Posted to rec.woodworking

Default does all wood darken?

Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT
Posted to rec.woodworking

dustyone wrote:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 12:21*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
dustyone wrote:
Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

What time frame are you talking about? I suppose if you wait long
enough the wood would turn into oil, so yes, it would turn black. But
there's plenty of wood lying around this place that isn't continuing
to darken. I have some unfinished pine window trim that has been
sitting in the sun for years and it isn't getting noticeably darker.
If anything it's lightening up some after the initial darkening.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:
dustyone wrote:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

That's called "charcoal", Morris...

I don't see that at all, though, at least w/o moisture. Cedar, most
pines, cypress, etc., will eventually get a gray outer layer and from
then on are essentially stable as long as don't stay wet.

I'm not thinking on same lines as you; obviously you're not thinking
along same lines as I...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dustyone wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

My experience is that light woods darken and dark woods (walnut, mahogany,
etc.) lighten. Teak too lightens. I used to have a sailboat with an
African mahogany trunk cabin and a teak transom. Both became noticeably
lighter within a few months after sanding and varnishing.

Much also depends on what finish if any. I made my wife's desk of heartwood
hickory with sapwood hickory trim. The heartwood was medium, sapwood quite
light. The desk was finished with linseed oil, all parts became a medium
brown within a few months due to the oxidation of the oil.

Also, freshly cut wood color is different from that exposed to air for a
while; e.g, freshly cut walnut generally has a purplish cast, teak a
greenish one.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dustyone wrote:
Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

What time frame are you talking about?

Well, I have unfinished softwood that has browned significantly over the
last ten years or so.

I've paid attention to the effect of time on softwood and hardwood
furniture built in North America in the 1600's - 1800's shown on
"Antiques Roadshow".

And I've seen first hand how wood from 1000 years ago has turned black
as charcoal (without an intermediate oil stage, AFAIK).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

dustyone wrote:
Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.
All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

What time frame are you talking about?

Well, I have unfinished softwood that has browned significantly over the
last ten years or so.

I've paid attention to the effect of time on softwood and hardwood
furniture built in North America in the 1600's - 1800's shown on
"Antiques Roadshow".

And I've seen first hand how wood from 1000 years ago has turned black
as charcoal (without an intermediate oil stage, AFAIK).

Well that clears that up. When you said eventually you were talking
about a time frame measured in the hundreds of years. I'm not sure
that's what the OP was asking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dustyone wrote:
[...]

And a lot of that over that time period is accumulated grime and dirt
not simply the result of surface oxidation...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Every species has it's own characteristics. Pine will yellow and brown
if it is indoors and covered with a varnish of some sort but will Grey
and black if outdorrs and exposed to mositiure. Red oak will usually
lighten, agin unless moisture is present than it will black, etc. etc.

On Jun 21, 8:48*am, dustyone wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 3:59*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Every species has it's own characteristics. Pine will yellow and brown
if it is indoors and covered with a varnish of some sort but will Grey
and black if outdorrs and exposed to mositiure. Red oak will usually
lighten, agin unless moisture is present than it will black, etc. etc.

On Jun 21, 8:48*am, dustyone wrote:

Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Thank you all for your responses. The wood in question is curly maple
finished with rock hard table top varnish. Sounds like the answer is
"it depends".

CB

Posted to rec.woodworking

dustyone wrote:
[...]

It will darken.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dadiOH wrote:
dustyone wrote:
[...]

And the varnish will yellow...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:04:36 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

dustyone wrote:

Thank you all for your responses. The wood in question is curly maple
finished with rock hard table top varnish. Sounds like the answer is
"it depends".

It will darken.

Most of the reference books I've read agree. The only question is the
time frame.

I particularly remember a book on turning that emphasized form because no
matter how pretty the wood, it'll all be black eventually. And yes,
eventually was in the 100s of years.

Of course, one could always use paint and bury the stuff in a desert
pyramid :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

My experience is that light woods darken and dark woods (walnut, mahogany,
etc.) lighten. Teak too lightens.

Padauk, Cocobolo, and Cherry darken.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dustyone" wrote in message
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

NO! some get lighter but most get darker. IIRC Walnut will lighten with
exposure to light as opposet to Maple, Cherry, Padauh, Cocobolo which get
darker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dustyone" wrote in message

Thank you all for your responses. The wood in question is curly maple
finished with rock hard table top varnish. Sounds like the answer is
"it depends".

We have a Maple wood floor in our master bathroom . A mat sets on top of it
in one spot near a window. The wood has darkened from direct sunlight.
Under the mat it is a lighter shade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:48:52 -0700 (PDT), dustyone
wrote:

Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. I am surprised how
much my pine furniture has darkened with age. Not sure if ALL wood
darkens with sun exposure, but I'd like to know which one(s) do not.
There have been many times I avoided cherry due to its darkening
characteristics. What is aggravating is putting a vase, cloth, lamp
on a table for some months, then you can see the lighter shadow on the
wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Phisherman wrote:

Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age.

English walnut, maybe. Black walnut lightens.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rusty wrote:
"dustyone" wrote in message
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Generally light woods darken dark woods lighten

In other words, everything becomes dark beige.
;-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I turned a bird house out of an oily wood - name escapes me now -
and my beloved put it on a shelf (not for birds) that caught an hour
or so a day. It bleached and dried out and needed oiling to help it.

Might have been Cocobolo - but I can't recall - been 10-12 years ago.
[ wood used for bearings ? ] Hum

Martin

Leon wrote:
"dustyone" wrote in message
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

NO! some get lighter but most get darker. IIRC Walnut will lighten with
exposure to light as opposet to Maple, Cherry, Padauh, Cocobolo which get
darker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

[ wood used for bearings ? ] Hum

The standard for wooden journal bearings in marine applications has
been Lignum Vitae.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age. *I am surprised how
much my pine furniture has darkened with age. *Not sure if ALL wood
darkens with sun exposure, but I'd like to know which one(s) do not.
There have been many times I avoided cherry due to its darkening
characteristics. *What is aggravating is putting a vase, cloth, lamp
on a table for some months, then you can see the lighter shadow on the
wood. *

Many thanks!

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"dustyone" wrote in message
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

NO! some get lighter but most get darker. IIRC Walnut will lighten with
exposure to light as opposet to Maple, Cherry, Padauh, Cocobolo which get
darker.

Walnut will lighten? Does that work the same way as cherry darkens? Make
sure it gets sun exposure and leave it there to lighten up.

I have a walnut bowl that seems a bit dark and if all I have to do is
put it by a southern exposed window, I'd like to see how light it gets.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
: In article , Phisherman wrote:

:Pine, oak, maple, redwood, walnut darken with age.

: English walnut, maybe. Black walnut lightens.

So does French walnut. It can get close to a cream color
(after a hundred years anyway).

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
dadiOH wrote:
dustyone wrote:
[...]

Nah. The "Law of perverse statistics" applies. Whichever way you _don't_
want it to go is what it will actually do. grin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
Leon wrote:
"dustyone" wrote in message
[...]

Not very...it gets redder (than fresh cut) with golden overtones.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...

Walnut will lighten? Does that work the same way as cherry darkens? Make
sure it gets sun exposure and leave it there to lighten up.

Yes

I have a walnut bowl that seems a bit dark and if all I have to do is put
it by a southern exposed window, I'd like to see how light it gets.

I don't think it will lighten quite as quickly as the cherry darkens in
light exposure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 10:40*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Tanus" wrote in ...

Walnut will lighten? Does that work the same way as cherry darkens? Make
sure it gets sun exposure and leave it there to lighten up.

Yes

I have a walnut bowl that seems a bit dark and if all I have to do is put
it by a southern exposed window, I'd like to see how light it gets.

I don't think it will lighten quite as quickly as the cherry darkens in
light exposure.

Here is a link to a Japanese book (“Wood and Cellulosic Chemistry” by
David N.-S. Hon, Nobuo Shiraishi)
http://tinyurl.com/knpd6f

According to the book, there are many causes of discoloration:
chemical, biological and physical. Results for light-induced
discoloration is shown in Table 7 for 100 species of wood (but Google
shows only part of the table) Positive numbers show woods that
darken and negative numbers show woods that lighten.

