Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Default hidden door how to

I'm designing a tub surround for a whirlpool tub in a small bathroom.
I'm using a nice tile at the top and wainscoating down to the floor
(I'm using a marine paint and anti-mold primer).

I would like to use the void between the surround and the tub for
storage - shamppos, etc. I thought about doors with frames but any
design I come up with looks wierd.

I thought about maintaining the continuity of the beadboard using a
hidden door.

Is there a practival way to do this?

Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Keith" wrote in message
I thought about maintaining the continuity of the beadboard using a
hidden door.

Is there a practival way to do this?

Easy. Rare earth magnets fastened to a removable panel using cups.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42363,42348

Posted to rec.woodworking
L d'Bonnie

Keith wrote:
I'm designing a tub surround for a whirlpool tub in a small bathroom.
I'm using a nice tile at the top and wainscoating down to the floor
(I'm using a marine paint and anti-mold primer).

I would like to use the void between the surround and the tub for
storage - shamppos, etc. I thought about doors with frames but any
design I come up with looks wierd.

I thought about maintaining the continuity of the beadboard using a
hidden door.

Is there a practival way to do this?

Keith

I built several doors using tongue and grove boards fastened
to plywood. They were fitted almost exactly into a wall covered
with the same boards.

I used barrel hinges

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...65&cat=3,41241

and push latches

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...399,41401&ap=1

If you didn't know the doors were there you wouldn't know
the doors were there. Just a tongue and grove paneled wall
until you pushed on the door and it sprang open.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

I can't take credit for this, but the contractor that installed our
whirlpool basically built a face frame around the sides of the tub, then
used cabinet doors that aren't hinged, but attahced via little snap-in
gizmos (technical term) located in the center of each side. If you're
interested, I'll take a few photos and post them in a.b.p.w. tomorrow..

BruceT

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm designing a tub surround for a whirlpool tub in a small bathroom.
I'm using a nice tile at the top and wainscoating down to the floor
(I'm using a marine paint and anti-mold primer).

I would like to use the void between the surround and the tub for
storage - shamppos, etc. I thought about doors with frames but any
design I come up with looks wierd.

I thought about maintaining the continuity of the beadboard using a
hidden door.

Is there a practival way to do this?

Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Keith wrote:
I'm designing a tub surround for a whirlpool tub in a small bathroom.
I'm using a nice tile at the top and wainscoating down to the floor
(I'm using a marine paint and anti-mold primer).

I would like to use the void between the surround and the tub for
storage - shamppos, etc. I thought about doors with frames but any
design I come up with looks wierd.

I thought about maintaining the continuity of the beadboard using a
hidden door.

Is there a practival way to do this?

I rip off the back edge of the groove on one piece and that becomes the
outboard edge of the door. It closes over the tongue of the piece
mounted permanently making a more or less seamless joint in appearance.

If the door is a hopper, which would be the most convenient for
accessing the bottles while in the tub, reverse the direction of the
beadboard pieces in the middle of the door and use a spline to tie them
together. Then you have a ripped piece on each side as described
above.

The hinge side is dependent on what type of hinges you want to use and
the thickness of the facing boards and backer board, if any. A piano
hinge would replace one of the beads and is not very noticeable, but it
is not invisible. Soss hinges or barrel hinges would come closer to
the invisible intention.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of using hinges as opposed to
latches. I'm going to google around because as I look at the barrel
hinges and the latch, I'm not entirely clear how they are installed.

The other concern that I have is how to cut the beadboard as to make
the doors look like they are not there.

Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Thanks for offering to post. I looked at woodworling online but could
not find the post. Not sure what to search on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

A hopper door is a neat idea for towels in our case. We have two
young kids we are so tired that we feel if we drank any wine that'd be
it out like a light. I installed this tub for my wife. I spent the
last two and a half years putting a workshop together and I build in 15
to 20 min intervals. This is my second project so I am really looking
forward to it. We have a small house and we want to take advantage of
the large space in front of the tub.

I think we are going to try a barrel hinge (a post above suggested).
I'm going to learn how to use this hinge.