Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Angled Dovetails

I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:
- that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the
top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

Yes, check an old NYW on serving trays for details.

Rule of thumb:

If you can visualize it, can probably be converted to a 3 dimensional
product.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

Leigh for one will do angled dovetails, as well as the Keller and most
likely others, so yes, it is possible.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 8, 6:06*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. *What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? *Thanks.

JP

I could swear I watched Roy Underhill do that within the last year or
so.
But I might have been dreaming.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP

Leigh has instructions on how to do it on a D4.

I can e-mail you the PDF if you like. It is not for the faint of heart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 18:34:58 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP

Leigh has instructions on how to do it on a D4.

I can e-mail you the PDF if you like. It is not for the faint of heart.

It's on the website:

http://leighjigs.com/data/leighadt.pdf

It's better to do them by hand or on the band saw though so you get
the tails aligned with the grain rather than perpendicular to the
angled ends. The pdf addresses this at the beginning, telling you to
limit the angle.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP

Yes, but you must use metric angles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP

Yes, but you must use metric angles.

It is not necessary to use metric angles but probably easier.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP

Yes, but you must use metric angles.

It is not necessary to use metric angles but probably easier.

It avoids those pesky fractional degrees.
;-)
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

Keith Nuttle wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

I'm wondering if any of the dovetail jigs out there can cut dovetails
at an angle. What I'd like to make is a box with angled sides - that
is, the opening at the bottom is smaller than the opening at the top.
Is this possible? Thanks.

JP

Yes, but you must use metric angles.

It is not necessary to use metric angles but probably easier.

It avoids those pesky fractional degrees.
;-)

or those messy minutes and seconds.

Rob Leatham