George Snyder

Default bookcase help

Hi,

I'm building a bookcase for my son in law.

The plans show the front and side rails of the base are joined
to the legs with a mortise open at the top and a 1/4 " tenon with no
shoulder.
Can these rails be made from 3/4" plywood or would a tenon
cut into plywood be to weak to support a bookcase?
Or could this joint be made with biscuits using plywood for
the rails or should I jut use standard dimensional lumber.

TIA

George
Peter Ashby

George Snyder wrote:

Hi,

I'm building a bookcase for my son in law.

The plans show the front and side rails of the base are joined
to the legs with a mortise open at the top and a 1/4 " tenon with no
shoulder.
Can these rails be made from 3/4" plywood or would a tenon
cut into plywood be to weak to support a bookcase?
Or could this joint be made with biscuits using plywood for
the rails or should I jut use standard dimensional lumber.

Yes you can cut tenons on ply, you can dovetail it too. I suppose the
thing to bear in mind with ply in this situation is aesthetics, what are
you going to do with the edges? If you are going to hide them then this
can end up taking a lot of time and effort when you can just tenon a
piece of solid timber and go on.

Peter

Patriarch

George Snyder wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm building a bookcase for my son in law.

The plans show the front and side rails of the base are joined
to the legs with a mortise open at the top and a 1/4 " tenon with no
shoulder.
Can these rails be made from 3/4" plywood or would a tenon
cut into plywood be to weak to support a bookcase?
Or could this joint be made with biscuits using plywood for
the rails or should I jut use standard dimensional lumber.

TIA

George

I have succcessfully built these with biscuits & decent plywood. However,
I have been known to find a means to hide a screw or three, and to add glue
blocks where they didn't show.

My furniture tends to be built for power, rather than speed. ;-) Raising
sons tends to encourage that.

Patriarch

Mahogany bookcase - finish help needed swinter Woodworking 24 March 28th 05 09:19 PM
Bookcase design andyraps Woodworking 7 January 21st 05 10:24 PM
"safe" bookcase dimesions? Lily Fern Woodworking 23 January 24th 04 06:13 AM
which paint for going over existing finish on bookcase with kids design JD UK diy 2 October 13th 03 11:12 PM
Soft patch on oak bookcase Argent UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:08 PM