Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wednesday Auction

I see a No. 6 plane will be auctioned locally. It just says No. 6 in front
of the knob. I couldn't locate any other proprietary marks (maybe it was
made by Stanley for the Bridge Tool Co.)?

http://www.patented-antiques.com/ima...c/PA280373.JPG

It doesn't look as good as the one in the pic, but it appears to be the same
model. There is a little rust on the edges of the bottom. I thought it
might complement my #4, #5, and #8--though I read at Patrick's Blood and
Gore page that it was sort of "redundant"--being a lighter weight jointer.
It doesn't feel quite as good in my hand as my #8 for sure, it could just be
the replacement handle. The screw in the knob appears to go down awful far
too--like the knob needs to be replaced. Any comments about this plane?
Remember that statement about not being able to have too many clamps? Maybe
it applies to planes too? : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
[...]

In spite of Patrick's opinion of the #6, it's one of my favorite planes; probably the one I
reach for most often. It just feels right in my hands; not *heavy* like a jointer, but with
more heft than a standard #5 jack, which I think most people would reach for in the same
circumstances.

It's hard to make a recommendation on whether you should snag that particular plane without
knowing more about it; pictures would help. As far as it not feeling right in your hands,
the shape of the tote could be a definite factor. Even if it's a Stanley original, there
are many variations and I'm pretty particular about fitting all my planes with the variety I
like best.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

In spite of Patrick's opinion of the #6, it's one of my favorite planes;
probably the one I reach for most often. It just feels right in my
hands; not *heavy* like a jointer, but with more heft than a standard #5
jack, which I think most people would reach for in the same circumstances.

It's hard to make a recommendation on whether you should snag that
particular plane without knowing more about it; pictures would help. As
far as it not feeling right in your hands, the shape of the tote could
be a definite factor. Even if it's a Stanley original, there are many
variations and I'm pretty particular about fitting all my planes with
the variety I like best.

Thanks Steve. I think you are right. The shape of the handle is one
of the reasons it doesn't feel quite right. I'll keep considering it.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

subject line

How much is Pugsly requiring for an opening bid?

And, does Morticia know about this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 11:59*pm, "Bill" wrote:
Remember that statement about not being able to have too many clamps? *Maybe
it applies to planes too? *: )

No "maybe" about it.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
s...

subject line

How much is Pugsly requiring for an opening bid?

Well, I submitted an "offer-range" which I believe will be enough.

And, does Morticia know about this?

I explained that I'm "collecting" them now, like antiques, and
I expect that they are a good investment. Hardcopy of the
Grizzly catalog arrived in the mail today.. : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
s...

subject line

How much is Pugsly requiring for an opening bid?

And, does Morticia know about this?

I finally got it..... duhhh.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
I see a No. 6 plane will be auctioned locally. It just says No. 6 in front
of the knob. I couldn't locate any other proprietary marks (maybe it was
made by Stanley for the Bridge Tool Co.)?

http://www.patented-antiques.com/ima...c/PA280373.JPG

Bill

I secured the plane.

The old planes remind me that I won't walk the earth forever and represent
some ideals that have value to me. They are grand.

That brings my collection to #4, #5, #6 and #8, so I'll be on the lookout
for some of the shorter ones.

In case you may be in the market, I was surprised at how many different
RubberMaid containers, with lids, they had at Meijer (major retailer). I
bought one for about $10 that was 26" long and about 16" wide and about 5"
high that should work well for storing the planes (and other
similiarly-sized metal tools) inside in the winter. I'll just wrap each
plane with cloth of some sort. I was pleased with the price and quality of
the container, so I just thought I'd share that information.

Bill (trying to make the world a safer and neater place by gathering the
planes that have been left behind...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

The old planes remind me that I won't walk the earth forever and represent
some ideals that have value to me. They are grand.

I put at least a buck's worth of thought into that poem and no replies at
all!
About 2 years ago, when my dad was dying of cancer in the hospital, I
brought my
new Groz handplane (in the box) on one of my visits with him to share what I
was up to.
I was reading Garrett Hack's fine plane book then and my dad enjoyed looking
at that too.
So I guess the moral is, like I was just informing my wife, "Keep track of
where you put your
tools, or they will be useless to you...". Thank you Dad.

Bill

Wednesday 11 November 1663 DJC UK diy 1 November 12th 06 01:31 AM
Remember: Republicans vote Tuesday, Dems on Wednesday Kerry Woodworking 197 November 2nd 04 09:25 PM
Remember: Republicans vote Tuesday, Dems on Wednesday Charlie Self Woodworking 8 October 30th 04 05:16 AM