Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reoganized the shop

Got a proper dust collector (JDS w/ 1 micron cannister) and had to
bump out a wall a bit to make a little area for it and the shop vac.
Rearranged the tools to get the drum sander, band saw, and edge sander
close to the dust collector as I'm not ducting it all over the place.
As a bonus I have room to add in a planer now, up against the wall on
the right. I left the hose going to the drum sander long enough to
reach out to the middle of the shop where the planer would be in use.
You can't see the edge sander, it's tucked in the bay behind the drum
sander - the outfeed clears the top of it.

http://krtwood.com/images/shop/shop5.jpg

On the bench is the latest project, a modular jewelry box system.
Basically each drawer is its own unit and they stack, aligned with
four dowels. A different kind of challenge for me as usually it's one
ofs or things made in batches that don't have to perfectly match the
previous batch, with this I have to be able to make a near perfect
match the next run. Used a template and router for the dowel holes
and an 1/8" roundover on everything will hide any minor differences.

http://krtwood.com/images/shop/shop6.jpg

I used to have the bench as a pennisula against a shelving unit which
was against the wall. Now it's pulled out to the middle of the room,
which I always tried to avoid because of all the cords of the power
tools. My solution was to build sort of a power tool entertainment
center. Power strip in the back and everything is plugged in through
each tool's cubby. It's a little annoying having to get the cords
back in every time I use something, but not as annoying as a tangled
mess of cords next to the bench. On top is the dovetail jig, and I
built it to be at a comfortable height for that, higher than the bench
and having it used it now it makes a big difference. And then on top
of THAT is the spindle sander, which lifts off easily enough. I still
need to build a little box to go behind the akeda to hold all the
pin/tail guides.

http://krtwood.com/images/shop/shop7.jpg

I guess I have drawn that out for as long as I can and have to go back
to sanding now.

-Kevin