Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Carpentry work just two weeks ago

The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2010 1:53 PM, basilisk wrote:
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

Sorry to hear that...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:53:23 -0600, basilisk
wrote:

The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

My condolences. It's especially hard to lose a relative you really
respect.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 2:53*pm, basilisk wrote:
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

My heartfelt condolences. Sounds like he lived a full life.
Posted to rec.woodworking

What a way to go, though. Doing something useful and productive until
your last days.

Looking at my parents, I'd take it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

My condolences.

I met my Dad's dad only once that I remember; I was 5-6 yrs old. But
I have some of his tools: a Bailey No. 5 and 12-1/2, some panel saws,
some hammers, a few odds and ends.

And A Colt .44 DA.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 10:53*am, basilisk wrote:
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Ain't no school like the old school.

My grandpa was 96 when he passed, a no-kiddin cowboy and blacksmith.
Bought some land, felled the trees, built a 2 story house from said
trees. 60 years later the house needed some work on the
foundation... after all that time it was within 1/8 on an inch of
being dead on square.

Let's hope that those lessons live on in all of us so our kids stand a
chance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Sorry for your loss... Both of my grand fathers were gone before I was
born. My mother's father built all of his houses, houses for his sisters
and a small house for my mother.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My condolences, as well.

Folks as your grandfather are not just relatives and mentors, but
cultural assets, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Sorry for your loss, but that is the way to go rather than spending years in
a nursing home. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

basilisk wrote in news:VI34n.76003$FK3.34664@en-
nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com:

My condolences as well. What a great guy!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2010 8:23 PM, basilisk wrote:

I truly appreciate everyones well wishes.

He was taken out by a series of strokes and bad heart rythm in just a
few days, he recovered enough early this morning to insist that no
rescuitation be done should he get worse, he was ready and the family
abided by his wishes. Yea, I'll miss him but that makes it easier.

Re-posted in honor of both of our grandfathers:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...cd3fe 1a0f824

or:

http://tinyurl.com/ygtmm8k

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 1:53*pm, basilisk wrote:
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Our condolences. However, it sounds like your grandfather lived life
to the end. He, and your family are fortunate for that.

All four of our parents spent months, even years in nursing care and
that can be tough on everyone.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilis

My condolences, at least he had a good innings.

Rgds,
Phil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

the NEW, win7 stuff does not have drivers available for earlier
operating systems - so you DO need to be wary of driver availability.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:53:23 -0600, the infamous basilisk
scrawled the following:

The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

Condolences, basilisk. I hope you got to visit with him in his latter
days. I got to say goodbye to my dad the day before he died. That
really helps when you lose someone.

90 and building a house. Wonderful! May we all be as lucky.

Celebrate his life!

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:34:42 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 1/15/2010 8:23 PM, basilisk wrote:

I truly appreciate everyones well wishes.

He was taken out by a series of strokes and bad heart rythm in just a
few days, he recovered enough early this morning to insist that no
rescuitation be done should he get worse, he was ready and the family
abided by his wishes. Yea, I'll miss him but that makes it easier.

Re-posted in honor of both of our grandfathers:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...cd3fe 1a0f824

or:

http://tinyurl.com/ygtmm8k

Excellent, both then and now. That was back when I first followed the
Wreck, before the break. Did you ever make plans from those pieces. (I
asked back then, too.)

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
90 and building a house. Wonderful! May we all be as lucky.

Celebrate his life!

I suspect that his perscription was to work himself to death, rather than
sit back and watch life pass you by and waste away.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"basilisk" wrote in message
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Sorry for your loss, but that is the way to go rather than spending years
in a nursing home. WW

That's not the way I want to go, I saw my father-in-law take 8 months to
die, little by little bit, in a nursing home. We tried to care for him in
our home over a weekend. Just about killed our backs lifting him up from bed
so he could go to the bathroom. We just couldn't do it for more than the
weekend. Now I am in my 70th year, and hope that I go fast. Fast is hard on
the survivors but at least it is over and done without guilt and remorse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EXT" wrote:

That's not the way I want to go, I saw my father-in-law take 8
months to die, little by little bit, in a nursing home. We tried to
care for him in our home over a weekend. Just about killed our backs
lifting him up from bed so he could go to the bathroom. We just
couldn't do it for more than the weekend.

Nursing facilities use what I laughingly call an electrically operated
"jib crane", to lift people either from or back into bed.

Not something you are likely to have at home.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:40:12 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
Nursing facilities use what I laughingly call an electrically operated
"jib crane", to lift people either from or back into bed.

Not something you are likely to have at home.

Up here in Canuck land, many facilities use a device called a Hoyer
lift. Various models are available with a sling lift. It actually
works quite well, as long as it's charged up. Not really all that
expensive either relatively speaking.

The used it for me this past pre Christmas season until I got enough
strength back in my legs. They're also available for rent and well
within the purview of the home user.

http://www.phc-online.com/Portable_H...oy_advance.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

EXT wrote:

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"basilisk" wrote in message
The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Sorry for your loss, but that is the way to go rather than spending
years in a nursing home. WW

That's not the way I want to go, I saw my father-in-law take 8 months to
die, little by little bit, in a nursing home. We tried to care for him
in our home over a weekend. Just about killed our backs lifting him up
from bed so he could go to the bathroom. We just couldn't do it for more
than the weekend. Now I am in my 70th year, and hope that I go fast.
Fast is hard on the survivors but at least it is over and done without
guilt and remorse.

