Posted to rec.woodworking

Default refinish help

I have an old solid wood filing cabinet I got for free. Nothing
special. Soft wood. In bad shape, old stain and poly type finish
looks terrible. Several bad places need repair.
I took it completely apart, stripped the finish, and sanded it to
220 grit. Repaired several parts with new wood. Made a new top, and
used wood puty in several bad places. Reassembled with screws and
glue instead of nails.
Used ebony stain hoping to cover the differences the stain would
cover with the old wood, new wood used in the repairs, and the repairs
made with the puty. Looks TERRIBLE.
Now I plan to just paint it a dark brown. I don't know what else
to do to make it look presentable.
Question is..... do I need to strip it again before I paint it?
Any other suggestions or help would be apperciated.

Thanks,
George aka Bumhead
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:53:01 -0600, bumhead wrote:

Question is..... do I need to strip it again before I paint it? Any
other suggestions or help would be apperciated.

Wipe on a coat or two of SealCoat and follow with the paint.

Need to refinish my table top Walter R. Home Repair 19 May 8th 07 01:17 AM
bathtub refinish orfbound Home Repair 5 December 19th 06 03:26 AM
Bathtub refinish James B Home Repair 8 January 12th 06 12:12 AM
Help with refinish Cindy Woodworking 6 March 27th 05 04:36 AM
Refinish Fireplace Johnny Home Repair 1 August 6th 03 02:07 PM