Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Slightly off-topic: Learning carpentry and basic wood-work ...

On Dec 24, 10:52*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Kedar Mhaswade" wrote in message

Folks,

Happy Holidays!

I am interested in getting started with basic wood-work -- carpentry
as a hobby. Maybe I'll start with children's toys. I'd like to get an
overview of tools, work-place setup etc. Any quick crash-courses out
there? Any pointers will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kedar Mhaswade.

Post this question also in another newsgroup: rec.woodworking * You'll get
good answers both here and there, but probably more there.

Someone redirected me to this newsgroup.
Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Kedar
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Kedar Mhaswade" wrote in message
On Dec 24, 10:52 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Kedar Mhaswade" wrote in message

Folks,

Happy Holidays!

I am interested in getting started with basic wood-work -- carpentry
as a hobby. Maybe I'll start with children's toys. I'd like to get an
overview of tools, work-place setup etc. Any quick crash-courses out
there? Any pointers will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kedar Mhaswade.

Post this question also in another newsgroup: rec.woodworking You'll get
good answers both here and there, but probably more there.

Someone redirected me to this newsgroup.
Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Kedar

If I were you I would try the library OR Barnes & Noble. (
barnesandnoble.com )
Browse the books until you find what appeals to your interest.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kedar Mhaswade" wrote:

I am interested in getting started with basic wood-work -- carpentry
as a hobby. Maybe I'll start with children's toys. I'd like to get

an
overview of tools, work-place setup etc. Any quick crash-courses out
there? Any pointers will be appreciated.

Get a copy of Fred Bingham's book, "Boat Joinery and CabinetMaking
Simplified"

About $20 in paperback from Amazon.

In addition to the boat stuff, a lot of good basic woodworking stuff.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wow are you lucky you ran into me. I second the library idea. This is
definetely a topic of basic building blocks. Knowing that I found one
series of books that covers everything in a series of several books. I
always like doing things that way so I won't get too confused. This series
was actually in my libaray system too, well the 132 or so libraries in the
Toronto library system. They come in paperback or hardcover, same text I
think, same titles, exact same look of each book, like a set of
encyclopedias on a shelf. Theres 30 or 40 in the set. Interesting Titles -
like "Gluing and Clamping", lots of pictures, etc.

Nick Engler,
The Workshop Companion
Techniques For Better Woodworking

Understanding ....