Clark Magnuson

Default How do you cut off Cobalt tool bits to length?

I have a 2" long, 1/4" square Cobalt tool bit I have ground for cutting
internal threads with a boring bar.
The bit is too long to fit in the hole in the work.
My Dremel cut off wheel is very slow, and grinding an inch off would be
worse.
TIA

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
I have a 2" long, 1/4" square Cobalt tool bit I have ground for cutting
internal threads with a boring bar.
The bit is too long to fit in the hole in the work.
My Dremel cut off wheel is very slow, and grinding an inch off would be
worse.
TIA

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

Use a parting wheel to notch the tool all around and then give it a sharp
hit with a hammer. Place a piece of aluminum shim under one end so the cut
is not supported. Should break cleanly at the parting line. A parting
wheel should but fairly fast---you might find you want to just cut it in
half with one.

Harold

Harold

Grant Erwin

Use a parting wheel to notch the tool all around and then give it a sharp
hit with a hammer. Place a piece of aluminum shim under one end so the cut
is not supported. Should break cleanly at the parting line. A parting
wheel should but fairly fast---you might find you want to just cut it in
half with one.

Harold

What Harold said -- also, use an air die grinder with a cutoff mandrel
or a cheap cutoff air tool. Clark, if you don't have those, you're welcome
to come over and do it at my house. To break it, put the lower end in the
bench vise with the top sticking straight up, then put a rag over everything
and hit the top smartly with a hammer right through the rag. Else you may
never find the top piece (don't ask me how I learned this :-). - GWE
Ken Davey

Clark Magnuson wrote:
I have a 2" long, 1/4" square Cobalt tool bit I have ground for
cutting internal threads with a boring bar.
The bit is too long to fit in the hole in the work.
My Dremel cut off wheel is very slow, and grinding an inch off would
be worse.
TIA

Score it with the dremel, stick it in the bench vice and snap it off with a
well placed hammer blow.
Regards.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

jim rozen

In article , Clark Magnuson says...

I have a 2" long, 1/4" square Cobalt tool bit I have ground for cutting
internal threads with a boring bar.
The bit is too long to fit in the hole in the work.

1) notch one side of the tool all the way across, 1/16 or so deep.
A v-notch works best

2) place the tool in your vise, sticking straight up, with the
notch towards you.

3) cover with a rag

4) smack the tool with a brass hammer, away from you.

Jim

please reply to:

Kristian Ukkonen

Clark Magnuson wrote:
I have a 2" long, 1/4" square Cobalt tool bit I have ground for cutting
internal threads with a boring bar.
The bit is too long to fit in the hole in the work.
My Dremel cut off wheel is very slow, and grinding an inch off would be
worse.

The tungsten carbide metal saw blades (for metal
cutting hand saw, the "blade" looks like a piece
of wire with crystals), MEANT for cutting ceramic
tiles, do work really well for cutting hardened
metals.

Kristian Ukkonen.

Clark Magnuson

Grant Erwin wrote:

Harold

To break it, put the lower end in the
bench vise

OK,
I broke it.
That works.

I cut the internal threads.
They are not supposed to be left handed
I'm going to bed.

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.