Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thompson's Water Seal

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 08:22:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 8:06:35 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
Is it any good, or just hype.

nb

So, I just bought a container of Thompson's Water Seal for wood... to cover bird houses...as articles had recommended. Very thin coat, and from what I'm reading here, I've wasted time and money on this product. It is a very thin coat, though I thought it would be thicker, more like a polyurethane glaze on the thin, not extremely thin, side. Told that Thompson's does protect against UV, but from this forum, looks like whoever told me was mistaken. So - the answer, for a barely even novice, looking for both a non-toxic, waterproof sealer which protects against mildew, UV, etc... would be...? And as well, if we're to toss our Thompson's Wood Deck Stain and Sealer, which we were about to reply this year, what is the recommendation for the best Wood Deck Stain and Sealer?

Thompson's is just paraffin and mineral spirits. A waste of money,
IMO.