DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   repairing cherry table (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/295196-repairing-cherry-table.html)

[email protected] January 1st 10 12:02 AM

repairing cherry table

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ

allen476 January 1st 10 12:32 AM

repairing cherry table

On Dec 31, 7:02*pm, "
wrote:
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ

Do you know what the finish is? Couldn't really say until that is
known.....

Allen

Joe January 1st 10 03:04 AM

repairing cherry table

wrote in message
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

MJ

*IF* you go the iron route, be sure it's *completely* dry, or you'll make
the problem worse. You're problem is moisture, if there's any water left in
the iron.... well, use your imagination ;-)

First, you really need to know what the finish is.

Lew Hodgett[_5_] January 1st 10 03:45 AM

repairing cherry table

wrote:

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Mayonnaise, Helmans, Best Foods(same stuff), etc.

Apply like shoe polish with a soft cloth.

Lew

SonomaProducts.com January 1st 10 04:00 AM

repairing cherry table

Yep, water under the finish.

With poly or lacquer you can rub it with alcohol to try and get it to
evaporate. The alcohol enters the finish in the same way as the
moisture and as it evaporates it takes the water with it.

The iron is an attempt to do the same thing but dangerous because a
few degrees to hot and you bubble the finish.

The mayonnaise idea is a variation on my favorite, mineral oil. The
oil displaces the moisture. Rub it fast to generate some heat to help
the emulsification, etc.

Larry Jaques January 1st 10 04:55 AM

repairing cherry table

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:02:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Not steaming alcohol-flavored toothpaste with an iron.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sonny January 1st 10 05:08 AM

repairing cherry table

I vote for the rubbed-in mayonaise treatment.

Sonny

Nonny January 1st 10 07:12 AM

repairing cherry table

If you've done the Google search, you have already seen the most
common and useful techniques. If all fails, consider contacting a
furniture restorer. For recommendations, call local moving
companies and furniture stores: both deal with damaged goods and
have folks on call to make repairs.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Jeff Gorman January 1st 10 08:22 AM

repairing cherry table

wrote in message
Some idiot (not me!) put something hot on our
cherry table. It left a milky white blush stain (not
very large).

What's the best way to repair it? I've done a Google
and found that people use a) toothpaste b) a steam iron c) denatured
alcohol.

What do you guys recommend?

Though it does not cover the more recent finishes, a look at
http://tinyurl.com/d2snmh might prove worthwhile.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

SonomaProducts.com January 2nd 10 11:16 PM

repairing cherry table

Nice, I think this is one of these Darwin awards setups. I can just
see the guy buring down his house but it sure cured that pesky water
ring.

All the same concept, oil replacement and evaporation aided by heat.

Rubbing a walnut! Funny but just oil and heat.