Posted to rec.woodworking

Default No Electricity Table Saw

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:46:36 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

For the money you can get an electric TS. ;~)

Sure, but I still think this is really designed for very small precise work.
Table saws in general do a bit of everything. And when you start to do small
stuff on the table saw, the danger element goes up. Soooo......, something
that reduces the risk and makes small parts may be a niche product. But for
someone who could use it, it is probably really worth the money.

That blade on there will be more than happy to cut right through you
if you get careless with it, just like a circular blade.

http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html

You could buy the disc sander and drum sander along with it for less
money.

Doing dovetails on that thing was pretty cool though.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
I think a large number of people would be interested just because it's
small and quiet. Not too many people have wives that wouldn't object
to firing up the table saw in the basement at two in the morning.

True dat. I have a friend who uses nothing but hand tools, because he
works in his living room... yes, he's single, and he lives in the upper
half of a duplex.

I'm
finding machine noise more objectionable as I age. I use earplugs,
but I don't like the noise, period. You can also stick it up on a
shelf when it's not in use.

It's all relative, isn't it? This new-to-me Delta seems silent compared
to that POS direct-drive Ryobi I replaced.

But I still wouldn't run it at 2am. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...tables_aw.html

Lew

Hey, where's the friggin' blade guard? I hear the dentist-drill sound
that thing makes, then I imagine sticking my finger in the wrong place
right when I'm making an exuberant swipe, and... shudder

Don't worry, SawStop is coming out with their own version.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 27, 3:21*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/27/2009 9:58 AM Kevin spake thus:

Doing dovetails on that thing was pretty cool though.

Yeah, just think of the production speed (and accuracy!) one could get
cranking out pins and tails. 90% of your time would be spent chopping
out waste.

If it were simply production I was concerned with, I'd have the
dovetailed boxes made, finished and delivered. I'm in it for me and
my enjoyment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2009 9:27 AM RicodJour spake thus:

On Oct 27, 6:08 am, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

"Artemus" wrote in message

For the money you can get an electric TS. ;~)

.....Or less even. I just bought a new 12" TS, L.H tilt, with sliding
table, two table extensions and a primitive biesemeyer style fence for less
than AUD$700

How is that comparable? Other than the fact that they both cut wood,
they are barely related in market(ing).

I think a large number of people would be interested just because it's
small and quiet. Not too many people have wives that wouldn't object
to firing up the table saw in the basement at two in the morning. I'm
finding machine noise more objectionable as I age. I use earplugs,
but I don't like the noise, period. You can also stick it up on a
shelf when it's not in use.

Yep, agreed. After my initial misgivings, I realized that this is a
pretty original tool worthy of consideration. I would expect to see more
tools like it, and more variations in the next few years. And it
certainly wouldn't be beyond a dedicated DIYer to come up with a doable
design.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2009 9:50 AM Nonny spake thus:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in
message ...

Sure, but I still think this is really designed for very small
precise work. Table saws in general do a bit of everything. And
when you start to do small stuff on the table saw, the danger
element goes up. Soooo......, something that reduces the risk
and makes small parts may be a niche product. But for someone
who could use it, it is probably really worth the money.

What's involved in sharpening or replacing the blade?

Dunno for sure, but it looks to be no more complicated than removing a
few screws. (I'm guessing there are some blade clamps on the bottom edge.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2009 9:49 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Agreed. It's not clear that having the workpiece move is the best way
and it is certainly not as safe as having the saw blade mounted on a
sliding track and moving it through the clamped workpiece. It would
be slower, though.

Regarding safety, my guess is that this saw is only unsafe in the sense
that a bandsaw is more unsafe than a table saw, as counterintuitive as
that seems. I say that because a table saw, while it is probably
actually more dangerous, warns the user with a screaming blade and other
noise, while the bandsaw just sits there humming away, ready to take off
one's thumb.

The Bridge City saw (what do we call that tool, anyhow?) is even quieter
than a bandsaw, so that probably increases its inherent dangerousness.
But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every
second to where your hands are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
For the money you can get an electric TS. ;~)

Sure, but I still think this is really designed for very small precise work.
Table saws in general do a bit of everything.

And this thing's really only useful for crosscuts, no? If you have to
rip anything of significant length you're going to have to switch to a
different tool.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every
second to where your hands are.

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2009 10:39 AM -MIKE- spake thus:

Steve Turner wrote:

Hey, where's the friggin' blade guard? I hear the dentist-drill sound
that thing makes, then I imagine sticking my finger in the wrong place
right when I'm making an exuberant swipe, and... shudder

Don't worry, SawStop is coming out with their own version.

