Posted to rec.woodworking

Default repairing cherry table

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 7:02*pm, "
wrote:
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ

Do you know what the finish is? Couldn't really say until that is
known.....

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ

*IF* you go the iron route, be sure it's *completely* dry, or you'll make
the problem worse. You're problem is moisture, if there's any water left in
the iron.... well, use your imagination ;-)

First, you really need to know what the finish is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Mayonnaise, Helmans, Best Foods(same stuff), etc.

Apply like shoe polish with a soft cloth.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, water under the finish.

With poly or lacquer you can rub it with alcohol to try and get it to
evaporate. The alcohol enters the finish in the same way as the
moisture and as it evaporates it takes the water with it.

The iron is an attempt to do the same thing but dangerous because a
few degrees to hot and you bubble the finish.

The mayonnaise idea is a variation on my favorite, mineral oil. The
oil displaces the moisture. Rub it fast to generate some heat to help
the emulsification, etc.

On Dec 31, 4:02*pm, "
wrote:
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:02:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Not steaming alcohol-flavored toothpaste with an iron.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.woodworking

I vote for the rubbed-in mayonaise treatment.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you've done the Google search, you have already seen the most
common and useful techniques. If all fails, consider contacting a
furniture restorer. For recommendations, call local moving
companies and furniture stores: both deal with damaged goods and
have folks on call to make repairs.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Though it does not cover the more recent finishes, a look at
http://tinyurl.com/d2snmh might prove worthwhile.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice, I think this is one of these Darwin awards setups. I can just
see the guy buring down his house but it sure cured that pesky water
ring.

All the same concept, oil replacement and evaporation aided by heat.

Rubbing a walnut! Funny but just oil and heat.

On Jan 1, 12:22*am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:
wrote in message

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Though it does not cover the more recent finishes, a look athttp://tinyurl.com/d2snmhmight prove worthwhile.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.ukwww.amgron.clara.net

cherry table and uv polyeurathane [email protected] Woodworking 2 May 10th 06 01:32 PM
My new CHERRY dining table is finished! stoutman Woodworking 31 May 6th 06 02:19 AM
Cherry Table stoutman Woodworking 22 April 15th 06 05:10 AM
Cherry coffee/cocktail table. Robatoy Woodworking 2 January 28th 06 07:09 PM
Building a table using Cherry Keith Woodworking 5 December 4th 05 03:12 PM