Jeff and Jennifer Cook

Default Hidden door

I am in the process of building a new home and would like to have a room
that is hidden by a bookcase or antique buffet. Can anyone suggest a way of
doing this with either a hinge system or rollers that cannot be detected?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

Mark and Kim Smith

Jeff and Jennifer Cook wrote:

I am in the process of building a new home and would like to have a room
that is hidden by a bookcase or antique buffet. Can anyone suggest a way of
doing this with either a hinge system or rollers that cannot be detected?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

I think this very topic was discussed to death just about one year ago.
DAGS.
Upscale

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message news:csd2d2

I think this very topic was discussed to death just about one year ago.

Yup. If I remember rightly, the most popular preference was a rolling door
using skateboard wheels.

J T

Sun, Jan 16, 2005, 2:11pm (EST+5) (Jerry=A0Cordell)
claims:
Searched google groups for "hidden door" and came up with several hit
including the one referenced by Upscale

Yeah? Then try the archives, with hidden door, hidden room, or
just hidden.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...c.woodworking=
&lr=3D&num=3D30

JOAT
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.
- =A0Dale Carnegie

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:00:14 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"
wrote:

I am in the process of building a new home and would like to have a room
that is hidden by a bookcase or antique buffet. Can anyone suggest a way of
doing this with either a hinge system or rollers that cannot be detected?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

I built one a few years back. I used skateboard trucks for the wheels
because the floor was a bit bumpy. it worked well. I'll post pictures
to ABPW

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:51:04 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
wrote:

A fat lot of good it'll do you now. We all know you have a hidden room.

What sort of drill bit should I use for hot lava ? I'm having trouble
with the volcano-hollowing project where the brazed-in tungsten
carbide tips are melting and falling out of my masonry drills.

OTOH, the monorail is working really well now and the white jumpsuits
look great !

wrote:

A fat lot of good it'll do you now. We all know you have a hidden room.

What sort of drill bit should I use for hot lava ? I'm having trouble
with the volcano-hollowing project where the brazed-in tungsten
carbide tips are melting and falling out of my masonry drills.

OTOH, the monorail is working really well now and the white jumpsuits
look great !

They running a James Bond film festival on the telly over there Andy?
:-)

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Patrick R. Kane

[before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows
a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build
http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ]

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:01 -0700, s wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:50:51 -0700,
s wrote:
I built one a few years back. I used skateboard trucks for the wheels
because the floor was a bit bumpy. it worked well. I'll post pictures
to ABPW

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the skateboard
tracks (vice using casters).

I used soss hinges. the big ones are expensive (IIRC about $50 each)
but they worked a charm.
http://www.soss.com/

I thought that was what I saw in the picture.

My solution isn't much cheaper. I was looking at center-hung pivot
hinges (like the swinging doors to restaurant kitchens), which are
$100 to $150/set.

http://www.usbuildersupply.com/Rixson/ch_pivot_sets.htm or
http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/subcata...?subcat_id=211

Instead of centering the hinge on the "door", I'd move it to the front
edge of the cabinet, hiding the hardware behind a 3/4" trim board.
With this setup, I could get less than 1/16" gap all around the case.

Thanks for the additional info.

FYI, one more link on "invisible hinges"
http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...t=599&OrderID=
Bill Thomas

Jeff and Jennifer Cook wrote:

I am in the process of building a new home and would like to have a room
that is hidden by a bookcase or antique buffet. Can anyone suggest a way of
doing this with either a hinge system or rollers that cannot be detected?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

Greetings,

Check this URL: http://www.hiddendoors.com/