Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tinting CA?

Anyone tried tinting CA, and filling cracks, etc.?

I ordered some flexible black, but would like to have red, blue, etc...

I've tried mixing thick CA with redheart saw dust, but it looks more dark brown
than red..

Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask here first..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jul 10, 10:31 pm, mac davis wrote:
Anyone tried tinting CA, and filling cracks, etc.?

I ordered some flexible black, but would like to have red, blue, etc...

I've tried mixing thick CA with redheart saw dust, but it looks more dark brown
than red..

I never had luck with color matches using wood powder. I doesn't
stand out as much when the whole piece is finished but still not
satisfactory. No matter what I do, you can see the fills.

So now, when I fill a piece, the filled areas become "features". Ta -
dah!

I had good luck with color copier toners. Nothing else seems to work
that well for me.

I know you are asking about using CA, but I didn't do all that well
with CA as the filler (except with black toner) so I switched to 5
minute epoxy.

I use a lot of mesquite for different little gizmos like lamp pulls,
small candle sticks, etc., to give as gifts and to sell. As you know,
mesquite has a lot of problems with windshake, which makes lines
similar to spalting, but are really cracks. They also have several
borers in this area that love the stuff as well as termites.

So I found the more gnawed up the piece was the more interesting it
became when filled. Black is a natural color for mesquite filler and
it can really look beautiful. I rough turn several shapes to near
final, then sand to about half way, then mix up the epoxy and put some
toner in it and mix.

I had a friend give me a small bottle of toner which has lasted for
years, but until I go that I used toner that I took out of old laser
jet cartridges that couldn't be recycled.

I used red with the epoxy, and it looked OK, but the black still looks
the classiest. I haven't tried any other colors but I know others are
available on the net.

I have used powdered key filings (interesting) with both CA and epoxy,
as well as espresso grind coffee. The espresso grind mix worked great
as it didn't polish to a super high gloss like pure resins from the CA
and epoxy mix. It leaves a little bit of texture that makes the
filled area look more natural.

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

I also found the epoxy worked out MUCH cheaper than CA.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message
,
" writes

I have used powdered key filings (interesting) with both CA and epoxy,
as well as espresso grind coffee. The espresso grind mix worked great
as it didn't polish to a super high gloss like pure resins from the CA
and epoxy mix. It leaves a little bit of texture that makes the
filled area look more natural.

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

I also found the epoxy worked out MUCH cheaper than CA.

Robert

I have used the epoxy method loaded with metal powder - copper,
aluminium, brass etc., and if gives a nice finish, but you really need
to ensure you use the correct ratio of hardener to resin otherwise it
may not cure. It might need a little experimentation as the filler
affects the cure. I used a 50/50 mix but with copper powder added, in a
rather small quantity, it still stayed soft.

As to using CA, first, as you mention its more expensive. Second it
tends to dry brittle, so if the wood moves it could crack, ( the smaller
the piece of wood then relatively less movement), and third using it in
large quantities, can be uncomfortable, if not potentially dangerous to
personal health. I used a whole bottle in an experiment the other week,
and found it caused my eyes to sting, similarly to the effect Ammonia
would have, I suspect its the fumes drawing on the moisture of the eyes,
and that was 1 minute exposure
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
Anyone tried tinting CA, and filling cracks, etc.?

I ordered some flexible black, but would like to have red, blue, etc...

I've tried mixing thick CA with redheart saw dust, but it looks more dark brown
than red..

Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask here first..

mac

I tried the flexible black but maybe it was a bad bottle. It seemed to
turn out fine at the time, but a few weeks later it was bulging above
the rest of the piece. Never tried tinting CA. Epoxy tints well, at
least with black dye.

Are you staying warm down there? Don't want you getting frostbite.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A child of five could understand this!
Fetch me a child of five.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:46:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I never had luck with color matches using wood powder. I doesn't
stand out as much when the whole piece is finished but still not
satisfactory. No matter what I do, you can see the fills.

