Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Larger corner chisel?

Valid point. I am usually doing deep or through mortises.

On Jan 24, 6:19*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:47:26 -0800 (PST), the infamous
"SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Use the square chisel from a square chisel mortiser if the slot is big
enough. I think Lee Valley or Nielsen is making them for that purpose
now with a bang surface on top after getting the idea from Darrell
Peart.

I'd rather not go deep like that. Mortiser chisels have that rounded
edge which is longer at the corners. *It allows too much wood to chip
out if the grain is so inclined. *BTDT and learned to use a sharper
chisel and a lighter (ShopFox urethane) mallet (Yes, Leon, your spel
chucker missed that one, too) whack for hinge, striker, and door lock
cylinder mortises.

--
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
The amount of work is the same.