It took SWMBO over a year to recover from a ruptured disc from
"helping" her mom out of her wheel chair. And there were trained staff
at the nursing home to help. Sometimes instinct is harmful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:40:12 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"EXT" wrote:

That's not the way I want to go, I saw my father-in-law take 8
months to die, little by little bit, in a nursing home. We tried to
care for him in our home over a weekend. Just about killed our backs
lifting him up from bed so he could go to the bathroom. We just
couldn't do it for more than the weekend.

Nursing facilities use what I laughingly call an electrically operated
"jib crane", to lift people either from or back into bed.

Not something you are likely to have at home.

My HF 1T crane is _just_like_ those, but not nearly as fancy as a Liko
or Hoyer. It's far cheaper, tho. titter

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

The world is short one of the good ones today,
My last grandad died this morning.

He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on
my uncles house.

basilisk

Condolences; prayers for your family in their loss. Sounds like he had a
good life and was able to do what he wanted to be doing throughout --
that's a blessing.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 12:37 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Robert, isn't there a way you could take him home (to your shop) for a
day, or part of one? Figure out a small project he could do from a
wheelchair and make it happen! He'd love it.

He doesn't have the dexterity to do much of anything anymore. For
example, he told me that the women folk in our family had taken his
pocket knives from him, and now wouldn't let him have one for fear he
would cut himself. He raised me as he was raised, and that is with a
pocket knife in my possession at 6. (Yes, I cut and stabbed myself a
couple or three times, but he figured everyone he knew learned how to
use a knife from that experience... I did!). So he took me aside when
I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and told me he wanted a nice
pocket knife.
So I got him one. It was an easy pulling Stockman with no blade
locks, and he couldn't get the knife blade open. Try as he could, he
was humiliated that he couldn't get his fingernail into the nail nick,
hold the knife, and get it open. Once he got his nail in the nick and
got it partially open, he tore his nail off.

I know that hurt like hell, but nowhere near as much as the pain of
that embarrassment.

Additionally, his incontinence requires additional nursing staff for
cleaning after the the fact. He never knows when he will have a full
load, or when his Foley bag will need emptying. Although I have
cleaned him up more than once, he is uncomfortable being far away from
his nurses and their care.

Perhaps ask your sister to do the same (shopping trip?) for your mom
that same day, so they each had new stories to share when they got
"home" that evening.

Just a thought.

My Mom is still a delight, but if you have my Mom, you have to have my
Dad. My sister can take her out for dinner or shopping, but if I do
he won't talk to me for a month. Mom and me had some nice evenings
when he was in the hospital as I could pick her up and take her out to
eat (the more out of the way place the better), or bring over dinner
and a DVD, and we could talk about old movies and stuff she and I both
like. She is a very small rural town, and for her the simple
pleasures are the best.

Unlike basilisk's people who are to be admired, mine have been rusting
out for years. At this point, although I am in the middle of managing
things they should have taken care of themselves years ago and have
come to the conclusion they will just continue to rust out until they
are finished.

Those were good thoughts, though.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Those were good thoughts, though.

Not the best thing to be thinking about, but do they both have advanced
directives with do not resuscitate orders? If they don't, it might be nice
for someone on the staff of the care home to discuss it with them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jim jim is offline

On Jan 18, 6:44*am, "LDosser" wrote:
wrote in message

Those were good thoughts, though.

Not the best thing to be thinking about, but do they both have advanced
directives with do not resuscitate orders? If they don't, it might be nice
for someone on the staff of the care home to discuss it with them.

My uncle, a dentist by trade was still enjoying woodworking / home
repair up till he passed away at 101. He could put an arse back in a
cat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:57:33 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

wrote:

[...]

OUCH!

I know that hurt like hell, but nowhere near as much as the pain of
that embarrassment.

Additionally, his incontinence requires additional nursing staff for
cleaning after the the fact. He never knows when he will have a full
load, or when his Foley bag will need emptying. Although I have
cleaned him up more than once, he is uncomfortable being far away from
his nurses and their care.

Suckage.

Perhaps ask your sister to do the same (shopping trip?) for your mom
that same day, so they each had new stories to share when they got
"home" that evening.

Just a thought.

My Mom is still a delight, but if you have my Mom, you have to have my
Dad. My sister can take her out for dinner or shopping, but if I do
he won't talk to me for a month. Mom and me had some nice evenings
when he was in the hospital as I could pick her up and take her out to
eat (the more out of the way place the better), or bring over dinner
and a DVD, and we could talk about old movies and stuff she and I both
like. She is a very small rural town, and for her the simple
pleasures are the best.

Very cool.

Unlike basilisk's people who are to be admired, mine have been rusting
out for years. At this point, although I am in the middle of managing
things they should have taken care of themselves years ago and have
come to the conclusion they will just continue to rust out until they
are finished.

I hope for an instant burnout someday vs. rotting in hell for years.
My body and I have an agreement. I won't let them resuscitate me and
it won't fight for a lost cause. I want to stay healthy, and if I
can't have that, trade my body in for a new one, perhaps one with
fewer karma points.

Those were good thoughts, though.

I try! Well, just go love 'em!

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 01:44:07 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

wrote in message

Those were good thoughts, though.

Not the best thing to be thinking about, but do they both have advanced
directives with do not resuscitate orders? If they don't, it might be nice
for someone on the staff of the care home to discuss it with them.

I need to renew mine, and maybe get that DNR tatoo on my forearm.