According to the Table 7, American walnut should lighten, but window
glass will block UV from sunlight, so it may take much longer than if
left in full sunlight outdoors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Denis G. wrote:
On Jun 24, 10:40 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Tanus" wrote in

[...]

Whoa, STOP. The UV content of sunlight on the Earth's surface is mostly UVA
(the UVB and higher has mostly been absorbed by the atmosphere) and window
glass unless it has a UV blocking coating on it is about 90 percent
transparent to UVA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Denis G." wrote in message

Yes

[...]

That sounds very reasonable. Because I have never built any Walnut
furniture that was to be left out side in direct sunlight I have not
witnessed it fade "quickly". Cherry on OTOH will darken quickly. You
better be cautious about setting any thing on a new piece of Cherry
furniture that will block light as in as little as several weeks the wood
will darken around the protected/covered spot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

That sounds very reasonable. Because I have never built any Walnut
furniture that was to be left out side in direct sunlight I have not
witnessed it fade "quickly". Cherry on OTOH will darken quickly. You
better be cautious about setting any thing on a new piece of Cherry
furniture that will block light as in as little as several weeks the wood
will darken around the protected/covered spot.

Yep ... and, as you know, every time you walk in my house you can see
that the nice initial effect of inlaying walnut with cherry may not
stand the test of time.

The walnut lightens and the cherry darkens, making the inlay almost
disappear.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Yep ... and, as you know, every time you walk in my house you can see that
the nice initial effect of inlaying walnut with cherry may not stand the
test of time.

The walnut lightens and the cherry darkens, making the inlay almost
disappear.

Next time, reverse the woods. Inlay cherry into the walnut. That should do
the trick! Hindsight is 20/20. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20. :-)

You're right .. might as well be blind for the impact the effect has.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

That sounds very reasonable. Because I have never built any Walnut
furniture that was to be left out side in direct sunlight I have not
witnessed it fade "quickly". Cherry on OTOH will darken quickly. You
better be cautious about setting any thing on a new piece of Cherry
furniture that will block light as in as little as several weeks the wood
will darken around the protected/covered spot.

Yep ... and, as you know, every time you walk in my house you can see that
the nice initial effect of inlaying walnut with cherry may not stand the
test of time.

The walnut lightens and the cherry darkens, making the inlay almost
disappear.

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn darker
and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the same result,
except just the opposite. ;~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/2009 7:56 AM Leon spake thus:

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn darker
and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the same result,
except just the opposite. ;~(

Just a question: why do you always capitalize Cherry and Walnut? They're
not proper nouns, you know, and this ain't German.

Just curious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/25/2009 7:56 AM Leon spake thus:

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn
darker and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the same
result, except just the opposite. ;~(

Just a question: why do you always capitalize Cherry and Walnut? They're
not proper nouns, you know, and this ain't German.

Just curious.

Around here proper respect is paid to JOAT'S wooddorking gods, which
lurk in the two most elegant of hardwoods, way before any thought is
given to frivolous pursuits like grammar ... besides, it insures
wooddorkers cut only once after measuring only once.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2009 10:37 AM Swingman spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 6/25/2009 7:56 AM Leon spake thus:

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn
darker and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the same
result, except just the opposite. ;~(

Just a question: why do you always capitalize Cherry and Walnut? They're
not proper nouns, you know, and this ain't German.

Just curious.

Around here proper respect is paid to JOAT'S wooddorking gods, which
lurk in the two most elegant of hardwoods, way before any thought is
given to frivolous pursuits like grammar ... besides, it insures
wooddorkers cut only once after measuring only once.

Hmm; dunno what JOAT is, but I'll find out soon enough.

And that's sure better than my usual "Damn--I cut it twice and it's
*still* too short!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 6/25/2009 7:56 AM Leon spake thus:

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn darker
and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the same result,
except just the opposite. ;~(

Just a question: why do you always capitalize Cherry and Walnut? They're
not proper nouns, you know, and this ain't German.

Just curious.

You don't name your boards??

I want to emphasize the particular wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You don't name your boards??

ROTFL! ...

I want to emphasize the particular wood.

LOL ... that'll do it, for sure!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08