Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thanks, Dad

Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to
woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction
accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine
but I didn't sleep last night.

I just came back from the site to see what happened. If anyone out
there that is in residential construction trade can attest, fall
arresters are not highly regarded as the most comfortable things to
wear but can save lives. I became more concerned last year after he
was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He didn't like them. In fact after 44
years in construction, he felt that it was a hindrance. I asked him
why, but all he could say is "I know my way around a roof".

Well until yesterday. He slipped on the scaffolding and fell 30
feet. I visited with the ambulance workers since I know one of them
that was there. In all estimation, he was dead when he hit the ground.

Why am I writing this. Because he was like many others out there.
He thought that he was safe with just his skills. And I urge anyone
that thinks that this couldn't happen to them, think again. He had 44
years experience and in one second it is all gone. He was going to
retire this year as the demand for housing has dropped and there was
no one interested in taking over his company.

Sadly I will never get to show him my first completely designed and
built pieces of furniture. I just finished them 2 weeks ago. I always
felt that he didn't think I was ever capable of it but I just was
never interested in home building. He gave up on trying to teach me.
These pieces were to show him that I was paying attention. I did learn
a skill....

Thanks, Dad

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 8:04*am, allen476 wrote:
[...]

I am very sorry for your loss. My mother passed away last year. I
found out while I was out in the field on my job. I understand what
you're going through. Hopefully your father didn't suffer and passed
quickly. Thanks for sharing the safety information so that perhaps
others can benefit from this tragedy. Hold on to your fond memories as
they will help to see you through some trying times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"allen476" wrote in message
[...]

My condolences....

baslisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 11:04*am, allen476 wrote:
[...]

Many people say: "I know how you must feel."
Well, I don't
Both my parents are still alive at 88 years old.
I have a feeling I will know what you're feeling all too soon.
Keep the good memories, the bad ones are a waste of time.

My condolences.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , allen476 wrote:
Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to
woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction
accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine
but I didn't sleep last night.

[...]
Thanks, Dad

Allen

Sorry for your loss.

Your signature came as kind of a surprise to me: one of my sons is named
Allen, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2010 10:04 AM, allen476 wrote:
[...]

Our thoughts and prayers go out to your and your family.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

allen476 wrote in news:ca9c5360-cd15-4451-94d7-
:

[...]

My most heartfelt condolences. Apparently it was mercifully fast. Take
consolation in your best memories, and cherish them. Sharing those
memories is good, as you found out.

Translated from the Dutch:
Shared joy is twice the joy
Shared sorrow is half the sorrow.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful
enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 3:56*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Thanks for sharing Allen. *I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful
enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

My condolences to you *both.*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2010 4:56 PM, Leon wrote:
Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful
enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Our condolences to you and your family, Leon.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:
Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful
enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Ouch. So sorry to hear that, Leon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"allen476" wrote in message

Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to
woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction
accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine
but I didn't sleep last night.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know very much how you feel, I didn't get into
woodworking until after my father's death and thus could never demonstrate
to him that I'd retained at least a bit of what he tried to teach me. He
was one of those guys who could build or fix anything regardless of what it
was made of, I wish I had his expertise with electronics in addition to
woodworking, plumbing, metalwork and so on--no contractor ever made a dime
off my dad's house.

Remember that everything you loved about your dad lives on in your heart,
and whenever you have a moral decision to make all you have to do is ask
yourself what he would have done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wish to extend my condolences to both of you and your families.

Peace,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Jan 2010 22:29:33 GMT, Han wrote:

[...]

It's really not "nice" to say it - but with alzheimers already
diagnosed, the fast end will likely be easier to take, for everyone
involved, than a long, lingering deterioration, with Dad still being
"there", but not quite really being either "dad" OR "there".

Just too bad it had to happen, just like it's too bad he had to suffer
from Alzheimers..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news
Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be
carful enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Condolences to both of you. It's all part of life, but it's never easy.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"allen476" wrote in message
[...]

Take comfort from who he was and what he did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news
Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be
carful enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Pass on the best of her to others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:04:04 -0800 (PST), the infamous allen476
scrawled the following:

Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to
woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction
accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine
but I didn't sleep last night.

I'm sorry for your loss, Allen.

[...]

It's good that you got to live and train with him. Keep those good
memories. My dad was a hack woodworker, but we had fun. He passed 8
years ago.

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
news
Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be
carful enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Also my condolences, Leon. Please be assured of the compassion we all
feel.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thank you all for your comments

While I was only trying to comfort Allen, "in this particular instance", I
truly feel his pain. My intention was not to hijack his thread or draw
attention to me but more to let him know that he had some one right beside
him in his time of grief.

To those that have directly responded and made comments here in this thread,
Thank you. Some of us have not seen eye to eye in the past but in this time
of grief you have not let our differences stand in the way. Thank you again
for your heart felt comments.

In my mothers case she had lived a long and full life. On December 10th she
and my dad received the news that she most likely had cancer in her lungs
and liver. That also happened to be their 60th wedding anniversary. In the
days and weeks that followed I made countless trips taking them to the Dr's.
office and the clinics and the hospitals for further diagnosis, treatment,
and testing. As many of you probably know she had stage 4 lung cancer and
the prognosis was terminal. I am thankful that she really never suffered
with that terrible disease.

The last of the "Charlotte, Burn's Girls" is resting now. 8/1/1922 -
1/27/2010

Thank you all.

Leon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 5:56*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Thanks for sharing Allen. *I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful
enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Man... I missed that during my last cursory glance at the posts here.
My condolences, to you and yours.
The end also ends the suffering. She's in a better place.

Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking

allen476 wrote:

Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to
woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction
accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine
but I didn't sleep last night.

Thanks, Dad

Allen

Condolences Allen

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be
carful enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

So sorry to hear that Leon. Condolences to you and your family

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:56:58 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful
enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

My condolences to you Leon and also for Allen, tis a sad thing indeed.

Rgds
Phil.