Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is your approach to woodworking?

I suspect my approach might be a little different, but I'd be interested to
see how much.

The material I use is predominantly highly figured pine. This is mainly
because my current wife, (I have had one less than Henry VIII,) really likes
it and considers high quality timbers like Jarrah to be bland. (Not me
Phully, it's the missus that thinks that.) Suits me, because with patience
and a little conniving, I can buy it here for a song and she gets what she
wants, I get tons of the stuff to play with and it's a very cheap hobby.
(The pine is structural reject timber in the main)

I never buy wood for specific project, - a self-imposed restriction is that
I must use what I have at the time. As I've acquired more machinery, that
has become much easier. If my wife wanted something built from Tassie Oak,
for example, the reply would be "Sorry, no can do." Same with a fixed
design. Not interested. It's really not that much of a restriction, - most
of us could build a world class heavy workbench from matchsticks if we
chose.

I don't do plans and won't adhere to a specific design idea. I start with a
concept, work out in my head how I'm going to achieve that with what I have
to hand and let it evolve from there. (The "make do with what you have"
approach instilled in me growing up on farm.) Not afraid to make radical
changes as I go along. Surprisingly, I waste very little wood in spite of
these changes. (Glue is truly a wonderful thing.) I'm no fine woodworker and
don't aspire to be. Those of you who are professionals or skilled craftsmen
would be doubtless be horrified by some of my approaches. To make something
strong, functional, useful and pleasing to me is my aim.

Therein, lies the joy of wookwork for me, - the challenge and satisfaction
of creating something that reflects my own (lack of) skills, experience and
free will, - not what some plan requires of me. Sounds artistic, but I'm
certainly no artist.

So what's your approach?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 12, 8:17*am, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote, in part:

So what's your approach?

Like getting on a horse, or my politics, from the left.

;-)

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:

Therein, lies the joy of wookwork for me, - the challenge and
satisfaction of creating something that reflects my own (lack of)
skills, experience and free will, - not what some plan requires of me.
Sounds artistic, but I'm certainly no artist.

I read somewhere, and I have observed it to generally be true, that
people get what they want from their activities. Most often, what
people say they want is different from what they really want. However,
in your case, I think you've been careful at sifting out what it is
you are after from woodworking, at least for today. Next month, or
next year, what you need, may change. You say you are no artist, but
I'll bet you'll step right up to the plate should the need arise...

So what's your approach?

Just like yours--as individual as my needs.

Peace,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good plan - stick with it. There are better woodworkers than me, but
very few who enjoy making sawdust as much as I do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message
. au...
[...]

So very much of what you said also describes what I did in my
shop. I never used plans, but if I saw something I liked, such as
the gumball dispensers, I felt free to make my own version. Most
of the shop math was done on envelopes, scrap paper and the
occasional piece of white oak. The wood I used ranged from
cypress (for Jake's Chairs and footstools) to walnut and cherry
for things to give away or have in the house. I did one cabinet
in rock maple and a great room set of tables etc. in white oak.
Generally, though, I'd go with the cherry and walnut, since so
much was labor intensive and if I was gonna' put in that much
time, the cost of materials was minor.

One wood I had that was great as long as it lasted was aromatic
red cedar from my own property. Whenever I would clean out an
area of trees, I'd save the bigger logs in my basement, cutting
them up as needed. It was fun, the smell was great and that stuff
is hard as a rock in a few years.

There was a hardwood wholesaler in our area where I'd get my rough
lumber: particularly the walnut and cherry. One morning I went by
the place to pick up a bit and met the two owners by the front
door. The place had been cleaned out overnight by them of the
machinery, front store inventory and virtually all of the most
valuable hardwood inventory in the back. They couldn't hack it
financially with the two locations, and had decided to stage a
retreat from the store in our town. The guy told me that he was
leaving the back roll-up door unlocked and that I could have
anything I found in the place.

