Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust collector power question

I got a steal (maybe) on a Jet dust collector. The tag says it draws 23
amps, which I assume is the peak amperagw on start up. I have a new 30
amp circuit in the shop. It's popping the 30 amp fuse each time I try
to start her up. Any ideas? I need to get my $2/BF 4/4 clear walnut
(minor gloat) cleaned up and the planer is spitting shavings all over
the shop, some of which I managed to track across SWMBO's rug. Not
pleased with me, is she. She fails to see the value in me spending six
of what we used to call boat units on this set up when I could buy
perfectly good finished stock at the lumber yard.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 9:23*pm, " wrote:
I got a steal (maybe) on a Jet dust collector. *The tag says it draws 23
amps, which I assume is the peak amperagw on start up. *I have a new 30
amp circuit in the shop. *It's popping the 30 amp fuse each time I try
to start her up. *Any ideas? *I need to get my $2/BF 4/4 clear walnut
(minor gloat) cleaned up and the planer is spitting shavings all over
the shop, some of which I managed to track across SWMBO's rug. *Not
pleased with me, is she. *She fails to see the value in me spending six
of what we used to call boat units on this set up when I could buy
perfectly good finished stock at the lumber yard.

Do you have anything else running on that circuit - like the planer?

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I got a steal (maybe) on a Jet dust collector. The tag says it draws
23 amps, which I assume is the peak amperagw on start up. I have a
new 30 amp circuit in the shop. It's popping the 30 amp fuse each
time I try to start her up. Any ideas?

Think INRUSH.

23A on a nameplate would indicate FLA, not PEAK.

My guess you are going to need a 50A service to handle the inrush
problem.

Lew

TEMPORARILY,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's all the data from the plate, Lew:

Here's all the data from the motor plate, Lew.

Volts: 115/230
Amps: 23/15
2 hp
1 ph
3450 RPM
2 pole
60 cycle

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

So ... can I swap use the #10 wire and up the circuit to 50 amps or
do I need to run #8?

You need #6AWG for a 50A service.

Do your self a favor and post the following name plate data from the
motor as follows:

Volts:_____________

Amps:_____________

Life may not be all that difficult.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

Here's all the data from the plate, Lew:

Here's all the data from the motor plate, Lew.

Volts: 115/230
Amps: 23/15
2 hp
1 ph
3450 RPM
2 pole
60 cycle

Bingo,

This is a classic case where you want to operate at 240V.

Reconnect the motor to operate at 240V.

Pull a 2P-30A service from your service panel and you are good to go.

Ain't life grand?

Have fuin.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Contact your electrician or electrical supply house. You need a
"slow blow" fuse to get everything up and running. The newer
SquareD breakers wouldn't run in my shop - the electrician changed
them all out in the panel. No problems.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

So ... can I swap use the #10 wire and up the circuit to 50
amps or do I need to run #8?

You need #6AWG for a 50A service.

Do your self a favor and post the following name plate data
from the motor as follows:

Volts:_____________

Amps:_____________

Life may not be all that difficult.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

746 watts per horsepower
volts x amps = watts
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I got a steal (maybe) on a Jet dust collector. The tag says it draws 23
amps, which I assume is the peak amperagw on start up. I have a new 30 amp
circuit in the shop. It's popping the 30 amp fuse each time I try to start
her up. Any ideas? I need to get my $2/BF 4/4 clear walnut (minor gloat)
cleaned up and the planer is spitting shavings all over the shop, some of
which I managed to track across SWMBO's rug. Not pleased with me, is she.
She fails to see the value in me spending six of what we used to call boat
units on this set up when I could buy perfectly good finished stock at the
lumber yard.

Larry

I seriousely doubt the tag is indicating peek. That is probably indicating
normal draw and starting up is going to be considerably more.

23 amp is pretty high, how big is the motor?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 9:23*pm, " wrote:
I got a steal (maybe) on a Jet dust collector. *The tag says it draws 23
amps, which I assume is the peak amperagw on start up. *I have a new 30
amp circuit in the shop. *It's popping the 30 amp fuse each time I try
to start her up. *Any ideas? *I need to get my $2/BF 4/4 clear walnut
(minor gloat) cleaned up and the planer is spitting shavings all over
the shop, some of which I managed to track across SWMBO's rug. *Not
pleased with me, is she. *She fails to see the value in me spending six
of what we used to call boat units on this set up when I could buy
perfectly good finished stock at the lumber yard.

Larry

Is the motor jamming up? It may have a large chip in the impeller
stopping it from turning...that would cause it to overload your cb. If
the impeller is turning it should suck air. Does it start sucking air
right away? If not unplug it and take it apart to check for
obstruction near or within the impeller assebly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Allen98 wrote:
On Sep 17, 9:23 pm, " wrote:
[...]

It sucks for a few seconds on start up, then pops the fuse. The top bag
fills up with air.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 9:49*am, " wrote:

It sucks for a few seconds on start up, then pops the fuse. *The top bag
fills up with air.

You could run an experiment to find out if its startup (temporary peak
current) that's popping the breaker, or its the normal load that is
doing it.

A dust collector is a centrifugal device. The amount of load (aka
current) is dependent on the amount of air its moving. If you
completely close the blast gate(s) in your DC system, the only air
that will move is small (leaks in the system) and should pose minimum
load on the motor.

Close the blast gates and start the dust collector and let it run. If
it continues running, then gradually slide open the blast gate to your
planer. If it continues running after a few seconds, then its the
startup current that's popping the breaker and changing to a different
characteristic breaker will fix the problem. You won't need to
increase your wire size or change to 220v service.

Having said all that, I am with the others and recommend changing to
220v service. Your DC motor will start faster and last longer running
on 220v.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:23:02 -0500, "
wrote:

I got a steal (maybe) on a Jet dust collector. The tag says it draws 23
amps, which I assume is the peak amperagw on start up. I have a new 30
amp circuit in the shop. It's popping the 30 amp fuse each time I try
to start her up. Any ideas? I need to get my $2/BF 4/4 clear walnut
(minor gloat) cleaned up and the planer is spitting shavings all over
the shop, some of which I managed to track across SWMBO's rug. Not
pleased with me, is she. She fails to see the value in me spending six
of what we used to call boat units on this set up when I could buy
perfectly good finished stock at the lumber yard.

Larry

You got the DC used. It's a 120/240 dual voltage motor. Is it setup
for 120v or 240v? Is your new 30amp circuit 240 or 120. 120v/30a
circuits are not particularly common so I'm guessing that it's 240v.
If your DC is setup for 120 and you're plugging it into 240, that
might be your problem.

If you got it used, don't go by what kind of plug is on the power
cord. Who knows what kind of games the previous owner might have
played. Open the motor's J-box (unplug it first, of course), compare
the wiring diagram on the motor to the way it's actually wired and
insure that it's connected for low voltage if your circuit is 120 and
for high voltage if your circuit is 240.

The motor should run perfectly well on a 30 amp circuit, even at 120v,
if the motor is set up to match the voltage being supplied. A properly
functioning 30 amp breaker will not trip from the startup surge from a
23 amp motor unless the motor is mechanically prevented from starting
or the motor is defective. A 50 amp circuit is definitely not
required.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Dust Collector question Vic Baron Woodworking 5 August 27th 08 09:13 PM
Dust Collector Question Dr. Deb Woodturning 6 January 28th 08 05:23 PM
Dust Collector Question Dr. Deb Woodworking 6 January 27th 08 10:30 PM
Dust Collector question TH Woodworking 7 February 10th 07 03:09 AM
Dust collector question [email protected] Woodworking 15 October 20th 05 09:17 AM