Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Joys of a cheap drill

I didn't want to use my good drill for sanding (inside bowls) so I
bought a Skil variable speed reversible for under $30. Right away I
spent $15 to replace the stiff plastic cord it came with. It has
worked faithfully for 4 or 5 years. Today it started sputtering and
stopped.

I had to completely disembowel the thing to get at the brushes. One
was worn to a nubbin and the other was nearly new looking. And they
are an odd size. I bought some the same thickness and cut them do the
right length and width and now it runs good again.

Next time I will probably go with a Makita tailed drill, or something
similar.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

How long a minute is depends on which
side of the bathroom door you're on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2009 3:04 PM Gerald Ross spake thus:

I didn't want to use my good drill for sanding (inside bowls) so I
bought a Skil variable speed reversible for under $30. Right away I
spent $15 to replace the stiff plastic cord it came with. It has
worked faithfully for 4 or 5 years. Today it started sputtering and
stopped.

I had to completely disembowel the thing to get at the brushes. One
was worn to a nubbin and the other was nearly new looking. And they
are an odd size. I bought some the same thickness and cut them do the
right length and width and now it runs good again.

Next time I will probably go with a Makita tailed drill, or something
similar.

In the spirit of anti-gloating, I can one-up you: when I needed a drill
for wire-brushing a rusted railing--a dumbass job for an electric drill
if there ever was one--I went over to my favorite recycled-goods store,
Urban Ore in Berkeley, and picked up a 1-speed drill for $5. The drill
will probably outlive me. It's actually better than most drills for this
kind of work since instead of the usual trigger switch, it has a big
slide switch on top that you don't have to either hold on to or lock
down to get the drill to run continuously. Plus it's solid metal, not
plastic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:04:32 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

I didn't want to use my good drill for sanding (inside bowls) so I
bought a Skil variable speed reversible for under $30. Right away I
spent $15 to replace the stiff plastic cord it came with. It has
worked faithfully for 4 or 5 years. Today it started sputtering and
stopped.

I had to completely disembowel the thing to get at the brushes. One
was worn to a nubbin and the other was nearly new looking. And they
are an odd size. I bought some the same thickness and cut them do the
right length and width and now it runs good again.

Next time I will probably go with a Makita tailed drill, or something
similar.

I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or so ago.. I
think it was $25 with shipping..
Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero maintenance..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or so ago.. I
think it was $25 with shipping..
Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero maintenance..

mac

I bought the cheapest hammer drill I could find, about 15 years ago...
turned out to be a little Skil 3/8".

I have used and abused that thing, including attaching it to a
drill-pump to suck water out of the basement during and after rains,
before the house was dry-- it ran for 8-12 hours at a time. It's been
left outside in the rain and snow, been dropped from a 30 foot peak onto
a gravel driveway, I think the concrete truck even ran it over once. :-)

It's in my garage and I still use it to drill holes in concrete.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or so ago.. I
think it was $25 with shipping..
Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero maintenance..

mac

I bought the cheapest hammer drill I could find, about 15 years ago...
turned out to be a little Skil 3/8".

I have used and abused that thing, including attaching it to a
drill-pump to suck water out of the basement during and after rains,
before the house was dry-- it ran for 8-12 hours at a time. It's been
left outside in the rain and snow, been dropped from a 30 foot peak onto
a gravel driveway, I think the concrete truck even ran it over once. :-)

It's in my garage and I still use it to drill holes in concrete.

I once had a skill hammer drill. It died. sigh

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

How long a minute is depends on which
side of the bathroom door you're on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:04:32 -0400, Gerald wrote:

[...]

I use a harbor fright close quarter drill but only used it on natural
edge bowls with the lathe stopped. My knuckles don't like for me to
use it in a deep regular bowl.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

How long a minute is depends on which
side of the bathroom door you're on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or
so ago.. I
think it was $25 with shipping..
Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero
maintenance..

mac

I bought the cheapest hammer drill I could find, about 15 years ago...
turned out to be a little Skil 3/8".

I have used and abused that thing, including attaching it to a
drill-pump to suck water out of the basement during and after rains,
before the house was dry-- it ran for 8-12 hours at a time. It's been
left outside in the rain and snow, been dropped from a 30 foot peak onto
a gravel driveway, I think the concrete truck even ran it over once.
:-)

It's in my garage and I still use it to drill holes in concrete.

I once had a skill hammer drill. It died. sigh

I have a Skill jigsaw, damn thing won't die, believe me I have tried.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Gerald Ross wrote:

I once had a skill hammer drill. It died. sigh

I have a Skill jigsaw, damn thing won't die, believe me I have tried.

--
Froz...

I have no skills whatsoever. ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

I once had a skill hammer drill. It died. sigh

I have a Skill jigsaw, damn thing won't die, believe me I have tried.

Where can I find these "Skill" tools of which you speak? :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
I once had a skill hammer drill. It died. sigh

I have a Skill jigsaw, damn thing won't die, believe me I have tried.

Where can I find these "Skill" tools of which you speak? :-p

Ok, one to many el's.
But drive to Toronto, you can have it. ;-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-12, -MIKE- wrote:

Where can I find these "Skill" tools of which you speak? :-p

I got the tools. It's the "cheap drill"?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:20:09 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or so ago.. I
think it was $25 with shipping..
Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero maintenance..

mac

I use a harbor fright close quarter drill but only used it on natural
edge bowls with the lathe stopped. My knuckles don't like for me to
use it in a deep regular bowl.

Probably the same one I have.. I use it inside bowls a lot.. if that doesn't
work, I go to the power shaft..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 12, 12:20*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
I have a Skill jigsaw, damn thing won't die, believe me I have tried.

You mean Skil vibrator? Those things are sex toys, not wooddorking
tools.

Luigi

The Joys of Carpentry Tom B Woodworking 4 April 15th 07 11:51 PM
Cheap Hammer Drill sponix UK diy 1 March 31st 06 02:33 PM
drill your own water well cheap [email protected] UK diy 5 February 7th 06 05:05 PM
Cheap Chinese Mill-drill John Husvar Metalworking 42 December 3rd 05 04:41 PM
Oh the joys of hard wood Kevin Woodturning 15 June 21st 05 10:44 PM