Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector & Sander OK Together?

I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?

He may be on to something there, however I use my dust collector with my 12"
disk sander and it works very well. However, the disk sander uses a 2"~2.5"
x 3' hose which I attach to my 4" DC hose via a step up adapter.

I also run the 4" DC hose directly to my router fence and use the same step
up adapter.

You certainly want a large hose to get close to the tool but a 4" hose real
close to the tool would be a PIA.

IMHO a 1 hp sized DC may only be marginally better than you shop vac. I
would recomend larger, at least 1100 CFM.

Additionally Fein And Festool make shop vaccums that work very well with the
hand operated tools and are quiet. Oddly my Festool vac will go farther
between bag changes than my old shop vac which had 3 times the storage
volume. I suspect that the design and suction is so much better that the
Festool will pack the depris in the bag more effeciently. When the Festool
vac finally begins to loose suction the 4~5 gal bag is "heavy".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Actually with a Festool shop vac there can be too much suction from a shop
vac, it tends to cause the sander to stick to flat surfaces and too much
suction makes sanding more difficult, so you turn down the vac motor
speed. That probably creates the same effect as your suggestion above.

Festool has a variable speed control on its vacuum??

Does it have a built in beer cooler too? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:56:45 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote

Actually with a Festool shop vac there can be too much suction from a shop
vac, it tends to cause the sander to stick to flat surfaces and too much
suction makes sanding more difficult, so you turn down the vac motor
speed. That probably creates the same effect as your suggestion above.

Festool has a variable speed control on its vacuum??

Does it have a built in beer cooler too? ;-)

A German beer cooler (about 59f).

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

Actually with a Festool shop vac there can be too much suction from a
shop vac, it tends to cause the sander to stick to flat surfaces and too
much suction makes sanding more difficult, so you turn down the vac
motor speed. That probably creates the same effect as your suggestion
above.

Festool has a variable speed control on its vacuum??

Does it have a built in beer cooler too? ;-)

no, but mine has an optional gatage. '~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2010 8:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Leon" wrote

Actually with a Festool shop vac there can be too much suction from a shop
vac, it tends to cause the sander to stick to flat surfaces and too much
suction makes sanding more difficult, so you turn down the vac motor
speed. That probably creates the same effect as your suggestion above.

Festool has a variable speed control on its vacuum??

Mine (CT22E) has a "suction force" dial that is adjustable from 1200W to
350W . You usually run it around 160 cubic meters of air per hour from a
high of 228.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...stoolCT22E.htm

Does it have a built in beer cooler too? ;-)

I'm sure there is a "systainer" that can be used to hold a suitable
cooler that will fit right on top of the dust extractor.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

"Bob" wrote in message
I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?

He may be on to something there, however I use my dust collector with my 12"
disk sander and it works very well. However, the disk sander uses a 2"~2.5"
x 3' hose which I attach to my 4" DC hose via a step up adapter.

He's definitely on to something there. Rather than using the collection
shroud and hose on the ROS with the DC, I'd plumb the DC to a downdraft table and do
the ROS work there.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Jan 20, 9:28*am, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm; cooler sounds hard since it would have to be on the suction
side of the power unit, but you could possibly put a coffee warmer on
the output side ... the air is compressed there and should be capable
of shedding heat. This does, however, sound like a great way to add
some find grit to the morning cuppa Joe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?

I use the PC with a Grizzly DC using a 1" hose with no problems at all.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:09:29 -0800 (PST), the infamous Bob
scrawled the following:

I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?

Simple fix for that is to add another door and leave the thing cracked
open a bit, reducing the suction without cavitation. It'll still clean
out that sander like a champ but it'll keep the DC from straining.

If you have ducting run to several machines, just crack one of those
open. No biggie.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"hex" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, get your fiber wherever you can...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:09:29 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?

These two will work good together. A shop vac does not move enough
air to be as effective as a DC, just the opposite as you stated.

JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
HF Dust collector Jimmy Woodworking 11 December 9th 05 12:34 PM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM
$100 Dust Collector and $100 Oscillating Spindle Sander, should I buy or save my money slindars Woodworking 2 November 10th 04 01:30 AM