woodydelsur

Default Bandsaw Choices

I posted a message some time ago about going in on a bandsaw with a friend
of mine and I asked this forum for advise on how to go about it. It
appears that the best advise was not to do it...... Some recent events have
made me glad that my 1/2 of the bandsaw isn't sitting in his garage right
now.

Anyway, I'm now looking for a bandsaw to squeeze into my garage (hmm,
perhaps I can get rid of that chest freezer.....).

After attending the Houston WW show, I fell in love with the Laguna 16HD and
the MM 16. Problem is they both run about $2,000 and that's a little out of
reach right now. Two bandsaws that I am considering are the Jet JWBS-18
and the Laguna 14SE. They are both in the same price range. Also in the
same price range is the Laguna 16 (not the 16HD) but I've read too many bad
comments about it on the Laguna forum.

I would like a resaw capability of about 10" and they both have that. The
14SE actually has larger resaw capability then the Jet 18.

The Jet has a slightly larger max blade size, a larger table size, bearing
guides (not sure if that's good or bad), the blade tension handle is on the
bottom (good for those that are height challenged) and I have a $100 coupon
from buying their canister DC...... I'm a little concerned about the
quality.

The Laguna has a good reputation for build and the one I saw at the WW show
performed very well. The motor is slightly larger than the Jet (2hp vs 1.5)
and the overall construction seemed to be better than the Jet. They have
ceramic guides but, once again, I don't know if that's good or bad (seems to
be a religious topic in the WW world......).

I would appreciate any input, especially from anyone that owns either of
these two saws.

--

Woody
http://www.woodhashing.com

TeamCasa

Woody, I have the new Jet 16" It is a very good bandsaw. The 18" looks
just like it only larger. My friend got the Laguna 16. Hated it. Returned
it and got the Jet 16. Mine handles a 1" 3 TPI blade perfectly and resawing
like crazy.
Dave

"woodydelsur" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.usenet.com
Doug Cook

Mini Max is introducing a couple of new bandsaw on the lower end. I have no
idea what price, but they look like decent machines. I have the MM16 and
love it... and the way the company treats me.

Recommend you give them a call at least.

HTH

[...]

B a r r y

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:09:04 GMT, "woodydelsur"
wrote:

I would like a resaw capability of about 10" and they both have that. The
14SE actually has larger resaw capability then the Jet 18.

FWIW, I was recently able to use a riser-equipped,USA made Delta 14",
now known as the X5, and a Jet 18", literally back to back in a school
shop. I compared these two, as I could get the Jet for only slightly
more than the X5.

I bought the Delta, as I preferred it's overall feel and the higher
height of the table. I figure if I really need a bigger table, I can
always make a temporary top from MDF, or even use my shop made drill
press table. I don't really care about stuff like fences on bandsaws,
as I can usually make my own in a minute or two, with clamps and
scrap.

I haven't tried it, but would imagine that the Laguna should blow them
away, due to the price difference. If you feel that the Jet is in the
same league as the Laguna, try out an X5.

Have fun with whatever you buy,
Barry
Joseph Crowe

Hi Doug, et al,
Doug Cook wrote:
Mini Max is introducing a couple of new bandsaw on the lower end. I have no
idea what price, but they look like decent machines.

I talked to the MM rep at the Houston WW show. The new, lowend
bandsaws are made in Asia somewhere, perhaps Taiwan, not in Italy
like the MM16s etc. Just FYI.....I would really love to have a
MM16...it would do for my bandsawing needs probably forever, but
the Jet 14" one I own is marginal at best....
I have the MM16 and
love it... and the way the company treats me.

Recommend you give them a call at least.

HTH

Bestest Handsander

So? Taiwan will build to whatever spec you give them. You spec out a nice
machine, that's what you're going to get. Besides, I thought one of their
new saws was from Italy.

"Joseph Crowe" wrote in message
Hi Doug, et al,
Doug Cook wrote:
Mini Max is introducing a couple of new bandsaw on the lower end. I

have no
idea what price, but they look like decent machines.

I talked to the MM rep at the Houston WW show. The new, lowend
bandsaws are made in Asia somewhere, perhaps Taiwan, not in Italy
like the MM16s etc. Just FYI.....I would really love to have a
MM16...it would do for my bandsawing needs probably forever, but
the Jet 14" one I own is marginal at best....
I have the MM16 and
love it... and the way the company treats me.

Recommend you give them a call at least.

HTH

Stephen M

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
Woody, I have the new Jet 16" It is a very good bandsaw. The 18" looks
just like it only larger. My friend got the Laguna 16. Hated it.

Returned
it and got the Jet 16.

I'm curious, why did he hate it?