I had my 1-ton dually pickup and by the time I drove away, locking
the door behind me, the front wheels were barely touching the
pavement. Most of what I got was short stuff, cracked or warped,
since they took the good stuff to their other store. However, for
a guy who had a 20" planer, raised bandsaw and a lot of patience,
I didn't need to buy much after that one trip "to the store."
gloat and grin

Incidentally, something I learned about myself over the years was
that I really didn't enjoy building a project again. For
instance, I had loads of patience building things like the gumball
dispensers, coasters, coaster holders etc., but to do it again a
year later had no interest to me.

--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:

I suspect my approach might be a little different, but I'd be
interested to see how much.

My approach is to try to learn something new with every project--not too
difficult considering the depth of woodworking ignorance I started with. I
usually sketch out a plan and don't make any sawdust until I have at least
the basic structure set, but I'm not the sort to spend weeks with a CAD
program plotting everything down to a 64th of an inch. While I realize that
better preparation produces better final results, I also know that
correcting mistakes is highly educational. I usually buy materials for
every new project since aside from cut-offs and reclaimed wood I don't keep
much wood on hand--don't have the room. I started off buying cheap tools
but quickly decided I'd rather pay for superior tools than struggle with
poor ones, so now I research every tool I buy and pay what it takes to get a
good one. I make a point of quickly and conspicuously using any new tool so
SWMBO doesn't raise an eyebrow the next time I want to buy a tool. The
nicest compliment I can think of in regard to woodworking is when someone
asks me if I could make one just like that for their home--which reminds me,
I have a Christmas present to finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I see alot of those themes in my own approach.

I have zero interest in (other people's) plans. Half the fun is designing
something to meet my own personally weighted fiscal, functional and
aesthetic criteria.

I try not to buy wood per project. But I will is a ver specific need arises.

When the opportunity presents itself I buy wood in volmume in the cheap.
For me, I want to be able to go out to the barn, pull some stock off the
pile and start making sawdust without fiscal remorse.

That's a whole lot easier when I know that I paid $1/bdft on craigs list.

I know have an inventory approaching 2K bd ft. which includes Oak, Maple,
Cherry, Ash, and Poplar. I always try to use smallest lowest grade stick
that will do the job.

-Steve

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message

[...]

You suck so much I bet you don't need a shop Vac
A great score

Incidentally, something I learned about myself over the years was that I
really didn't enjoy building a project again. For instance, I had loads
of patience building things like the gumball dispensers, coasters, coaster
holders etc., but to do it again a year later had no interest to me.

Interesting. That's me to a "T" For me it stems from way back.
I have a tendency to totally immerse myself in things, then having done
that, totally lose interest.
That's with everything in life, right from when I was an anklebiter.
Started before I went to school, my Mother began to teach me a few basics in
reading and writing. I soaked it up like a sponge. By the time I got to
starting school, and my classmates were starting to learn their ABC's, I was
reading the daily paper. Caused me, my teachers and classmates no end of
problems. They coped by letting me do my own thing, allowing me to decide
which classes I wanted to be in. I jumped several grades but it didn't help
much. Which was a demonstartion of their inability to cope. I never
studied. No point when I already knew the answers.
By that stage I was a very bored, very frustrated troublemaker and a had a
bad attitude. That set a pattern for me. Couldn't stay with anything unless
there was a large continuous challenge that didn't involve mundane
paperwork. (I wouldn't wish growing up like that on my worst enemy.)
Woodwork is one of few the things that I haven't consumed and then walked
away disinterested from. The endless possibilities, the chance for
innovation and the freedom of expression has been very good for me and
continues to be so.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:

Woodwork is one of few the things that I haven't consumed and then
walked away disinterested from. The endless possibilities, the chance
for innovation and the freedom of expression has been very good for me
and continues to be so.

diggerop

What you said, and "using/having/knowing how to use" tools extends our
individual "reach". Striving to understand this leads to a better
understanding of "humanity", I think.

In short, tools are just plain cool! : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:
I suspect my approach might be a little different, but I'd be interested
to see how much.

So what's your approach?

My woodworking is a means to an end. I do it almost exclusively to make
what can't be bought or if I perceive that what /can/ be bought isn't
worth buying. Generally I'm a lot more concerned about how well what I
build /works/ than in how it /looks/.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:

Therein, lies the joy of wookwork for me, - the challenge and
satisfaction of creating something that reflects my own (lack of)
skills, experience and free will, - not what some plan requires of me.
Sounds artistic, but I'm certainly no artist.

So what's your approach?

In a nutshell ... from this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/WideCherryS2S1E.JPG
and this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC2.JPG
to this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Hc251.jpg

.... the smile says it all!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
diggerop wrote:

Therein, lies the joy of wookwork for me, - the challenge and
satisfaction of creating something that reflects my own (lack of)
skills, experience and free will, - not what some plan requires of me.
Sounds artistic, but I'm certainly no artist.

So what's your approach?

In a nutshell ... from this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/WideCherryS2S1E.JPG
and this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC2.JPG
to this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Hc251.jpg

... the smile says it all!

So do the pictures of you on the wall above her bed.
:-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
diggerop wrote:

Therein, lies the joy of wookwork for me, - the challenge and
satisfaction of creating something that reflects my own (lack of) skills,
experience and free will, - not what some plan requires of me. Sounds
artistic, but I'm certainly no artist.

So what's your approach?

In a nutshell ... from this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/WideCherryS2S1E.JPG
and this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC2.JPG
to this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Hc251.jpg

... the smile says it all!

It does. On that basis the work is priceless.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

.... the smile says it all!

Looks like you might be the best paid woodworker in town!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
diggerop wrote:

Woodwork is one of few the things that I haven't consumed and then walked
away disinterested from. The endless possibilities, the chance for
innovation and the freedom of expression has been very good for me and
continues to be so.

diggerop

What you said, and "using/having/knowing how to use" tools extends our
individual "reach". Striving to understand this leads to a better
understanding of "humanity", I think.

In short, tools are just plain cool! : )

Especially handplanes. Using a nice sharp one and raising a little sweat
flattening a board is good for the soul, I reckon. : )

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
The nicest compliment I can think of in regard to woodworking is when
someone asks me if I could make one just like that for their home--which
reminds me, I have a Christmas present to finish.

That's the payoff isn't it. The feeling that gives makes it all worthwhile.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"StephenM" wrote in message
news
I see alot of those themes in my own approach.

I have zero interest in (other people's) plans. Half the fun is designing
something to meet my own personally weighted fiscal, functional and
aesthetic criteria.

I try not to buy wood per project. But I will is a ver specific need
arises.

When the opportunity presents itself I buy wood in volmume in the cheap.
For me, I want to be able to go out to the barn, pull some stock off the
pile and start making sawdust without fiscal remorse.

That's a whole lot easier when I know that I paid $1/bdft on craigs list.

I know have an inventory approaching 2K bd ft. which includes Oak, Maple,
Cherry, Ash, and Poplar. I always try to use smallest lowest grade stick
that will do the job.

-Steve

A kindred soul. Nice to know I'm not alone in the world. : )

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
Swingman wrote:
diggerop wrote:

Therein, lies the joy of wookwork for me, - the challenge and
satisfaction of creating something that reflects my own (lack of)
skills, experience and free will, - not what some plan requires of
me. Sounds artistic, but I'm certainly no artist.

So what's your approach?

In a nutshell ... from this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/WideCherryS2S1E.JPG
and this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC2.JPG
to this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Hc251.jpg

... the smile says it all!

So do the pictures of you on the wall above her bed.

Hey, Bubba, that's my little girl ... and as long as those stay
_pictures_!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been interested in woodworking ever since I watched a crew frame a
house next door to my grandmothers house.
That was about 1962, I was 7. I did not get serious about it until I could
afford the more serious tools in about 1978. My girlfriend and now my wife
of almost 30 years and I build most of our furniture to fill our appartment.
I was not about to buy furniture when I could build it! During my early and
later years of employment in the automotive industry wood working helped me
keep my sanity, I think. ;~)
I retired from that industry in 1995 and have been doing my own thing, more
serious woodworking.

