Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Joys of a cheap drill

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:04:32 -0400, Gerald wrote:

I didn't want to use my good drill for sanding (inside bowls) so I
bought a Skil variable speed reversible for under $30. Right away I
spent $15 to replace the stiff plastic cord it came with. It has
worked faithfully for 4 or 5 years. Today it started sputtering and
stopped.

I had to completely disembowel the thing to get at the brushes. One
was worn to a nubbin and the other was nearly new looking. And they
are an odd size. I bought some the same thickness and cut them do the
right length and width and now it runs good again.

Next time I will probably go with a Makita tailed drill, or something
similar.

I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or so ago.. I
think it was $25 with shipping..
Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero maintenance..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I use a harbor fright close quarter drill but only used it on natural
edge bowls with the lathe stopped. My knuckles don't like for me to
use it in a deep regular bowl.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA