Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help! Insect ID

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and on
two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each board).
At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY small. I took
laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am not sure termites
can be that small. I have google my butt off and cannot find any reference
to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am
not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

I added a pic to ABPW
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . 161, "Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote:
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
.207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am
not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

I added a pic to ABPW

How about posting a pic on the web, to some photo-sharing site? Lots of us
don't have access to ABPW.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-10-18, Doug Miller wrote:

don't have access to ABPW.

....or even know what it is.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 1:59*pm, "Dave - Parkville, MD"
wrote:
I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and on
two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each board). *
At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY small. *I took
laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. *I am not sure termites
can be that small. *I have google my butt off and cannot find any reference
to a termite of that size. *Baby termite??

Any ideas??

The shape doesn't look like a termite to me. It's small like a powder
post beetle, but the damage to the wood in that picture points to a
bigger bug. Powder post beetles leave tiny round holes like someone
stuck an awl in the wood repeatedly.

Send your pictures ( a better close-up would be very helpful) to this
place:
http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/homeowner...ugreporter.htm
They'll probably be able to identify it for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-10-18, Doug Miller wrote:

don't have access to ABPW.

....or even know what it is.

nb

It's a binary news group.

alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
don't have access to ABPW.

....or even know what it is.

It's a binary news group.
alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

That would be alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop
and on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on
each board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were
REALLY small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32"
long. I am not sure termites can be that small. I have google my
butt off and cannot find any reference to a termite of that size.
Baby termite??

Any ideas??

The shape doesn't look like a termite to me. It's small like a powder
post beetle, but the damage to the wood in that picture points to a
bigger bug. Powder post beetles leave tiny round holes like someone
stuck an awl in the wood repeatedly.

I think powder post beetles. The hole where they emerge is toothpick size
but inside the excavations can be/are much larger. One thing sure, they
aren't teredos
http://www.forestry.ubc.ca/fetch21/F...0damage1_1.JPG

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . 166, "Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

I added a pic to ABPW

How about posting a pic on the web, to some photo-sharing site? Lots
of us don't have access to ABPW.

Try this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42458793@N06/4022770427/

The insect is waaaaay smaller than any termite I've ever seen; even termite
pupae and larvae are much larger than that. The damage to the wood sure looks
like termite damage to me, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 5:01*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . 166, "Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

I added a pic to ABPW

How about posting a pic on the web, to some photo-sharing site? Lots
of us don't have access to ABPW.

Try this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42458793@N06/4022770427/

The insect is waaaaay smaller than any termite I've ever seen; even termite
pupae and larvae are much larger than that. The damage to the wood sure looks
like termite damage to me, though.

It's possible that there's termite damage and another bug as well.
Termites defend their territory pretty aggressively, so it's possible
the damage is from termites and older.

Google "wood boring insect tiny white" and click on the Images tab.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and on
two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each board).
At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY small. I took
laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am not sure termites
can be that small. I have google my butt off and cannot find any reference
to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

Smaller than anything I've seen, but I agree with what the fellow said
over on ABPW - get those boards away from the rest of your supply or you
could have a disaster on your hands. Turn 'em into firewood or put them
in a heated kiln for a few weeks to kill the bugs. What kind of wood
were they in and what kind of wood is in the rest of your supply?

I did a cursory search and didn't pin down any particular species, but
you might try looking on http://bugguide.net to see if you can figure
out what kind of bugs they are. That site has an *incredible* array of
photographs and resources. It didn't take me long at all to find the
little *******s that wreak all the havoc with Mesquite trees here in Texas:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/37159

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and on
two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each board).
At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY small. I took
laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am not sure termites
can be that small. I have google my butt off and cannot find any reference
to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

Albino fleas?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

No man is an island, but then no man
is a potato salad, either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like a "mite" to me.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05507.html

Small spider mite type bug. Should bug bomb the wood or you will
have them in the house.

Normally a vacuum is pulled and a bug spray is introduced.

Martin

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

I added a pic to ABPW

How about posting a pic on the web, to some photo-sharing site? Lots
of us don't have access to ABPW.

Try this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42458793@N06/4022770427/

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote in news:223ad18b-cc66-40f6-9504-
:

Google "wood boring insect tiny white" and click on the Images tab.

Just tried that. Don't see anything similar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:3zQCm.60121
:

Small spider mite type bug. Should bug bomb the wood or you will
have them in the house.

Normally a vacuum is pulled and a bug spray is introduced.

