye on local classifieds, Craigslist, etc for
accessories. When we lived among a larger population Shopsmiths and
accessories were listed from time to time at pretty reasonable prices.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Battels Hd'we
Whittier Blvd
Whittier, CA
1-562-698-3714

Maintains an inventory of spare parts for ShopSmith.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:57:26 -0800 (PST), Ed Bernard
wrote:

Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed

There is a clear advantage in doing the job yourself. Find articles
on Shopsmith tuneup and do some reading/learning and you will know
what to do. I'd have a lot of concern giving it to someone else,
except blade sharpening but even that is a good-to-know skill. I know
all of my equipment and I too have an IT career. Most of my manuals
I use are e-manuals, lots of online help from manufacturers too. Good
luck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Bernard wrote in news:ced28a93-4785-4bd7-9e1f-
:

Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

One of the things about Shopsmiths is that they are "adjustable". They
are great machines, and still well supported, but the precision is in how
well YOU set them up. Rather than spend a fortune making them rigid &
precise, they made them so they could aligned by the user. The setup &
tune up instructions are all very clear, and you can even buy refurb kits
with everything you are likely to need to overhaul yours. They have made
some design improvements over the years, and you can also get upgrade
kits.

I would take advantage of the good support & documentation, and do it
yourself. As someone else posted, it may not need much, but a new belt
for the variable speed drive is probably an excellent idea.

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bernard" wrote in message
Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed

Check Yahoo groups for a couple of SS groups. The largest is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SSusers/?yguid=63129193 A lot of good info!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

Might keep an eye on local classifieds, Craigslist, etc for
accessories. When we lived among a larger population Shopsmiths and
accessories were listed from time to time at pretty reasonable prices.

I saw one on CL recently (still in the original box, never assembled!) first
advertised for $1,200, it ended up selling for under $900 if memory serves.
I'm surprised at how many are out there, some folks try to get big bucks for
them but they mostly seem to go for under a thousand unless they have lots
of major accessories.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Bernard wrote:

Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed

I've had one for 20 years but don't use it much any more unless it's for
vertical boring or blum hinge holes. Not much goes wrong with them. Maybe
replace the belt, clean and wax the guide rails.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2010 11:57 PM Ed Bernard spake thus:

Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 [...]

If you're going to live in the *Sierra*, you might want to learn the
correct use of it (the word is a plural noun in Spanish).

Very common mistake, by the way.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:57:26 -0800 (PST), Ed Bernard wrote:

Hi all. I have a Shopsmith Mark V that I obtained in 1987 and used
two or three times at most. I moved from the Montreal area
(relatively humid in summer, dry in winter) to the Sierras in
California in 2001 (a little humid in winter, dry in summer) and
haven't started it or anything in all that time. Getting back into
serious woodworking (more than just banging 2 x 4s together), I wanted
to refurbish it. I'm a little uneasy with the idea of not finding
parts or just messing up the job. In your opinion (hopefully based on
experience with the same or similar equipment), is it worth my while
to hire the job out to someone who does professional equipment
restoration, or is this something that a woodworking IT person could
do? All opinions are gratefully welcomed. Take care.

Ed

I did one years ago.. belt replacement, new speed control unit and a few other
"tune up" items..

It was my first try at working on power tools and I found that all parts are
available from Shopsmith, as well as detailed instructions with pictures..
If you can use a wrench and screwdriver, you can work on one..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing