Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Dust Collector & Sander OK Together?

"Bob" wrote in message
I was going to get a 1HP dust collector to use with the machines in my
garage/workshop. I was thinking I would replace my shop vac with the
DC so I won't take up too much space.

The person at the store said it is a bad idea to use my PC 5" random
orbit sander and a DC. Something about not enough air would get to the
DC and the air would cavitate making the suction poor. I really don't
want to take up space with a DC & a shop vac. I was going to add 3
feet of 2" hose to the 4 foot long 4" hose the DC came with.

Anyone have experience with using a 1HP DC and a 5" sander?

He may be on to something there, however I use my dust collector with my 12"
disk sander and it works very well. However, the disk sander uses a 2"~2.5"
x 3' hose which I attach to my 4" DC hose via a step up adapter.

I also run the 4" DC hose directly to my router fence and use the same step
up adapter.

You certainly want a large hose to get close to the tool but a 4" hose real
close to the tool would be a PIA.

IMHO a 1 hp sized DC may only be marginally better than you shop vac. I
would recomend larger, at least 1100 CFM.

Additionally Fein And Festool make shop vaccums that work very well with the
hand operated tools and are quiet. Oddly my Festool vac will go farther
between bag changes than my old shop vac which had 3 times the storage
volume. I suspect that the design and suction is so much better that the
Festool will pack the depris in the bag more effeciently. When the Festool
vac finally begins to loose suction the 4~5 gal bag is "heavy".