Problem! The wood has been in the house! Any recommendation on
insecticide to use that won't trash the wood?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.161:

Any ideas??

May have a winner?

http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index...te_those_white
_bugs_be

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
. 207.160...
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.161:

Any ideas??

May have a winner?

http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index...te_those_white
_bugs_be

Maybe it's a ........... Normite : p

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message

don't have access to ABPW.

....or even know what it is.

It's a binary news group.
alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

That would be alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Doh, is that what the "W" for?

A brain fart on my part.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message

don't have access to ABPW.

....or even know what it is.

It's a binary news group.
alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

That would be alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Doh, is that what the "W" for?

A brain fart on my part.

There is a forum called alt.binaries.pictures.furniture. Not used any
more by folks here. I took a look at it and found that the last real
entry was dated in mid-2008. After that there be naught but dragons and
spam.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

Nova wrote:

Upscale wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

don't have access to ABPW.

....or even know what it is.

It's a binary news group.
alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

That would be alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Doh, is that what the "W" for?

A brain fart on my part.

There is a forum called alt.binaries.pictures.furniture. Not used any
more by folks here. I took a look at it and found that the last real
entry was dated in mid-2008. After that there be naught but dragons and
spam.
mahalo,
jo4hn

I used to subscribe to both of them. That's why I got the two mixed up
as I was typing.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote:

Problem! The wood has been in the house! Any recommendation on
insecticide to use that won't trash the wood?

You have just raised the threat level from orange to red.

IMHO, time to quit screwing around and get a pro involved before you
expose your home to a greater threat than you already have.

If it turns out the bug is benign, chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help! Insect ID - GOOD NEWS

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am
not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

I sent a copy of the picture to the University of Maryland Extension
Service and got a reply. They say my bug is a "spider hatchling" and
nothing to worry about.

I am pulling all my lumber off the shelves and inspecting it anyway.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
. 153.190...
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am
not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

I sent a copy of the picture to the University of Maryland Extension
Service and got a reply. They say my bug is a "spider hatchling" and
nothing to worry about.

I am pulling all my lumber off the shelves and inspecting it anyway.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Dave

As a fellow Marylander, I appreciate the followup.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am
not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

I sent a copy of the picture to the University of Maryland Extension
Service and got a reply. They say my bug is a "spider hatchling" and
nothing to worry about.

Wonderful news!! Err,...where did all the wood damage come from?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
. 207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am
not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

I sent a copy of the picture to the University of Maryland Extension
Service and got a reply. They say my bug is a "spider hatchling" and
nothing to worry about.

Wonderful news!! Err,...where did all the wood damage come from?

You should take some of that wood and dissect it, looking for evidence
of larvae still buried deep within. I bet you'll find something...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 8:14*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
.207.165:

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and
on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each
board). *At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY
small. *I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. *I am
not sure termites can be that small. *I have google my butt off and
cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. *Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

I sent a copy of the picture to the University of Maryland Extension
Service and got a reply. *They say my bug is a "spider hatchling" and
nothing to worry about.

Wonderful news!! *Err,...where did all the wood damage come from?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

I believe this board had that damage when I acquired it. The picture
of the little bugger just happen to be on that board. The other one I
saw (I only saw two) was on a 2x4. I bought about 200 bf of misc oak,
cherry and walnut from someone in the area off of Craigslist for $50.
I will certainly be more careful with what I bring into the house. I
still need to inspect the cherry to make sure there is no other boards
like this one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 8:27*am, Steve Turner
wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
6.207.165:

[...]

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/- Hide quoted text -

I will cut it up on the band saw and see what I find.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Talk to a house exterminator. They "Bag houses" and gas them.

In the state I used to live in and had lots of wood art and crafts for sale -
they had to be gassed before delivery. Buy a redwood table and get it in a week.
They had a container - cargo type - that was sealed - put in a massive amount
of this week stuff - and suck it a bit - then fill it with gas.

They have the gas - and likely have a service. You might check the local
furniture for like effects - get all done. Or have the whole house bombed
as it might be in the house and got to the wood.

Suggest a home inspection for that item - and maybe save a wall or more.

Martin

insect screen ? Rick Hughes UK diy 12 October 4th 09 05:11 PM
Insect killers Mo UK diy 28 July 31st 07 11:19 PM
What insect is this? [email protected] Home Repair 28 October 10th 06 09:06 AM
Insect Screen GroovyGran UK diy 7 June 19th 05 08:02 PM