Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Thanks Swingman, Gripper System

On 2/6/2010 10:03 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/5/2010 9:45 PM, Mike M wrote:

Sometime back before I got hurt you had written something up about the
gripper system push block. I happened to pick one up because of
that. Today I had to cut quite a few oddball small pieces for a
project. What a great tool, always felt as though I had total
control of the small pieces.

You're more than welcome ... they basically become extensions of my hands
on most tasks on the table saw, router table, and jointer.

Steve's right ... you will eventually want two.

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously declare
the grippers are too expensive and they can make something instead ... may
be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to put my trust in a
safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers are more than
worthy in that regard.

#1 reason to own 2 is for production ripping narrow pieces where the gripper
eventually becomes to narrow to be stabley balanced on top of a narrow
piece, less than 1.5" or so. The second gripper with its "jack" leg
attached will keep it from rocking even on the narrowest of pieces is worth
its weight in gold.

You're right about that. As we've discussed before, about the only thing
I don't like is that it is difficult to use them on narrow stock in
conjunction with many featherboards, particularly the magnetic ones.

Not the grippers fault, but it would be nice ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08