Rob-J

Default Old craftsman bandsaw

I have an old craftsman bandsaw. I installed a new blade and would like to
resaw some lumber. When I start to cut, the unit bogs down to a stop. Could
it be the motor needs replacement? If so, any suggestions on where I can get
a suitable replacement?

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Rob-J" wrote:

I have an old craftsman bandsaw. I installed a new blade and would like to
resaw some lumber. When I start to cut, the unit bogs down to a stop. Could
it be the motor needs replacement? If so, any suggestions on where I can get
a suitable replacement?

Does the motor stop turning or the blade slips? If it stops turning it
could need replacement but electric motors don't usually lose power like
that. Usually, they either work or they don't. I guess the bearings could
be creating excess drag but I'd expect you to hear them squeaking. How
many HP is it? Maybe you don't have enough power or a very dull blade and
are having to push too hard.

Anthony Diodati

My thoughts as well,
Tony D.
"Leon" wrote in message
m...
You need to mount a 2 to 3 tooth per inch resaw blade.

Gerald Ross

Rob-J wrote:

I have an old craftsman bandsaw. I installed a new blade and would like to
resaw some lumber. When I start to cut, the unit bogs down to a stop. Could
it be the motor needs replacement? If so, any suggestions on where I can get
a suitable replacement?

My Griz 14" started doing the same. It was the motor drive belt.
Tightened it up and it works dandy again.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Rob-J

The blade is in properly and it is a 1/2" new blade. I checked in the manual
and it seems like everything is proper. I am not sure what HP the motor is,
I will look when I get home. The motor just bogs down and quits, I have to
backup the piece and start again. I think the motor just doesnt have enough
power for resawing. Could I just replace the motor with a bigger motor?

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
(Bruce) writes:

In rec.woodworking
"Rob-J" wrote:

I have an old craftsman bandsaw. I installed a new blade and would like

resaw some lumber. When I start to cut, the unit bogs down to a stop.

Could

[...]

many HP is it? Maybe you don't have enough power or a very dull blade

and
are having to push too hard.

Or a sharp blade but mounted the wrong way so you try to cut with the
backs of the teeth...
--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Rob-J" wrote:

The blade is in properly and it is a 1/2" new blade. I checked in the manual
and it seems like everything is proper. I am not sure what HP the motor is,
I will look when I get home. The motor just bogs down and quits, I have to
backup the piece and start again. I think the motor just doesnt have enough
power for resawing. Could I just replace the motor with a bigger motor?

I'm sure you know the manufacturer doesn't recommend you put a bigger motor
on. That said, I've considered doing exactly that for my table saw and I'm
not worried about it at all.

I have resawn 6" walnut and 9" hard maple with my 14" Go555 Grizzly and I
don't believe I could bog it if I wanted too. I've pushed very hard just
to see and it didn't bog, just started cutting crooked. I let the blade do
the work.

Gerald Ross

Rob-J wrote:
Can yours resaw a 6" board?

Yep. It will also split as big a log as I can get in it. I have the
riser kit. I made a circle cutting jig and routinely cut bowl turning
blanks out of log halves with no problem.

Rob-J wrote:

I have an old craftsman bandsaw. I installed a new blade and would like

resaw some lumber. When I start to cut, the unit bogs down to a stop.

Could
it be the motor needs replacement? If so, any suggestions on where I can

get
a suitable replacement?

My Griz 14" started doing the same. It was the motor drive belt.
Tightened it up and it works dandy again.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"
Never enough time, unless you're
serving it.

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"
Never enough time, unless you're
serving it.

Bridger

In rec.woodworking
"Rob-J" wrote:

I have an old craftsman bandsaw.

which saw is it?
I have the parks/craftsman 18" saw.

http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Parks/18BS-Operation.pdf

it's pretty good. if yours is the same I may be able to help you with
it.
Bridger