Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thanks Swingman, Gripper System

Sometime back before I got hurt you had written something up about the
gripper system push block. I happened to pick one up because of
that. Today I had to cut quite a few oddball small pieces for a
project. What a great tool, always felt as though I had total
control of the small pieces.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2010 9:45 PM, Mike M wrote:
Sometime back before I got hurt you had written something up about the
gripper system push block. I happened to pick one up because of
that. Today I had to cut quite a few oddball small pieces for a
project. What a great tool, always felt as though I had total
control of the small pieces.

Mike M

The Gripper is fabulous product - so fabulous that you really need two of them
(trust me, you will).

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:06:19 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 2/5/2010 9:45 PM, Mike M wrote:
Sometime back before I got hurt you had written something up about the
gripper system push block. I happened to pick one up because of
that. Today I had to cut quite a few oddball small pieces for a
project. What a great tool, always felt as though I had total
control of the small pieces.

Mike M

The Gripper is fabulous product - so fabulous that you really need two of them
(trust me, you will).

Well actually thinking of long skinny pieces I can see your probably
right.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2010 9:45 PM, Mike M wrote:

Sometime back before I got hurt you had written something up about the
gripper system push block. I happened to pick one up because of
that. Today I had to cut quite a few oddball small pieces for a
project. What a great tool, always felt as though I had total
control of the small pieces.

You're more than welcome ... they basically become extensions of my
hands on most tasks on the table saw, router table, and jointer.

Steve's right ... you will eventually want two.

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously
declare the grippers are too expensive and they can make something
instead ... may be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to
put my trust in a safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers
are more than worthy in that regard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously declare
the grippers are too expensive and they can make something instead ... may
be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to put my trust in a
safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers are more than
worthy in that regard.
--

And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands worth?"

#1 reason to own 2 is for production ripping narrow pieces where the gripper
eventually becomes to narrow to be stabley balanced on top of a narrow
piece, less than 1.5" or so. The second gripper with its "jack" leg
attached will keep it from rocking even on the narrowest of pieces is worth
its weight in gold.

#1 reason to own 2 is for production ripping narrow pieces where the gripper
eventually becomes to narrow to be stabley balanced on top of a narrow
piece, less than 1.5" or so. The second gripper with its "jack" leg
attached will keep it from rocking even on the narrowest of pieces is worth
its weight in gold.

You're right about that. As we've discussed before, about the only thing
I don't like is that it is difficult to use them on narrow stock in
conjunction with many featherboards, particularly the magnetic ones.

Not the grippers fault, but it would be nice ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously
declare the grippers are too expensive and they can make something
instead ... may be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to
put my trust in a safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers
are more than worthy in that regard.
--

And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands worth?"

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet.
"How much is your brain worth"

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Max wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Swingman" wrote

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously
declare the grippers are too expensive and they can make something
instead ... may be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to
put my trust in a safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers
are more than worthy in that regard.
--

And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands worth?"

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet.
"How much is your brain worth"

There are those who would question the worth of that metric, when a
_motorcyclist_ is involved. *GRIN*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robert Bonomi" wrote
Max wrote:

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet.
"How much is your brain worth"

There are those who would question the worth of that metric, when a
_motorcyclist_ is involved. *GRIN*

LOL. I had motorcycles for years and I suspect your right.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-02-06 09:43:13 -0500, Swingman said:

You're more than welcome ... they basically become extensions of my
hands on most tasks on the table saw, router table, and jointer.

Steve's right ... you will eventually want two.

I just got here... can you give a link? Safety enhancements in the shop
are a good thing, no matter the cost. (The cost to repair a
partially-severed finger tendon -- a relatively minor procedure --
would buy a nice SawStop. I'd rather have the tool.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.microjig.com/ Woodcraft has them on sale on occasion, and
amazon has them as well. They come in a couple of different
configurations of accessories.

Mike M

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 00:10:58 -0500, Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

g.com...
On 2010-02-06 09:43:13 -0500, Swingman said:

You're more than welcome ... they basically become extensions of my hands
on most tasks on the table saw, router table, and jointer.

Steve's right ... you will eventually want two.

I just got here... can you give a link? Safety enhancements in the shop
are a good thing, no matter the cost. (The cost to repair a
partially-severed finger tendon -- a relatively minor procedure --
would buy a nice SawStop. I'd rather have the tool.)

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:28:55 -0700, the infamous "Max"
scrawled the following:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Swingman" wrote

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously
declare the grippers are too expensive and they can make something
instead ... may be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to
put my trust in a safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers
are more than worthy in that regard.
--

And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands worth?"

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet.
"How much is your brain worth"

If it's freeway ridin', why wear a helmet? You want to SURVIVE that
kind of a crash?

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:28:55 -0700, the infamous "Max"
scrawled the following:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
.. .

"Swingman" wrote

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously
declare the grippers are too expensive and they can make something
instead ... may be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to
put my trust in a safety device, and there is no doubt that the
grippers
are more than worthy in that regard.
--
And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands
worth?"

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet.
"How much is your brain worth"

If it's freeway ridin', why wear a helmet? You want to SURVIVE that
kind of a crash?

Helmets help preserve the face for an open casket funeral. They do nothing
to protect the rest of the body.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/10 10:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:28:55 -0700, the infamous "Max"
--
And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands worth?"

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet.
"How much is your brain worth"

If it's freeway ridin', why wear a helmet? You want to SURVIVE that
kind of a crash?

Paramedics have a name for motorcyclists who don't wear helmets: organ
donors.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

There seems to be an inherent assumption that a get-off on the freeway will
be the result of a head on impace with a truck or something. That's very
unlikely. Far more likely is that you'll hit an oil patch or an ice patch
and drop the bike and go sliding down the road a pace. And when that
happens the right gear makes the difference between "pick the bike up and go
on with your ride" and "lie there wishing your were going to die".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:09:13 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"
scrawled the following:

Leon wrote:
[...]

I walked away from my drop with a headache and some skin off my right
forearm. The lady who pulled out in front of me in her Cadiddlyack
got a crushed back door. My helmet hit it so hard it broke the window,
and the window was up. This at less thatn 35mph on a rainy day. She
saw me as she was in my lane and froze, stopping right in my path. i
hit both brakes, felt the rear slide left, and jumped on top as it
went down. My right forearm (in a jacket, thankfully) helped bounce
me onto the bike. I'm a definite believer in helmets, but I wouldn't
want one to keep me alive as a vegetable with 123 broken bones and
burst organs, TYVM.

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.
-- Marcel Proust

Reusing gripper rods [email protected] UK diy 7 August 22nd 07 11:27 PM
where to get Easy Gripper? John UK diy 3 October 24th 06 07:33 PM
Carpet gripper JoeJoe UK diy 4 July 31st 05 10:07 AM
Grr-gripper question Sam Woodworking 54 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM
Carpet, underlay and gripper fun! Ric UK diy 19 October 8th 04 09:14 AM