Thirty years ago I had visions of what to build and having had a formal
drafting back ground sketched most all of my projects out but only for
ideas. In 1986 I went back to drafting, CAD, to help me keep track of my
projects a little better. I learned that if you have a CAD drawing you have
a plan that can easily be changed if necessary. Through the years I
upgraded drawing programs and eventually switched over to AutoCAD about 12
years ago. Up until last year I could not imagine using another piece of
software to design my projects. Then I discovered Sketchup, a cheap but
revolutionary drawing program. Now I wonder again how I got by for all
these years with out Sketchup.

I find that I don't have to worry about how something is going to fit when
out in the shop, all of the thinking, planning, and fitting goes on with the
computer. If the drawing works, the project works. With Sketchup and a
plug in called Cutlist 4.0 and an optimization program called Cutlist 2009 I
no longer have a need for every thing to be dimensioned. I do use a few
dimensions to insure that the drawing is falling with in guide lines but
data going to the optimization program gives it enough information about
every part that the output drawings showing how to cut my lumber for best
yield are all I really need to cut up all the pieces to exact sizes.

Because of my lack of storage room for many years I bought wood as needed.
About 5 years ago I added a storage room in the back yard and now stock up
on lumber when ever I see a good deal.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2009 05:19 PM, Leon wrote:

I do use a few
dimensions to insure that the drawing is falling with in guide lines but
data going to the optimization program gives it enough information about
every part that the output drawings showing how to cut my lumber for best
yield are all I really need to cut up all the pieces to exact sizes.

Do you actually use the cutlist optimization? I can see it for sheet
goods but I wouldn't have thought that would work so well for solid wood
when you need to select for grain pattern, work around knots, avoid
waney edges, etc.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

From the photo's I've seen of your work, yours is really serious woodworking
Leon. Something for myself and others to aspire too. I can imagine it gives
you enormous satisfaction.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:

The nicest compliment I can think of in regard to woodworking is when
someone asks me if I could make one just like that for their
home--which reminds me, I have a Christmas present to finish.

That's the payoff isn't it. The feeling that gives makes it all
worthwhile.
diggerop

Yup, if someone wants one to put in their front hall then they aren't just
*saying* it looks nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Thirty years ago I had visions of what to build and having had a formal
drafting back ground sketched most all of my projects out but only for
ideas.

Just this afternoon, after all these years, I finally came to the
conclusion that I probably like building "jigs and fixtures", more than
anything else ... go figure!

Needed to work on the crown molding on that hutch you helped me move the
other day, was dragging my feet on getting it done, dreading going into
the shop, and finally decided what I really needed to do was to make a
"jig"!

After all, the crown, while simple, was custom stock and scarce, and
there was not much left to screw up on.

Screw the hutch and crown! ... rummaged through the scrap pile and spent
an absolute glorious, and thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the shop,
screwing and gluing and "jigging up" for the job!

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/simple1.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/simple2.jpg

Hmmmm ... when something that simple is more enjoyable than the end
result, you may be well approaching things the wrong way?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:17:12 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"
toobusy@themoment scrawled the following:

I suspect my approach might be a little different, but I'd be interested to
see how much.

The material I use is predominantly highly figured pine. This is mainly
because my current wife, (I have had one less than Henry VIII,) really likes
it and considers high quality timbers like Jarrah to be bland. (Not me
Phully, it's the missus that thinks that.) Suits me, because with patience
and a little conniving, I can buy it here for a song and she gets what she
wants, I get tons of the stuff to play with and it's a very cheap hobby.
(The pine is structural reject timber in the main)

Have you ever told your missus that her taste is all in her mouth?
No, I didn't think so. Butcha thought it, right?

I never buy wood for specific project, - a self-imposed restriction is that
I must use what I have at the time. As I've acquired more machinery, that
has become much easier. If my wife wanted something built from Tassie Oak,
for example, the reply would be "Sorry, no can do." Same with a fixed
design. Not interested. It's really not that much of a restriction,

Right. Real men don't use plans. I sketch things up and build them
something like it as I go.

- most
of us could build a world class heavy workbench from matchsticks if we
chose.

