Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Extended length drill bits

I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a
bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

markndawoods

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markndawoods wrote:
I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a
bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

markndawoods

I don't know where you'll find the bit, but it brought to mind the use
of a lathe to do it.
That brought to mind the use of an 18"-ish bit to go in from each end.

BUT, that had be thinking about this... however you end up drilling it,
drill the hole in a thicker, square stock, then mount the stock on a
lathe and turn it down to a 1" dowel. That will ensure the hole is
centered.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote:

I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a
half inch bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am
unfamiliar with is a bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a
standard 5" HSS and followed with an electricians boring bit, but
that just lost center an blew out the side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits,
many without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause
tremendous damage in end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but
wondering if someone might already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps
someone has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

You need a ship's auger and a brace.

Start with Jamestown Distributors.

Have fun.

Lew

markndawoods

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Markndawoods" wrote:

[...]

Problem with those auger bits is all of them I have seen have the lead
screw. That has ruined numerous attempts at this.

I did not see anything there at JD that would meet the 30+ inch requirement
anyway. Maybe I missed it??

Thanks for the reply thought

markndawoods

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 9:55*pm, "Markndawoods" wrote:
I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a
bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

markndawoods

2 strips of wood 1/2" x 1" x 36"
Run a 1/2" core box router bit down the middle of both strips 1/4"
down. (Use a router table)
.. Glue them together (....mind the squeeze out). and round over the
edged of the square with a 1/2" roundover bit , again in a table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Markndawoods" wrote:

I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a
bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

Were I faced with this problem, I would seriously consider routing a
semicircular groove down two strips and then gluing them together. If
the hole down the middle needs to be perfectly circular throughout,
pulling a reamer through afterwards to get it to correct size sounds
more likely to work well than pushing a drill down from the ends. If
it's only a bit at the two ends that needs to be precise, then making
the central portion of the groove a bit oversized would simplify things,
too.

Finishing the outside once the hole is in the inside is, of course, a
comparatively easy matter.

Just out of curiosity, what is the final application of this? A floor
or large table lamp?

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is
a bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

markndawoods

OK, thanks for all the suggestion guys, but we missed the mark, perhaps I
should have explained what I am doing.

I need to drill these holes in 1" dowels, hundreds of them. Hence, I am not
turning these, nor routing them. As I stated, I already built a jig that
affords me dead on accuracy in test runs to center the hole, no problem
there. Somewhat of a production environment. Think of a curtain rod, 1"
dowel, 1/2" hole with a 1/2" dowel sliding into it, another short piece of
1" dowel glues on the other end. The purpose would be to "expand" the
capabilities of the rod. Make sense?

I did find a location for the bits, they are in Crystal Lake, IL. The price
is right, but they want to rape me for 16 bucks for shipping! Anybody live
by Crystal Lake, IL????

I really do appreciate the input!

markndawoods

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote:

Problem with those auger bits is all of them I have seen have the
lead screw. That has ruined numerous attempts at this.

Ship'a augers are designed specifically to remain centered when
drilling deep holes; however, made the assumption this was a thru hole
not a blind hole.

If blind, no way, have never seen them much longer than about 21"-24"
long.

If thru, then half way from each end.

If cost is a consideration, making two pieces and gluing together will
use lower total cost tools.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:090820092228473078%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Markndawoods
wrote:

As I stated, I already built a jig

No, you said you built a JUG, and gave no indication that this was a
production issue in your original post.

he he, so I did.. fat fingered again! My mistake

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote in message
I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is
a bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
side.

A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
already be buying form somewhere.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

Perhaps I am on my own!?

markndawoods

Sounds like this is going to have to come from some sort of build up, with
the hole formed in the build, then turned true to the hole. Depth of 60-72
X dia is asking a lot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2009 9:21 PM Markndawoods spake thus:

OK, thanks for all the suggestion guys, but we missed the mark, perhaps I
should have explained what I am doing.

I need to drill these holes in 1" dowels, hundreds of them. Hence, I am not
turning these, nor routing them. As I stated, I already built a jig that
affords me dead on accuracy in test runs to center the hole, no problem
there.

OK, this is the second time you've told us that. I'm just curious: how
do you know that you can keep the bit centered down this very long
length of dowel if you haven't located a long-enough drill bit yet?

I suppose it *is* in the realm of possibility that one could keep a 1/2"
drill bit centered inside a 1" dowel for the length of 3 feet, but I'm
skeptical.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

A variation of that would be to start with a dowel that's slightly
oversized, and cut in half with a band saw. Then the OP ends up with a
rounded exterior, if that's the goal. If the glueup is any kind of
problem the oversizedness (sp?) can be trimmed on a lathe.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markndawoods wrote:
[...]

You're basically trying to reinvent the wheel here. Google "gun drill".
One source for the specialized pieces you need is
http://www.sterlinggundrills.com/pro...grinding.shtml.

That said, for volume production routing is most assuredly feasible--it is
how pencils are made for example, and pencil factories produce them by the
million. Route the inside contour into rectangular blocks, glue them
together, then route the outside--no need to turn anything. The trick is in
the jigging and setup.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chop your wood up into pieces that can be bored, and then join them.
One end of the pieces can be bored a little bigger, and on the other
end reduce the outside diameter so that they fit

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markndawoods wrote:
: I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
: bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a
: bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
: with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
: side.

: A quick search on google showed various places selling long bits, many
: without the lead screw, which it turns out will cause tremendous damage in
: end grain g. So I can locate a vendor, but wondering if someone might
: already be buying form somewhere.

: Does anybody have any experience with something like this? Perhaps someone
: has a source they feel is reliable for such things?

: Perhaps I am on my own!?

If you search for "lamp drill" or "lamp auger" or
"D bit" on rec.crafts.woodturning, you'll turn up directions for making a
proper bit for this from drill rod. It just involves a special way of
grinding a flat on the end parallel to the axis of rotation.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 8:55*pm, "Markndawoods" wrote:
I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a

Suggest square stock, split length-wise then routing each piece with a
"half round (cove?) bit, then glue up the two pieces (using a waxed
1/2" O.D. dowel or aluminum rod/tube to align, perhaps), chuck in the
lathe and round to desired O.D.

After the glue up, you might be able to run a 1/2" bit down the center
(without "blowing out the sides") to clean up the hole.

Caveat - I have never tried anything close!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
Markndawoods wrote:
: I am needing to drill 30 - 36" into the end of a 1" dowel, with a half inch
: bit. Built a jug, centering etc not an issue. What I am unfamiliar with is a
: bit to go that deep. I tried starting with a standard 5" HSS and followed
: with an electricians boring bit, but that just lost center an blew out the
: side.

If you search for "lamp drill" or "lamp auger" or
"D bit" on rec.crafts.woodturning, you'll turn up directions for making a
proper bit for this from drill rod. It just involves a special way of
grinding a flat on the end parallel to the axis of rotation.

-- Andy Barss

http://tinyurl.com/km9gdj has just what he needs, except in 3/8 and
5/16" bits.

When I used to build lamps, I would split the blank in half, run a dado
down the middle for the wire, and just drill the end to the right size
for the threaded pipe nipples...

--
Jack
Got change: Bad === really, really, really, really bad!