Jim Bailey

Default Replace my drill - Advice ?

I've had my Makita 6201 9.6V drill for close to 9 years now. This thing has
a LOT of miles on it and is still mechanically great as near as I can tell.
However, the batteries now won't hold a charge nearly as long as they used
to, and I've noticed that the keyless chuck is getting difficult to loosen
after it's tightened - it should probably be replaced before I get irritated
with it.

What do you guys do when you really love a tool, but the cost of the parts
to bring it back up to speed make it questionable as to whether or not to
keep it or buy new ?

Along those same lines, what's hot right now in cordless drills ? I'm not
crazy about those long skinny battery Makitas - I like the shorter grip
better. I keep seeing some good looking PC's, Dewalts, milwaukees out there,
but obviously I haven't had to shop for one for a while !

jim bailey

Upscale

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. com...
However, the batteries now won't hold a charge nearly as long as they used
to, and I've noticed that the keyless chuck is getting difficult to loosen
after it's tightened - it should probably be replaced before I get

irritated
with it.

First see if you can fix the chuck problem. Oil it or whatever and then
decide if you can get it workable on the cheap. If that works out, then look
into having the batteries rebuilt and look at the cost of that. It's usually
much cheaper than buying new batteries, even if they are still available.
The battery problem can be solved without too much problem, so worry about
the chuck and decide from there if it's time to buy new or not.

searcher1

I've had a DeWalt for about 5 years now and the poor things been through
H*ll, dropped from ladders had paint spilled in it you name it! It still
works like new aside from the batteries not holding the charge like yours,
but I have three batteries and a fast charge so this is not really a problem
YET. It will still complete a room of drywall on a single battery.When she
does finally go I will replace it with another DeWalt most likely will get
an 18vt model.

Rich

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Leon

Generally speaking, it is normally just a little bit more to replace the
drill and it will probably come with 2 batteries, a charger,and a case than
it is to buy 2 new batteries by themselves.
I still have a Makita right angle drill that I got in the mid 80's.
Go out and put your hands on all of them and see which seems the best fit to
your hand. If you have a corded drill I would go with 12 volt. Personally
I do not like the weight of the higher voltage models. Panasonic probably
builds the best of all.

Seeker

One of the Woodworking magazines I forget which one I saw at Barnes & Nobles
just did a complete rundown on the latest cordless drills. I think the
Panasonic came out on top and the rest of the field close behind, seems like
the Milwaukee may have been second. What made the Panasonic stand out was
its battery performance which I believe is the most important anyway.

Unisaw A100

What made the Panasonic stand out was its battery performance

I'm getting next to nothing performance wise from my
Panty-sonic 12 volt. Anyone else having this problem?

UA100
Jerry Gilreath

CRAFTSMAN!!!!! :-)

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Jack Straight

"Jim Bailey" wrote

... what's hot right now in cordless drills?

About cordless anything.

Make sure it uses NiMH batteries, not NiCad batteries. NiCad is being
replaced in all kinds of battery powered devices now because NiMHs last 40%
longer, do not suffer from memory problems (convenient to recharge before
run down), and are less destructive to the environment when disposed of.
Silvan

Jim Bailey wrote:

What do you guys do when you really love a tool, but the cost of the parts
to bring it back up to speed make it questionable as to whether or not to
keep it or buy new ?

I let my son take it apart to see how its guts work, and I buy a new one.

Usually. Depends on what it is, really. For a cordless drill, I'd
definitely buy a new one. The new ones are better/faster/lighter/cheaper
usually. Of course, it bears noting that I don't actually own a cordless
drill. I borrow Dad's occasionally, but mostly I just use my trusty ol'
corded model that runs for as long as I care to pull the trigger.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

david

I like the Dewalt 14.4V...plenty of power, not as heavy in the hand as
the 18V drills. Got one for $100 on Ebay... As a carpenter, I use mine
alot. If I need more power, I can use my electric drills...

david

Leon

"Jack Straight" wrote in message
s.com...
"Jim Bailey" wrote

... what's hot right now in cordless drills?

About cordless anything.

Make sure it uses NiMH batteries, not NiCad batteries. NiCad is being
replaced in all kinds of battery powered devices now because NiMHs last

40%
longer, do not suffer from memory problems (convenient to recharge before
run down), and are less destructive to the environment when disposed of.

While your information here to get NiMH over the NiCad is correct, there
can be a problem with switching these type batteries.
The "traditional" NiMH batteries CANNOT be left in a charger to trickle
charge. NiCad batteries can be left in the charger. Also, the
"Traditional" NiMH batteries recharge life cycles are about half of the
NiCad batteries.

That said, the "NEW GENERATION, NiMH batteries can be left in the charger
indefinitely and have a recharge life cycle equal to the NiCad batteries.

One should insure that the New Generation NiMH batteries are being used.