But we wouldn't like to.

[...]

Pineywood Pukey Ducks do it for ya, do they? OK.

So what's your approach?

For the future jarrah furniture I plan on building, I'll likely use a
story stick.

--
You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of
OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman said:

Leon wrote:

[...]

I feel about the same. Much of the stuff I did in the beginning was
making jigs and such to do "future projects" that required accuracy or
positioning beyond that which was available from the machines out of
the box. Tweaking the alignment of machines, sharpening blades,
polishing beds and building jigs a

Feel good projects whose ends are attainable in an hour to few days.
Good warm-ups that put you in the mood for more challenging projects.
Don't require complicated 3D plans and can be sketched on a napkin.
Don't require expensive woods and mistakes aren't heart wrenching.
NO SANDING or FINISHING short of a quick spritz of lacquer or shellac.
Fun to use as you test and prove how much time and material they save.
The possibility that you will dream up that "better mousetrap" that
will earn a fortune and allow one to retire to the Caribbean Islands.
(Maybe this one's far fetched... or is it. Think pocket screw jig?)

Now I have to go dream up a new jig to build.
That chop saw fence looks good - now how to make it adjustable...

Not to stick my nose in, but I'd remove those two triangular towers of
wood at the cut so that they don't shift and jam the blade.
OK - I'm paranoid. ;-)

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just curious, Do you folks look at your yard's and think about ways to make
it "better"? I'm not talking about the guy that wants to move him and his
dog to the trailer park... ; ) More like trellices (sp), decorative
fences, and stuff like that. The same imagination at work, no? This year
in my new-to-me house I was content to learn how to grow a few hundred
square feet of grass. Seems to be doing okay too! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Bill

Contact me off list.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I grew up in my father's shop.. He worked in the construction trade but
built and worked on boats on his off-time. I had the chore of cleaning up
the shop and bringing tools to him and so on until I was teenager. It was
my responsibility as his son, but I enjoyed it for the most part. Then we
moved closer to the beach and the shop was gone. He still had at least one
boat though and almost every weekend he would take me down to the dock in
his old truck and we would work on whatever wooden boat he had at the time,
or we took it fishing. After finishing high school, I moved out on my own.
I was drafted into the Army for 2 years at 19.. After that, college on the
GI bill and off to a career completely unrelated to woodworking for 32
years. Before retiring, I began collecting up serious woodworking tools.
I'd always had a radial arm saw, band saw and hand tools to do work around
the house, build fences, sheds so on, but never the tools for fine
woodworking. Since retirement, I've done as much as I can to learn all I
can about wood working. I've taken almost all of the cabinetmaking and
woodworking classes at our local Junior college, joined the local
woodworking society, read many books on fine woodworking, watched many DVDs
and gained experience. Woodworking is a passion with me. Although its not
my only retirement past-time, it is the one I spend at least a few hours
everyday pursuing. I am a fine woodworker. I love building furniture. I
love working with hardwood. I measure distances with calipers, if I can.
I use AutoCAD. I love using hand tools and planes and with practice my
skills are improving. As for my father, now 85, well he always has some
small thing he wants me to build for him out of wood, which I enjoy doing,
or he brings over something that we repair together. He trained me well.
Life is good..

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Contact me off list.

Lew

Lew,

When I try to send you messages (today and a while back), they are returned
to me indicating that your mailbox is "temporarily disabled". Please
advise.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

Sure sounds it. Good post.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Just curious, Do you folks look at your yard's and think about ways to
make it "better"? I'm not talking about the guy that wants to move him
and his dog to the trailer park... ; ) More like trellices (sp),
decorative fences, and stuff like that. The same imagination at work, no?
This year in my new-to-me house I was content to learn how to grow a few
hundred square feet of grass. Seems to be doing okay too! : )

Bill

That's the province of the missus in this house. I just provide manual
labour for the heavy stuff.
Her gardens continually evolve - informal cottage garden style - and both
front and back yards are completely covered in flowers, shrubs, (exotic and
native) and fruit trees plus a large pond with fish and frogs. She's even
got two banana trees growing, which the experts say will not grow this far
south. She didn't know that, so grew them anyway. One has banana's on it
now. The place is now a haven for birds and frogs and quolls (a small
marsupial about twicw the size of a very large rat.)
Oh and no grass. We spent the first year after we bought the place digging
out every single blade of grass. Which means I have no grass to mow. Shame
about that. ; )

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
certainly no artist.

