Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Larger corner chisel?

I've been using Lee Valley's magnetic corner chisel to clean up hinge
mortises, but I'm wondering if there is a larger version available -
something with a guide like the LV one, only larger, to handle the
radii left by larger diameter router bits. Anyone know of one?
Thanks.

MW
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message
I've been using Lee Valley's magnetic corner chisel to clean up hinge
mortises, but I'm wondering if there is a larger version available -
something with a guide like the LV one, only larger, to handle the
radii left by larger diameter router bits. Anyone know of one?
Thanks.

MW

There are right angle/90 degree chisels that you whack with a mallot or
hammer. Old school. ;~)

A bit more spendy. ;~(

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,30011&p=30011

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 5:54*am, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I've been using Lee Valley's magnetic corner chisel to clean up hinge
mortises, but I'm wondering if there is a larger version available -
something with a guide like the LV one, only larger, to handle the
radii left by larger diameter router bits. *Anyone know of one?
Thanks.

MW

Porter Cable makes a tool designed for that job. It's called a "Hinge
Butt Corner Chisel" their catalog # 42234.
Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 7:50*am, "Leon" wrote:
There are right angle/90 degree chisels that you whack with a mallot or
hammer. *Old school. *;~)

A bit more spendy. *;~(

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,41541,30011&p....

Ever see any tips n tricks on sharpening those things? I have one and
I use the side of my shapton for it and it works pretty good, but I
worry I'll alter the 90 degree angle sooner or later.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Use the square chisel from a square chisel mortiser if the slot is big
enough. I think Lee Valley or Nielsen is making them for that purpose
now with a bang surface on top after getting the idea from Darrell
Peart.

On Jan 22, 2:54*am, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I've been using Lee Valley's magnetic corner chisel to clean up hinge
mortises, but I'm wondering if there is a larger version available -
something with a guide like the LV one, only larger, to handle the
radii left by larger diameter router bits. *Anyone know of one?
Thanks.

MW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:47:26 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Use the square chisel from a square chisel mortiser if the slot is big
enough. I think Lee Valley or Nielsen is making them for that purpose
now with a bang surface on top after getting the idea from Darrell
Peart.

I'd rather not go deep like that. Mortiser chisels have that rounded
edge which is longer at the corners. It allows too much wood to chip
out if the grain is so inclined. BTDT and learned to use a sharper
chisel and a lighter (ShopFox urethane) mallet (Yes, Leon, your spel
chucker missed that one, too) whack for hinge, striker, and door lock
cylinder mortises.

--
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
The amount of work is the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Valid point. I am usually doing deep or through mortises.

On Jan 24, 6:19*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Corner chisel sharpening Gordon Shumway Woodworking 3 February 2nd 08 02:05 PM
Corner Chisel for routed hinge mortises Jay Pique Woodworking 7 February 16th 07 02:16 AM
larger mtr for jet bandsaw? Don Woodturning 2 December 15th 05 04:59 PM
larger red ants stevie Home Repair 2 September 24th 05 10:01 PM
New (larger) shed jack Home Repair 5 January 4th 05 05:58 PM