jack

Default New (larger) shed

Here in Pensacola, FL, Hurricane Ivan took out

my 8X10 shed. It would have made it, if it weren't

for the three pine trees that decided to fall directly on

top of it.

Anyway, I've since completely demolished it, down

to the 8X10 concrete slab. I thought this might be a good

time, instead of putting up with the small shed, to enlarge it to 12X12.
Now for my question for the knowledgeable ones:

- If I want a larger concrete slab, do I have to demolish the existing
smaller slab or can I simply frame out the larger size while using the
existing slab as part of the new

foundation? I was concerned about one part of the two

slab foundation settling, thus wreaking havoc on the fame.

If it's feasible I'd like to add on to the existing slab. I demolished a
concrete patio a while back, it was'nt fun..

- Would it be better use 6X6 posts as a foundation for

the new (plywood) flooring? Essentially the old slab would remain under the
wooden floor, but play no part in the structural integrity of the shed? My
only concern about this is the height of the floor.

Does anyone have a better idea or comments about

my two ideas above?

Thanks/Lew

Brad Bruce

jack wrote:
[...]

Check zoning. Many places have MUCH stricter requirements for anything
over 100 square feet.

If you're going to add to the foundation, I'd build a foundation around
the existing slab to support the building, then fill in the gap between
the foundation and the slab with concrete. At that point your pouring a
floor instead of a foundation.

Brad
Matt P

"jack" wrote in message
newsEcCd.56749$up.2676@lakeread08...
[...]

I would recommend using the existing slab and adding on in the direction of
choice. If it was properly installed originally it should be stable. You can
pin the slabs together with slab ties. essentially drilling into existing
slab about 6-8 inches every foot or two and using an epoxy to glue re-bar
into the holes. When you pour the new slab it will tie the slabs together
and they should not move especially since you don't have to worry about
frost. Do check with the local code as far as requirements. Larger buildings
may require muuuuuch more hurricane proofing. My local full permit cutoff
was 100sf and above, but they changed it to 200sf and above. Now I have what
looks like a one car garage next to my pool and my inspector says its just a
garden shed. :-)

Wood floors are not necessary if you already have a slab and concrete gives
you a good mounting surface to anchor that thing.

Good luck,

Matt

George E. Cawthon

Brad Bruce wrote:
jack wrote:

[...]

I'd go along with that, and it would be ideal to have the
8x10 in the middle. If not in the middle then just inside
the new wall in one corner. But 12x12 isn't that much
bigger, so I wouldn't worry even if the op used the 8x10 as
a corner of the new floor
MrAoD

jack writes:

Here in Pensacola, FL, Hurricane Ivan took out

my 8X10 shed. It would have made it, if it weren't

for the three pine trees that decided to fall directly on

top of it.

Hey, those pines were the only thing keeping it from flying away! gd&r

Anyway, I've since completely demolished it, down

to the 8X10 concrete slab. I thought this might be a good

time, instead of putting up with the small shed, to enlarge it to 12X12.
Now for my question for the knowledgeable ones:

Disclaimer. Dunno nothing about Pensacola soil conditions so my advice is
worth about 25 cents on the dollar but . . .

- If I want a larger concrete slab, do I have to demolish the existing
smaller slab or can I simply frame out the larger size while using the
existing slab as part of the new

foundation? I was concerned about one part of the two

slab foundation settling, thus wreaking havoc on the fame.

Were I you, and the original slab hadn't settled noticeably, I'd prepare a
concrete for for the size of the new footprint, undercut the original slab
about 3-4 inches in and 4-6 inches under on the side(s) where you intend to
add on. You can run the rebar or wire into the undercuts and pour. I'm
guessing you've got pretty good drainage and zero worry of frost heaves. If
one or the other assumption is wrong you might care to hedge your bets by
digging and pouring pit footings at appropriate intervals.

I'm also guessing that at 12x12 you'll not be putting anything denser than a 12
hp lawn tractor in the new shed.

Best,

Marc

to the 8X10 concrete slab. I thought this might be a good

time, instead of putting up with the small shed, to enlarge it to 12X12.
Now for my question for the knowledgeable ones:
Does anyone have a better idea or comments about

my two ideas above?

Depends on what you're doing with/in the shed.
If you're storing a lot of small stuff, you could build something
like the old shed with studs on 24" spacing, and the attach
2' bump-outs like window-bays on three sides. This allows
you to use the same pad, but gives you a shed that looks
something like a camping trailer...

Speaking of which, you could always just drop an enclosed
trailer on the pad.

Storage Shed Anchoring? Jeff Morris Home Repair 10 July 6th 04 01:26 PM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
existing base for garden shed....break it? john west++++ UK diy 2 October 9th 03 01:47 PM
break up base for garden shed? john west++++ UK diy 1 October 8th 03 11:31 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM