Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Food Color as a Tinting Dye?

I am building a hardwood nativity for my wife. This project is as
much craft as woodworking but I want a nice end product. It is made
from Oak, Oak Ply, Walnut and Maple. I would like to tint some of the
oak to simulate grass or other colors. Really don't want to buy a can
of poly-shades for greens, reds, etc.

I have read that you can dye hardwood with a mixture of water, food
color and a few drops of vinegar. Has anyone tried this, and does it
work well? Some of the tint will be on Oak ply. Any other
suggestions for a tight-a** Irishman who doesn't want to buy $30 worth
of stains for less than a brush worth.

Thanks

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 5:38*pm, RonB wrote:

I have read that you can dye hardwood with a mixture of water, food
color and a few drops of vinegar. *Has anyone tried this, and does it
work well? *Some of the tint will be on Oak ply. *Any other
suggestions for a tight-a** Irishman who doesn't want to buy $30 worth
of stains for less than a brush worth.

Food coloring, as well as "foodstuffs" like KoolAide will work.
You'll need to let them dry thoroughly before applying a top coat. Do
a test sample to see how colors bleed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
I am building a hardwood nativity for my wife. This project is as
much craft as woodworking but I want a nice end product. It is made
from Oak, Oak Ply, Walnut and Maple. I would like to tint some of the
oak to simulate grass or other colors. Really don't want to buy a can
of poly-shades for greens, reds, etc.

I have read that you can dye hardwood with a mixture of water, food
color and a few drops of vinegar. Has anyone tried this, and does it
work well? Some of the tint will be on Oak ply. Any other
suggestions for a tight-a** Irishman who doesn't want to buy $30 worth
of stains for less than a brush worth.

Thanks

RonB

Go down to your local dollar store and buy a kids water color paint set.
You know the kind, a metal or plastic tray with hard puddles of paint in
the depressions. It likely will not be very color fast and will fade over time
but as a nativity scene it will probably not see much light over the course
of a year.
How's that for cheap?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Magic markers dissolved in acetone.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am not much on folklore or handed down recipes, so forgive me,
butwhat possible purpose would vinegar serve in this equation?

You can easily use the food colors the way they are right out of the
bottle. If they are too strong, dilute them with isopropyl alcohol,
the kind sold over the counter. Look for 70% strength, but the 50%
should work find if that's the stuff in the cabinet.

This will not be very color fast, but if it is for inside use, it will
work fine. To help set the colors, use a coat of clear exterior
finish such as clear enamel from a rattle can.

We have been coloring our stuff in the woodturning club this way for
years. Talk about tight... those guys wrote the book. I showed them
how to color their turned ornaments with red and green dye and it has
been a hit ever since then.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

For a great, clear, finish over . . .whatever. . . try
cyanoacrylate glue. Put it on generously, then when it's
penetrated and cured, buff with a brown paper grocery store-type
of bag.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Tinting CA? mac davis[_5_] Woodturning 14 October 28th 08 08:59 PM
Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden. [email protected] Home Repair 106 May 8th 08 09:43 PM
Tinting Shellac Virgle Woodworking 5 January 22nd 07 10:35 PM
Tinting primer with food coloring? Jane Dough Home Ownership 1 October 24th 05 04:20 PM