Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glues in the cold performance

Just stumbled on this. Pertains to a few discussions below.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc....aspx?id=33185
(not sure if this is free. I was already logged in.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 13, 9:18*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Just stumbled on this. *Pertains to a few discussions below.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc...aterialsArticl...
(not sure if this is free. *I was already logged in.)

I does require login. How about summarizing it for us?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:15:23 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

wrote:
Just stumbled on this. *Pertains to a few discussions below.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc...aterialsArticl...
(not sure if this is free. *I was already logged in.)

I does require login. How about summarizing it for us?

I received a Marketing Research Discount coupon from Pop Wooddorking
the other day. $15.96 for 2 years. Some of the projects looked
interesting (Stickley repro, Odate dining table, Charlsworth stuff),
and I get a digital copy of Roy Underwood's school thang. then I saw
the "Add $2 for shipping and handling" note and wanted to scream.
Anyway, 2 years of a woodworking mag for under $20 was a good deal so
I took it. I emailed to find out when it would start. "Oh, it'll take
4-6 days to process and then you'll get the next issue, probably APRIL
2010. thud grumble grumble

--
What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of
having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I received a Marketing Research Discount coupon from Pop Wooddorking
the other day. $15.96 for 2 years. Some of the projects looked
interesting (Stickley repro, Odate dining table, Charlsworth stuff),
and I get a digital copy of Roy Underwood's school thang. then I saw
the "Add $2 for shipping and handling" note and wanted to scream.
Anyway, 2 years of a woodworking mag for under $20 was a good deal so
I took it. I emailed to find out when it would start. "Oh, it'll take
4-6 days to process and then you'll get the next issue, probably APRIL
2010. thud grumble grumble

I bit that bait also... and the $2 extra is BS. Do they think we are
stupid???? Apparently so.... Just say $17.95 and quit trying to trick us.
They sent me a DVD last spring and I tossed it, then they wanted me to pay
for it, which I gave them no response to for any of the 3 or 4 follow up
letters. I clearely added to my coupon to not send any thing that I do not
order unless they are giving it away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Uh, by law in the US if they send you something you did not order they _did_
give it away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just stumbled on this. *Pertains to a few discussions below.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc...aterialsArticl...
(not sure if this is free. *I was already logged in.)

I does require login. How about summarizing it for us?

In summary, how cold can you use common woodworking glues?

Titebond I will only set up if the temperature is 50 degrees F or more
Titebond II, 55 degrees
Titebond III, 47 degrees
Titebond liquid hide glue, 50 degrees
Titebond Polyurethan, 50 degrees
Gorilla Glue Polyurethane, 40 degrees
Gorilla Glue PVA, 50 degrees.

I've tried TB II at around 47 degrees. I found it took much longer
than the normal 30 minutes to set up.

Some epoxies will work in the 40-50 degree range, but take much longer
to set up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just stumbled on this. Pertains to a few discussions below.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc...aterialsArticl...
(not sure if this is free. I was already logged in.)

I does require login. How about summarizing it for us?

In summary, how cold can you use common woodworking glues?

Titebond I will only set up if the temperature is 50 degrees F or more
Titebond II, 55 degrees
Titebond III, 47 degrees
Titebond liquid hide glue, 50 degrees
Titebond Polyurethan, 50 degrees
Gorilla Glue Polyurethane, 40 degrees
Gorilla Glue PVA, 50 degrees.

I've tried TB II at around 47 degrees. I found it took much longer
than the normal 30 minutes to set up.

Some epoxies will work in the 40-50 degree range, but take much longer
to set up.

Lee Valley's 2002 GF wood glue is pretty close to TBIII as far as cold
weather performance.

"Cold Cure" epoxy from Industrial Formulators (available at LV) claims
to cure (eventually) at 35F.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

I bit that bait also... and the $2 extra is BS. Do they think we are
stupid???? Apparently so.... Just say $17.95 and quit trying to
trick us. They sent me a DVD last spring and I tossed it, then they
wanted me to pay for it, which I gave them no response to for any of
the 3 or 4 follow up letters. I clearely added to my coupon to not
send any thing that I do not order unless they are giving it away.

Uh, by law in the US if they send you something you did not order they
_did_
give it away.

Exactly and also why is never responded.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:59:49 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

UNLESS, and this is the big one, Unless as part of the subscription
these "offers" were authorized. Then you owe for them or are
responsible to return them. In some cases when you subscribe you
promise to buy a minimum of X of their offers for whatever their
"special" price is over a given period of time.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

Well, the scum that run Woodworkers Journal/Rockler sent me a DVD recently, which, like Leon, I also
tossed away unopened. I've also had several bills sent. I have had nothing to do with WWJ/Rockler
for about 3 years, which is when they tried this same scam for one of their books. Back then I
ended my subscription to WWJ, and have not purchased a single thing from them or their parent
Rockler chain stores since. At the best, they are using shady business tactics, at the worst it is
an out and out scam. No "authorized" offers here.

There are other magazines and woodworking vendors who will ethically supply my woodworking needs.
On the plus side, this attempt to bamboozle me has given me a new hobby. I now try to convince
every woodworker I meet to avoid spending a nickel with the Rockler/WWJ organization. If, over a
period of the next few years, I manage to convince a few hundred people to spend their money
elsewhere, I will feel I succeeded.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:10:43 -0600, the infamous Roy
scrawled the following:

Well, the scum that run Woodworkers Journal/Rockler sent me a DVD recently, which, like Leon, I also
tossed away unopened. I've also had several bills sent. I have had nothing to do with WWJ/Rockler
for about 3 years, which is when they tried this same scam for one of their books. Back then I
ended my subscription to WWJ, and have not purchased a single thing from them or their parent
Rockler chain stores since. At the best, they are using shady business tactics, at the worst it is
an out and out scam. No "authorized" offers here.

Sad. WWJ used to be THE publication to get. That was a long while
ago.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Plastic Glues willshak Home Repair 0 September 17th 09 01:00 PM
glues g Woodworking 13 December 16th 06 09:16 PM
Heat Pumps -- Advanced Cold Weather Performance Paul M. Eldridge Home Repair 0 September 25th 06 06:22 PM
Glues Blues! Brandon Woodworking 7 July 23rd 06 09:51 PM
These two GLUES, the same? AAvK Woodworking 1 February 8th 06 12:17 AM