Posted to rec.woodworking
dale martin dale martin is offline

Default Thanks, Dad

On Jan 27, 8:04*am, allen476 wrote:
* Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to
woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a *construction
accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine
but I didn't sleep last night.

* I just came back from the site to see what happened. If anyone out
there that is in residential construction trade can attest, fall
arresters are not highly regarded as the most comfortable things to
wear but can save lives. I became more concerned last year after he
was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He didn't like them. In fact after 44
years in construction, he felt that it was a hindrance. I asked him
why, but all he could say is "I know my way around a roof".

* Well until yesterday. He slipped on the scaffolding and fell 30
feet. I visited with the ambulance workers since I know one of them
that was there. In all estimation, he was dead when he hit the ground.

* *Why am I writing this. Because he was like many others out there.
He thought that he was safe with just his skills. And I urge anyone
that thinks that this couldn't happen to them, think again. He had 44
years experience and in one second it is all gone. He was going to
retire this year as the demand for housing has dropped and there was
no one interested in taking over his company.

* Sadly I will never get to show him my first completely designed and
built pieces of furniture. I just finished them 2 weeks ago. I always
felt that he didn't think I was ever capable of it but I just was
never interested in home building. He gave up on trying to teach me.
These pieces were to show him that I was paying attention. I did learn
a skill....

Thanks, Dad

Allen

I am very sorry for your loss. My mother passed away last year. I
found out while I was out in the field on my job. I understand what
you're going through. Hopefully your father didn't suffer and passed
quickly. Thanks for sharing the safety information so that perhaps
others can benefit from this tragedy. Hold on to your fond memories as
they will help to see you through some trying times.