Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ikea hidden passageway

Ikea is making a bookcase that doubles as a secret door. Or maybe you use
their bookcases to construct the hidden passage.

Anyway:
http://gizmodo.com/5308341/diy-secre...y-to-your-home

Presumably the secret room is smaller than the entrance room. For that
reason, I'd have the doorway swing outward...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ikea is making a bookcase that doubles as a secret door. Or maybe you use
their bookcases to construct the hidden passage.

Unless I've misread something, it looks like it's a home made setup using
some Ikea Billy book cases. I don't think Ikea is selling the hidden
passage concept. They just happen to market the book cases.

Hidden passageways have been discussed here frequently. More important than
the hinges which are mentioned and shown, is the means for which the weight
and supporting of the swing out part of the door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 6, 4:09*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ikea is making a bookcase that doubles as a secret door. Or maybe you use
their bookcases to construct the hidden passage.

Anyway:http://gizmodo.com/5308341/diy-secre...y-to-your-home

Presumably the secret room is smaller than the entrance room. For that
reason, I'd have the doorway swing outward...

The diagonal dimension of the 'plan' view of the book cases makes it
hard for me to get my head around.
Where the hinge is located, the diagonally opposed corner of the case
cannot clear the case beside it.... unless one angles the sides as
cord of a circle with the hinge point as its centre or leaves a gap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 6, 7:46*pm, Robatoy wrote:

The diagonal dimension of the 'plan' view of the book cases makes it
hard for me to get my head around.
Where the hinge is located, the diagonally opposed corner of the case
cannot clear the case beside it.... unless one angles the sides as
cord of a circle with the hinge point as its centre or leaves a gap.

I had the same thought, but the case on the right (the one with the
booze) is angled. I looked at the discussions and someone pointed out
the same thing you did, which prompted me to go to the "Lifehacker"
page on the passage.

thge discussion there says:
We used two Ikea Billy Bookshelves, and built a 'skateboard' out of
casters and some pressed board for the moving shelf to sit on. Then
hinged them together, laid out some hardwood for it to roll on, and
there you have it. The bar we also built, and it's angled so as to
make the door flush when closed without any collisions while opening

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 7, 1:29*pm, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 6, 7:46*pm, Robatoy wrote:

[...]

The picture doesn't really show that clearly, besides, that set-up is
such old hat, I hardly paid attention to it.

Clearing Toilet Siphon Jet Passageway Chuck Home Repair 6 July 18th 15 05:44 PM
Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
hidden door how to Keith Woodworking 7 February 22nd 06 04:23 PM
Trimming a deep passageway between rooms. Steven L Umbach Woodworking 11 December 19th 05 06:29 PM
Hidden door Jeff and Jennifer Cook Woodworking 12 January 18th 05 06:03 PM