Yep.. that's why, like you, I try to contrast instead of hide..

So now, when I fill a piece, the filled areas become "features". Ta -
dah!

I had good luck with color copier toners. Nothing else seems to work
that well for me.

I know you are asking about using CA, but I didn't do all that well
with CA as the filler (except with black toner) so I switched to 5
minute epoxy.

Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

I use a lot of mesquite for different little gizmos like lamp pulls,
small candle sticks, etc., to give as gifts and to sell. As you know,
mesquite has a lot of problems with windshake, which makes lines
similar to spalting, but are really cracks. They also have several
borers in this area that love the stuff as well as termites.

So I found the more gnawed up the piece was the more interesting it
became when filled. Black is a natural color for mesquite filler and
it can really look beautiful. I rough turn several shapes to near
final, then sand to about half way, then mix up the epoxy and put some
toner in it and mix.

I had a friend give me a small bottle of toner which has lasted for
years, but until I go that I used toner that I took out of old laser
jet cartridges that couldn't be recycled.

I'm thinking that instead of mailing in the old cartridge, I'll pull the
remaining toner out.. very carefully..

I had a friend that had a toner refilling business that died from what it did to
his lungs and heart over the years..

I used red with the epoxy, and it looked OK, but the black still looks
the classiest. I haven't tried any other colors but I know others are
available on the net.

I have used powdered key filings (interesting) with both CA and epoxy,
as well as espresso grind coffee. The espresso grind mix worked great
as it didn't polish to a super high gloss like pure resins from the CA
and epoxy mix. It leaves a little bit of texture that makes the
filled area look more natural.

I'm doing a large bowl now using CA/brass filings...
It looks really cool, but the brass is hard as hell on my buffing wheels and
turns them black.. yuk..
It's a really nice effect, though, as it looks almost like gold nuggets in the
cracks and knots..

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

Good point... I use epoxy when I have too, but I'm not very patient..
Give me 2 or 3 thickness's of CA and a can of aerosol accelerator and I'm
there..lol

Thanks for the tips, Robert..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:34:58 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

Are you staying warm down there? Don't want you getting frostbite.

Well, it's a bit chilly, still..
It was 87f and 77% humidity at 6 am today..

Feels like I was in Atlanta or someplace.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jul 11, 9:39 am, mac davis wrote:

Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

We have a few Office Depot stores here, and from time to time they
will put a lone bottle of Xerox or some other brand of copier toner
that is discontinued out at a huge discount. Sometimes they even have
colored toners as well. The price isn't always an issue on though as
one bottle lasts forever making it a good investment.

When a buddy of mine was at work one day, the copier guys showed up
for his routine monthly service call, and he gave my buddy about 1/2
of the stuff left over in the bottle after filling the reservoir in
the machine. He gave that to me.

I just take all the black stuff I collect and put it in a squeeze
bottle, all mixed up. A couple of good whiffs from the bottle when
mixing is all it takes. And since it goes so far, it lasts forever.

One idea I had that I was going to try but haven't gotten to yet was
to use Rit powdered cloth dye. Seems like it should work, and for a
couple of bucks a shot you could get an whole palette of colors.

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

Good point... I use epoxy when I have too, but I'm not very patient..
Give me 2 or 3 thickness's of CA and a can of aerosol accelerator and I'm
there..lol

I hear you loud and clear on that! One of the great things about
woodturning is that you can finish your projects (or come close,
depending) the same day you start.

But if I am making lamps, I usually make them about five at a time, so
I have this "assembly line" mentality anyway.

That reminds me... I have about 3 months before my Christmas season
starts...

