Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hearing Protection

Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet server
related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would be a
plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help satisfy either of
those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start wearing
them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to me before.

Thank you,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet server
related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would be a
plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help satisfy either of
those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start wearing
them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to me before.

Thank you,
Bill

Bill,

I use the Electronic Ear Protector from Rockler - been very satisfied
with it.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11119

HTH

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet server
related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would be
a plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help satisfy
either of those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start wearing
them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to me before.

Thank you,
Bill

I prefer the old foam ear plugs over anything if I really need hearing
protection. We went through hundreds of them back when I was a pressman in
the local cotton gin. They work. If we needed somebody's attention right
now we yelled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Weisgram wrote:

Here is a plug that reduces volume but lets conversation through
http://www.hearinghealthhouse.com/pr...2d2c6b9e30dab6

That design has been aggressively marketed to musicians.

Regular foam plugs are a musician's worst case scenario. Since they
don't cut out all frequencies equally, leaving you with a muffled sound,
all muddy and thuddy.

Those are designed to attenuate all frequencies evenly.
In theory, it has the effect of turning the volume knob down,
instead of going into the next room, which is what foam plugs sound
like. :-)

If you can't find them or want a better price, check some music stores
for the same product under different brand names.

As a drummer, I never have to look far for hearing protection. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:00:00 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet server
related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would be
plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help satisfy either
of
those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start wearing
them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to me before.

Thank you,
Bill

There are a number of products on the market that allow you to hear
normal level noise but block louder noises.

If you are a subscriber to Fine Woodworking's website, you can view
this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdf/011189066.pdf

Do you prefer muffs or plugs? Here's a basic earmuff that attenuates
loud noises but lets conversation through:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42207

Thank you for your post. The features (and price) of the earmuff above
closely resembles
one at Rochler, mentioned earlier. It looks appropriate for me.
Thanks! -Bill

Here's an over the ear plug option:
http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-Revol.../dp/B00149DR5G

Here is a plug that reduces volume but lets conversation through
http://www.hearinghealthhouse.com/pr...2d2c6b9e30dab6

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in
:

Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet
server related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would
be a plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help
satisfy either of those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start
wearing them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to
me before.

Thank you,
Bill

I won't speak to safety, but I will comfort. The foam on the H10A is
soft enough to fit around my glasses without causing excessive pressure.
They won't seal completely around every obstruction (my safety goggles),
but if you can move it they'll still be comfortable.

I got both the H10A and H9A muffs, and use the H9A when working out in
the yard. The H10A is a tad bit quieter than the H9A (I think the
ratings were -26dB and -23dB.)

If you buy one pair and decide to go with something else, you'll have a
decent back up pair or a pair to dedicate to something specific. Last I
knew, they were both around $18 each. The plastic banded ones in the
stores cost almost that much anyway, and the Peltors have a metal band
that won't snap. (I got some from Lowes that snapped when I removed them
once. Sure felt like I wasted all that time wearing them to have them
snap next to my ears.)

These are passive muffs, meaning everything will be dampened. You'd have
to get something active to be able to hear normal voices.

Puckdropper
--
Christmas is coming... What are you getting me? :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet server
related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would be
a plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help satisfy
either of those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start wearing
them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to me before.

Thank you,
Bill

I am working on getting the Ryobi Tech 4 hearing protectors. They
comfortably fit my brain size. I have a set or Peltors IIRC but when I
swallow or or yawn the muffs open up and the noise comes right in.
Be sure and try on what ever you buy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for the heads-up. I wear glasses, and I should be wearing safety
goggles too. I'm intend to try the pair from Rockler's. I am actually
surprised
Rochler and Woodcraft do not offer more selection in hearing protection.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in
:

[...]

Try http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...eyword=hearing
I have one of their active, sound cancelling muffs (no longer offered but
look *exactly* like the Rocklers). THe problem is that I forget to turn
them off and the batteries are shot the next time I want to use them.
That's my own fault.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:54:06 -0500, the infamous "Bill"
scrawled the following:

--Leon snipped--
Thank you for the heads-up. I wear glasses, and I should be wearing safety
goggles too. I'm intend to try the pair from Rockler's. I am actually
surprised
Rochler and Woodcraft do not offer more selection in hearing protection.

Bill, I'm chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal and find that these: http://fwd4.me/6Hn
work just fine in my ears with the bell flare -in- the ear, as do
these: http://fwd4.me/6Ho in normal shop noise. Used together, they'd
make a _rock_concert_ boring from the quiet. That's a total $5
investment for the two items.

I picked up some of these for shooting and they're wonderful:
And at $15, they're dirt cheap.

Normites don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get quiet in the
shop.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:54:06 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

I have a pair of ear muffs that seal around the ear. I use them in
the shop and when using a back-pack leaf blower. I think my surface
planer and router art the noisiest shop tools. I tried the spongee
cylinder ear plugs--they work too, very inexpensive and may be better
for some folks--buy them at your firearms dealer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep - I have Big Bore version for the range - and the first set I
bought - Small Bore (22LR) in the shop. Two volume controls and
impulse quenching and lower other noise. I can hear the TV and
not the plasma screech or hammering steel.
Wish I had found the lower cost ones first! Shop can be tough
on them. I keep mine in a box unless on my head. Mine uses 4 N
batteries.
Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Hearing Protection Jim Weisgram[_2_] Woodworking 0 November 28th 09 05:17 PM
Hearing Protection krw[_5_] Woodworking 0 November 28th 09 05:04 AM
Hearing protection Lowell Holmes Woodworking 43 January 28th 09 05:23 PM
Hearing Protection? Steve Woodworking 7 October 17th 06 04:06 PM
Hearing Protection Maskman Woodworking 51 December 7th 04 03:16 PM