Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BookCase Update and HDR Photog

"Swingman" wrote

I hate to open another Pandora's box (Festool'ed hell outta the budget
last month), and although I've done some beautiful pieces, doing justice
to the beauty of the wood for presentation purposes has always been
problematic for my limited equipment and skills. Judging from your
example, HDR is indeed something to explore in that regard.

I really can't advise you in this regard as I am as clueless as you are in
this department. And I sypathyze with having to spend big bucks on some
tools. I need to do similar things as well for my business, And forgive me
for pointing out the obvious.

You CAN deduct the cost of a camera since you are definitely using it for
business.

I know, I know, deductions don't pay the bills. Now if I could just figure
out how to do that! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/14/2010 06:42 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

I hate to open another Pandora's box (Festool'ed hell outta the budget
last month), and although I've done some beautiful pieces, doing justice
to the beauty of the wood for presentation purposes has always been
problematic for my limited equipment and skills. Judging from your
example, HDR is indeed something to explore in that regard.

I really can't advise you in this regard as I am as clueless as you are in
this department. And I sypathyze with having to spend big bucks on some
tools. I need to do similar things as well for my business, And forgive me
for pointing out the obvious.

You CAN deduct the cost of a camera since you are definitely using it for
business.

Check the tax rules, but around here it would need to be pro-rated based
on amount of business vs personal use, and it would also need to be
depreciated over multiple years.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

If it is bought for business use, it can be deducted directly under Section
179. That is in the USA. I don't know what is done elsewhere. Presently we
are allowed to deduct up to a little over $100,000 a year. If you do this,
you are not allowed to depreciate it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2010 12:08 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Can you spell "Festool" and Sec179 in the same breath, you betcha sweet ass!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/15/2010 12:08 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote

Check the tax rules, but around here it would need to be pro-rated based
on amount of business vs personal use, and it would also need to be
depreciated over multiple years.

If it is bought for business use, it can be deducted directly under Section
179. That is in the USA. I don't know what is done elsewhere. Presently we
are allowed to deduct up to a little over $100,000 a year. If you do this,
you are not allowed to depreciate it.

Interesting. Up here in Canada capital costs (like buying equipment
over a certain dollar amount) have to be depreciated over a longer
period rather than written off directly.

As a financial stimulus there is currently an exception for computer
equipment though, but that's a temporary thing.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2010 12:38 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

Interesting. Up here in Canada capital costs (like buying equipment
over a certain dollar amount) have to be depreciated over a longer
period rather than written off directly.

As a financial stimulus there is currently an exception for computer
equipment though, but that's a temporary thing.

http://www.section179.org/section_179_deduction.html

Qualifying items:

http://www.section179.org/property_t...ction_179.html

I expect the Democrat controlled congress may water this down, if they
stay in office.

Not a political slur/statemtn ... just a political fact of life due to
the need for more government revenue wherever you can get it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

http://www.section179.org/section_179_deduction.html

Qualifying items:

http://www.section179.org/property_t...ction_179.html

Thank you sir!!

I have the dry, IRS section 179 stuff filed away. And it is written in
guv'mint language. This SO much better. I didn't know this was out there.
Now I do. It will make it easier to communicate to some tax illiterate
folks.

Looking it over, I didn't realize that the deduction was greatly increased
last year and this year. There is no way they are going to keep those
generous deductions inplace.

I expect the Democrat controlled congress may water this down, if they
stay in office.

Not a political slur/statement ... just a political fact of life due to
the need for more government revenue wherever you can get it.

--

Well, any real reading of the IRS Code will convince you that any business
activity is some kinda criminal enterprise. And the Democrats think that

BookCase Update and HDR Photog GarageWoodworks Woodworking 56 January 15th 10 10:21 PM
BOOKCASE. J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 07:10 PM
bookcase help George Snyder Woodworking 2 April 3rd 05 09:21 PM
TRADITIONAL BOOKCASE J T Woodworking 0 January 8th 05 01:25 PM
newbie bookcase Adam Woodworking 0 September 1st 04 11:21 PM