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jul 11, 9:39 am, mac davis wrote:

Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

If you still have the old toner cartridges there will be a few ounces of
toner left in each of them. The copier/printer doesn't get it all.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , mac davis
writes
Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

A possible alternative is the powder paints they used to have in schools
many years ago, small square tins in the UK, just add water and you had
paint, maybe they would work, and probably a lot safer than toner

or

There are powder dyes for clothing, Dylon in the UK

or

Not sure if this one is wax based, but there are dyes for colouring
paraffin wax used to make candles, a small drop goes miles
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"John" wrote: (clip) A possible alternative is the powder paints they
used to have in schools
many years ago, small square tins in the UK, just add water and you had
paint, maybe they would work, and probably a lot safer than toner (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have had success with dried up poster paints.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, the best fillers I know are the
shellac sticks that come in various colors, which can be blended, and can be
made streaky to simulate wood grain. The stuff is applied with a special
electric heated knife. It sands off beautifully to match the surrounding
wood surface. They are used by professional restorers and claims adjusters
who work for moving companies.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:49:05 GMT, Nova wrote:

On Jul 11, 9:39 am, mac davis wrote:

Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

If you still have the old toner cartridges there will be a few ounces of
toner left in each of them. The copier/printer doesn't get it all.

Yeah.. I saved it to "harvest", but that only gives me black... not a real
exciting filler color.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , John
writes

Not sure if this one is wax based, but there are dyes for colouring
paraffin wax used to make candles, a small drop goes miles

I actually came across my dyes Red Blue and Yellow so gave it a try.

Only a few grains (1/4 match head) of the dye was placed on a flat
surface (piece of wood) and CA dropped onto it. The colour flowed into
the CA almost immediate, proving it is CA soluble.
Now I have a nice red coloured piece of wood. Though it has a level of
opacity to it which can be changed by the amount of dye used. Still not
sure if it would work as a filler, because of the opacity, but does give
an option. IIRC the cost of these dyes was about $12 a time, but it
could go miles

--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:03:58 +0100, John wrote:

In message , John
writes

Not sure if this one is wax based, but there are dyes for colouring
paraffin wax used to make candles, a small drop goes miles

I actually came across my dyes Red Blue and Yellow so gave it a try.

Only a few grains (1/4 match head) of the dye was placed on a flat
surface (piece of wood) and CA dropped onto it. The colour flowed into
the CA almost immediate, proving it is CA soluble.
Now I have a nice red coloured piece of wood. Though it has a level of
opacity to it which can be changed by the amount of dye used. Still not
sure if it would work as a filler, because of the opacity, but does give
an option. IIRC the cost of these dyes was about $12 a time, but it
could go miles

Are your dyes powdered?
I have all my candle stuff packed away somewhere, but all my dyes and scents are
in blocks that you shave off of..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , mac davis
writes
[...]

Hi Mac, yes these are powdered. Mine came in a container about 2 inch
diameter and 4 inch high.

I have taken a photo of the powder, and the piece of holly I did my
experiment on. All I did was place a few grains on the wood and drip CA
on it.

There is a picture at
http://www.jtbits.com/files/dye.jpg

IIRC it only took a small quantity to dye a couple of pounds of wax to a
deep red
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:31:02 -0500, mac davis wrote
(in message ):

Anyone tried tinting CA, and filling cracks, etc.?

I ordered some flexible black, but would like to have red, blue, etc...

I've tried mixing thick CA with redheart saw dust, but it looks more dark
brown
than red..

Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask here first..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

This is way late, but thought I'd chime in. Taken me awhile to read up on
some of the rest here.
I use powdered aniline dyes in some of my woodworking, though not yet with
superglue. They are alcohol/acetone soluble, and not too spendy. They are
available in lots of colors, like the "Rit" clothing dyes are. A pinch of the
powdered dye in the CA, and you should be good. The powders can be mixed for
different shades, but you'd have to experiment to get the right recipe.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Shellac tinting Chrisgiraffe Woodworking 19 October 15th 07 05:12 PM
Tinting Shellac Virgle Woodworking 5 January 22nd 07 11:35 PM
dynamic tinting parahumanoid Home Repair 0 January 6th 06 12:28 PM
Tinting Expoy K & C Hunter Woodworking 15 December 18th 05 05:10 PM
Tinting Paste Wax Adam Kropinski Woodworking 9 July 20th 03 02:34 PM