Right: it'll attach to your skull with electrodes, and freeze all your
limbs when it senses you're too close to the blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every
second to where your hands are.

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router? or
bandsaw? or... (grin)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 26, 7:41*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Maybe some Festool competition.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...tables_aw.html

Lew

I'm waiting for the SAWSTOP version of this to come out!

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Hey, where's the friggin' blade guard? I hear the dentist-drill
sound that thing makes, then I imagine sticking my finger in the
wrong place right when I'm making an exuberant swipe, and... shudder

Don't worry, SawStop is coming out with their own version.

Right: it'll attach to your skull with electrodes, and freeze all your
limbs when it senses you're too close to the blade.

I was thinks more along the lines of a 44 magnum with the barrel pointed
towards the operator.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention
every second to where your hands are.

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router?
or bandsaw? or... (grin)

Yes, but with those tools you're not hurtling your hands into harms way
at a high rate of speed. Well, *I'm* not anyway. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every
second to where your hands are.

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router?
or bandsaw? or... (grin)

Yes, but with those tools you're not hurtling your hands into harms way at
a high rate of speed. Well, *I'm* not anyway. :-)

Chances, though, that with the tablesaw you will lose a finger or worse.
With the non powered device, you will bleed but it would take real work to
remove a finger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Even bloodying a finger on the stationary saw blade would be a big FAIL in
my book.

I agree. At first, I was surprised that the safety subject came up at all
then I realized that there are people out there that need a seatbelt on a
toilet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2009 2:10 PM CW spake thus:

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every
second to where your hands are.

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router?
or bandsaw? or... (grin)

Yes, but with those tools you're not hurtling your hands into harms way at
a high rate of speed. Well, *I'm* not anyway. :-)

Chances, though, that with the tablesaw you will lose a finger or worse.
With the non powered device, you will bleed but it would take real work to
remove a finger.

Even bloodying a finger on the stationary saw blade would be a big FAIL
in my book.

I'm happy to say that I've never even nicked my finger on a tablesaw
blade, spinning or not. And that's not by accident.

Now, my experience with just plain old knife blades is a whole 'nother
story ...

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2009 1:32 PM Nova spake thus:

Steve Turner wrote:

Hey, where's the friggin' blade guard? I hear the dentist-drill
sound that thing makes, then I imagine sticking my finger in the
wrong place right when I'm making an exuberant swipe, and... shudder

Don't worry, SawStop is coming out with their own version.

Right: it'll attach to your skull with electrodes, and freeze all your
limbs when it senses you're too close to the blade.

I was thinks more along the lines of a 44 magnum with the barrel pointed
towards the operator.

Ah, yes; that's the "single use" model.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

For the money you can get an electric TS. ;~)

.....Or less even. I just bought a new 12" TS, L.H tilt, with sliding
table, two table extensions and a primitive biesemeyer style fence for
less
than AUD$700

How is that comparable? Other than the fact that they both cut wood,
they are barely related in market(ing).

Who's comparing? Perhaps I could have put it more clearly. I'll try again:

For the money you can get an electric TS. ;~)

.....Or less even. I just bought a new 12" TS, L.H tilt, with sliding
table, two table extensions and a primitive biesemeyer style fence for
less
than AUD$700

No comparison of saws in that, just a comment on TS prices. .......It's
about the money ......... : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

But I'd be willing to learn to use it. Just have to pay attention every
second to where your hands are.

Kind of like you do with a sled on your table saw?

Kind of like you do with *every* operation on a table saw? or router?
or bandsaw? or... (grin)

Yes, but with those tools you're not hurtling your hands into harms way at
a high rate of speed. Well, *I'm* not anyway. :-)

I'll admit I noticed that in the video and cringed a bit each time the stock
went towards the blade. I assume there are guards left off for
demonstration purposes.

I said way back there, that I didn't really see the utility... I'll add the
qualifer, "for me".

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Maybe some Festool competition.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...tables_aw.html

Lew

A few years ago, some teenage kid had rigged up an old Scroll Saw with a
burned out motor to an old tredle sewing machine base. He had maybe $10 in
it (mostly for new blades). He powered the tredle which powered the scroll
saw by way of a round belt.
He was going to make Christmas ornaments, gadgets, and thing-a-ma-doodles to
sell and earn his college money from it.
It cut up a storm.
Smart kid.

Axel