Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thompson's Water Seal

On Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 8:06:35 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
Is it any good, or just hype.

nb

So, I just bought a container of Thompson's Water Seal for wood... to cover bird houses...as articles had recommended. Very thin coat, and from what I'm reading here, I've wasted time and money on this product. It is a very thin coat, though I thought it would be thicker, more like a polyurethane glaze on the thin, not extremely thin, side. Told that Thompson's does protect against UV, but from this forum, looks like whoever told me was mistaken.. So - the answer, for a barely even novice, looking for both a non-toxic, waterproof sealer which protects against mildew, UV, etc... would be...? And as well, if we're to toss our Thompson's Wood Deck Stain and Sealer, which we were about to reply this year, what is the recommendation for the best Wood Deck Stain and Sealer?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 08:22:14 -0700, rhonda.hodas.hack wrote:

So - the answer, for a barely even novice,
looking for both a non-toxic, waterproof sealer which protects against
mildew, UV, etc... would be...?

When you find one, let us know :-).

Seriously, I don't think the "perfect" exterior finish exists. None last
for more than a few years and most only 1-2 years. If you believe the
statement that all finishes are non-toxic when cured, you could try
marine epoxy over shellac (SealCoat).

If you're keeping the birdhouses, my suggestion is pure tung oil,
reapplied every year. See:

https://www.dutchcrafters.com/Wood-F...ng-Oil/p/11419

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/16 6:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/5/2016 10:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

There is nothing that quite works as well as good ole "exterior"
grade paint. Any thing clear will have to be reapplied every 2~4
years.

Yep. If you're going to use TWS, you might as well take your money and
stuff inside the can.

I am constantly getting asked to pressure wash and "re-seal" decks. And
people ask about what the best "sealer" is. I always tell them, a high
quality exterior paint.

I also tell them the worst thing they can do to a deck is pressure wash
it. It forces moisture into the wood, raises the grain and makes it all
fuzzy and splintery. The best thing to clean a wood deck is a simple
mold-killing house wash with a light rinse from a hose or pressure wash
on a very low setting.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Thompsons water seal Jim Home Repair 4 June 1st 08 01:03 PM
Water seal for door. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 March 15th 08 10:42 PM
seal a water leak Karl Townsend Metalworking 17 August 13th 07 06:15 AM
Using Thompson's Water Seal Arthur UK diy 5 February 1st 07 11:13 AM
Thompson's Water treatment For Decks, Or... ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 18th 05 03:57 PM