Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Glues in the cold performance

On 01/14/2010 12:38 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:15:23 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 13, 9:18 pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Just stumbled on this. Pertains to a few discussions below.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc...aterialsArticl...
(not sure if this is free. I was already logged in.)

I does require login. How about summarizing it for us?

In summary, how cold can you use common woodworking glues?

Titebond I will only set up if the temperature is 50 degrees F or more
Titebond II, 55 degrees
Titebond III, 47 degrees
Titebond liquid hide glue, 50 degrees
Titebond Polyurethan, 50 degrees
Gorilla Glue Polyurethane, 40 degrees
Gorilla Glue PVA, 50 degrees.

I've tried TB II at around 47 degrees. I found it took much longer
than the normal 30 minutes to set up.

Some epoxies will work in the 40-50 degree range, but take much longer
to set up.

Lee Valley's 2002 GF wood glue is pretty close to TBIII as far as cold
weather performance.

"Cold Cure" epoxy from Industrial Formulators (available at LV) claims
to cure (eventually) at 35F.

Chris