Pineywood Pukey Ducks do it for ya, do they? OK.

Nah. Pukey Ducks are for you Seppo's. Emu's mate, emu's.

We even used to use them in place of plaster ducks on the wall in the 60's,
although they're a bit hard to nail to the wall because the buggers struggle
so much.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" wrote:

Oh and no grass. We spent the first year after we bought the place
digging out every single blade of grass. Which means I have no
grass to mow. Shame about that. ; )

Something more people need to think about in the southwestern US,
especially here in SoCal, which is by and large a paved desert.

Water rationing is in vogue these days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" wrote:

Oh and no grass. We spent the first year after we bought the place
digging out every single blade of grass. Which means I have no grass to
mow. Shame about that. ; )

Something more people need to think about in the southwestern US,
especially here in SoCal, which is by and large a paved desert.

Water rationing is in vogue these days.

Lew

We've been on garden usage rationing for some time now, plus lawn sprinkler
bans in summertime, yet most people here still try and maintain extensive
lawns.
Beats me.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" wrote:

We've been on garden usage rationing for some time now, plus lawn
sprinkler bans in summertime, yet most people here still try and
maintain extensive lawns.
Beats me.

Must be a remnant from the UK

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
On 11/12/2009 05:19 PM, Leon wrote:

I do use a few
dimensions to insure that the drawing is falling with in guide lines but
data going to the optimization program gives it enough information about
every part that the output drawings showing how to cut my lumber for
best
yield are all I really need to cut up all the pieces to exact sizes.

Do you actually use the cutlist optimization? I can see it for sheet
goods but I wouldn't have thought that would work so well for solid wood
when you need to select for grain pattern, work around knots, avoid
waney edges, etc.

Chris

ABSOLUTELY! You have grain pattern and book matching slips on plywood if
you are not buying rotary cut veneers, solid wood is not that much more of a
problem.
Given knots and grain, I simply cull the boards that I want to use in
specific spots. I may do as many as 3 or 4 separate optimizations on a
large project. There is no rule that you have to optimize all at one time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message
. au...
"Leon" wrote in message

From the photo's I've seen of your work, yours is really serious
woodworking Leon. Something for myself and others to aspire too. I can
imagine it gives you enormous satisfaction.

Well thank you for the totally unexpected compliment. It has pretty much
taken me 30 years to get there. ;~)

Woodworking in general still gives me great satisfaction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message
news snip

Not to stick my nose in, but I'd remove those two triangular towers of
wood at the cut so that they don't shift and jam the blade.
OK - I'm paranoid. ;-)

..

What fun would that be?? LOL

Maybe just slide the jig down an inch or so and make a new cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Just curious, Do you folks look at your yard's and think about ways to
make it "better"? I'm not talking about the guy that wants to move him
and his dog to the trailer park... ; ) More like trellices (sp),
decorative fences, and stuff like that. The same imagination at work, no?
This year in my new-to-me house I was content to learn how to grow a few
hundred square feet of grass. Seems to be doing okay too! : )

Bill

I try to make my yard as maintainance free as possible. Now if I could get
the Live Oak to drop its leaves in the Fall instead of the Spring.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Screw the hutch and crown! ... rummaged through the scrap pile and spent
an absolute glorious, and thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the shop,
screwing and gluing and "jigging up" for the job!

Were you getting "Jiggy with It"? LOL

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/simple1.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/simple2.jpg

Swaaaaaaaeeet....

Hmmmm ... when something that simple is more enjoyable than the end
result, you may be well approaching things the wrong way?

No, as I mentioned to diggerop, woodworking in general still gives me great
satiafaction. You are simply multitasking, completing projects on the way.
It does not matter what I am building as long as I am building.